Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'd go and have a look for them in Rivers

But they could have lots.......or none
:drunk:

There would be a few in the old Yarra River from those hot summer nights of druken behavior ...do Rivers have the Snap Front..?

An article on ESPN about Lachie Neale. He states " I wouldn't have come to Brisbane if I didn't think they were closer to success [than Fremantle]". Freo fans won't like that, I've seen a few speculating they should be aiming for top 4. A big part of his reasoning to come to Brisbane was to escape the WA AFL bubble.

An article on ESPN about Lachie Neale. He states " I wouldn't have come to Brisbane if I didn't think they were closer to success [than Fremantle]". Freo fans won't like that, I've seen a few speculating they should be aiming for top 4. A big part of his reasoning to come to Brisbane was to escape the WA AFL bubble.
I certainly wouldn't be writing the Dockers off as far as improvement is concerned, bringing in Hogan and Lobb should be huge and straighten them up. Their midfield when at full strength is good IMO eg. Fyfe, Mundy, Hill x2, Cerra, Brayshaw, it lacks some depth though.

Interesting in an interview the other day Lachie Neale was asked about Fages and he said that he sits back and watches a lot which he wasn't used to after "Ross the Boss", to me it came across as a subtle dig at Lyon, a controlling head coach.

Pretty ordinary from whoever at ESPN inserted 'than Fremantle'. The full text reads to me as if he believes Brisbane are closer to success than they used to be. Nothing to do with Fremantle.

"We have seen in recent years that teams can rise up pretty quickly and hopefully that is us in 2019. We want to improve as much as we can and be playing finals. I wouldn't have come to Brisbane if I didn't think they were closer to success. I want success, I'm a pretty competitive person and I think Brisbane can."

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...lachie-neale-4000km-journey-escape-afl-bubble

I certainly wouldn't be writing the Dockers off as far as improvement is concerned, bringing in Hogan and Lobb should be huge and straighten them up. Their midfield when at full strength is good IMO eg. Fyfe, Mundy, Hill x2, Cerra, Brayshaw, it lacks some depth though.

Interesting in an interview the other day Lachie Neale was asked about Fages and he said that he sits back and watches a lot which he wasn't used to after "Ross the Boss", to me it came across as a subtle dig at Lyon, a controlling head coach.

Mundy isn't much of a mid anymore, SHill is cooked, BHill is outside and the other 2 are kids

Mundy isn't much of a mid anymore, SHill is cooked, BHill is outside and the other 2 are kids
Those “kids” are only a year younger than JBerry, McCluggage and Witherden, same age as Rayner and Bailey, a year older than Ely Smith. We’ve potentially got half a dozen or more “kids” in our best 22.

And SHill is about as cooked as Hodge and Rich.

We’re pretty much there abouts with Freo. We’ve just got more midfield depth and potential than they do.

Mundy isn't much of a mid anymore, SHill is cooked, BHill is outside and the other 2 are
kids

With the arrival of Conca I expect to see 22 yo Connor Blakey move into the midfield (has been playing half back)... FWIW, he played a majority of his junior football as inside mid and was an absolute gun...a prolific ball winner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those “kids” are only a year younger than JBerry, McCluggage and Witherden, same age as Rayner and Bailey, a year older than Ely Smith. We’ve potentially got half a dozen or more “kids” in our best 22.

And SHill is about as cooked as Hodge and Rich.

We’re pretty much there abouts with Freo. We’ve just got more midfield depth and potential than they do.

But the difference is; it's not Fyfe and then kids, we have Zorko, Lyons and Neale and then Berry and Clugg who are a year older. I wouldn't include Rayner, Bailey and Smith as midfielders just yet.

Hodge and Rich are back flankers. So is Hill who has soft tissue worries like the other (had serious calf surgery very recently IIRC). So the comparison is good and adds to my point that he isn't a genuine mid.

With the arrival of Conca I expect to see 22 yo Connor Blakey move into the midfield (has been playing half back)... FWIW, he played a majority of his junior football as inside mid and was an absolute gun...a prolific ball winner.

Blakey looks good but I still don't think they'll win enough of the footy through the middle. Conca isn't a good contested mid.

Blakey looks good but I still don't think they'll win enough of the footy through the middle. Conca isn't a good contested mid.
Yep, Conca is a defensive mid....since his injury has been playing as a halfback... Colyer was the other midfield/forward traded in

To be fair I think they ask this question to most controversial moves. I remember Beams was asked who was closer to the flag in maybe his first or second presser as a Lion, Collingwood or Brisbane, to which he smirked and quietly replied "Brisbane".

This is interesting, and it matches what I believe has been said by Fagan himself - encouraging players to take ownership of their actions and learn from their mistakes instead of being chewed out over everything. Must be a refreshing point of view.

In regards to Lobb and Hogan, it really depends on if Ross "the boss"'s heavily defensive game plan will be able to get the ball effectively to them. If you rewatch our game against Fremantle last year, or the Geelong game, they played too defensively and got nailed by a more aggressive play style.

To be fair I think they ask this question to most controversial moves. I remember Beams was asked who was closer to the flag in maybe his first or second presser as a Lion, Collingwood or Brisbane, to which he smirked and quietly replied "Brisbane".

This is interesting, and it matches what I believe has been said by Fagan himself - encouraging players to take ownership of their actions and learn from their mistakes instead of being chewed out over everything. Must be a refreshing point of view.

My mate played over 100 games for Freo, he always said that Ross would go absolutely spare at the lads if they were off their positioning in training drills be a few meters regarding zones, running patterns etc. Very much in control is Ross!!

I recall when Fagan came in there was a fair bit of speculation about the future of our assistant coaching group. Listening to some supporters, we had a bunch of no-name duds among the assistant coaches.

As it turns out, Fagan has kept a very stable group and now seems to empower them to take a lot of control of the team. If this is what Clarkson’s Hawthorn is like, then I can see why they’ve produced so many senior coaches because they let people grow.

Watch for a standout year from McCarthy now he’s not the key target.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

okay I must interject here
was talking to someone who said things at freo are dictatorial especially amongst coaching staff but in saying that people like bell and our president and fyfe are pretty straight forward and wont get pushed around.
Freos midfield last season was none existent mundy spends most time up forward fyfe, Bhill, Shill and blakely all injured
leaving a developing midfield exposed it was giro and Langdon on wings 1st and 3rd year players and banfield, cerra, brayshaw all first year players and Neale (he literally carried the midfield) did a lot of centre squares. Combine that with a poor forward line it helps explain why when fremantle were beaten they were thrashed.

your right blakely is developing into a gun and Shill is 28 so I think he can get past injuries still.
cerra didn't have the tank being his first year and often got exposed on two way running.
Our midfield is fyfe, banfield, valente, brayshaw, cerra, darcy( best young ruck in comp but still young) Langdon, Bhill, Shill maybe sturt and ross seems to like giro and crowden of those only fyfe and the hills are over 23 so still very young.
oh wait I forgot about conca him as well

freo fans are very excited for the future midfield of
C; Langdon valente sturt
Ruck; Darcy cerra brayshaw

The debate around who we will put in the forward line is lively over on freo boards and we are yet to come to a consensus on McCarthy.

Fremantle actually played a different plan early in the year before injuries but it was changed so our young midfield wouldn't get blown away each week essentially ross went into his shell started games with extras behind the ball that sort of thing. Fremantle supporters loved the new direction so we expect that new game plan to be our game plan of 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back