List four players who need to step up in 2017 for the Eagles to make top four.

Remove this Banner Ad

The usual culprits

Elliot Yeo - so much potential, where the actual * is it tho.
Jack Redden - This ones obvious, had a shocker every game, in every stat. weekly sub 10 disposals is ludicrous
Jewis Jetta - Another obvious one, although showed some solid signs in his last outing. I'm betting on an improve this season just from the glimpses he showed. (pls)
Will Schofield - Spuds the ball, makes some appalling decisions weekly and lost a lot of his pace. Been off him for a while to be honest, but I know that's not as popular an opinion as the ones above.

Honourable Mention
Chris Masten - I think he cops it here on BF way more than he deserves, his run is solid and has a huge tank however his efficiency and decision making needs a big improvement /ducks

E-mac - Back to his OG form, worked his guts out but just got smashed in every game he played. He has a fist like the hammer of thor, but his skills were not up to it in anyway. I'll put it down to the lack of confidence in his knee and all and that backline tactics change seasonally (hardest position to fall back into after long-term injuries imo), but he'd want to have a good year this year because I reckon he came extremely close to being trade bait a month ago

Liam Duggan - Touted as the second coming, I think he's more likely John the Baptist. He'd want to have some significant impact this year, or I think he'll be under a fair bit of pressure to get games (even if he is only 20).

Yeo, Duggan, Darling and Gaff.
Yes I said Gaff. The kid is a star. But if he could learn to play both inside and out and start kicking more goals then it will go a long way to setting us up for a top 4 finish

I feel like I read somewhere that he's bulked/bulking up this offseason to play more on the inside in 2017. I can't even picture what it would be like to see him as a mongrelly inside-mid tbh, be interesting to see if becomes a reality though

I feel like I read somewhere that he's bulked/bulking up this offseason to play more on the inside in 2017. I can't even picture what it would be like to see him as a mongrelly inside-mid tbh, be interesting to see if becomes a reality though
No chance he will even attempt to become a mongrelly inside mid.. would be ridiculous to take the best wing man in the game in his prime and try change his game. I'd imagine he is just working on winning his own ball a little more on the outside and being able to rotate through the centre to give Sheed, Shuey ect a chop out if need be.

I take this as players in or about to hit their prime who haven't yet lived up to their potential.
Jack Darling - after his first couple of seasons he looked like being able to win a game of his own boot and marking but has really not improved since those first few seasons. No major injuries so no reason he shouldn't have improved more than he has. A KPP that can make us so much better with a +20% improvement.

Elliot Yeo - with more high Yeo and less low Yeo we will be closer to a yippee yi Yeo year.

Lewis Jetta - I am putting it down to first year yips with a new team but still not what he should have brought. We need his speed and skill so so much so this guy is the standout in my mind as being the one who can improve us the most.

Hurn - yep I went there. He showed in the port game something he can do but rarely does, taking out Boat. Yes he has a big accurate kick but is our captain and can do so much more. His good games are great but his not so good is average.

Shred and Redd both coming back from injuries so I give them that.
Duggan still young and learning, if he doesn't step up this year then maybe on this list next year.
EMac and Lecca have already proved what they can do and just need to regain that confidence and consistency.

The usual culprits

Liam Duggan - Touted as the second coming, I think he's more likely John the Baptist. He'd want to have some significant impact this year, or I think he'll be under a fair bit of pressure to get games (even if he is only 20).

Not sure that is a good comparison given that he had his head delivered on a plate to a despot's daughter for offending her...

At least if he is the Second Coming he will be in one piece.

Hurn
Wellingham

We need a lot more drive out of the back half than we showed in 2016.

2 Mids who can win the footy.
I don't care who but we need 2 more blokes to step up and this assumes Shuey, Priddis and Gaff maintain their production.
I think Sheed and Redden could be the ones but happy for any of the group to stand up. If we can generate some cleaner footy guys like Jetta, Masto and Duggle will find it much easier going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hurn
2 Mids who can win the footy.

I don't care who but we need 2 more blokes to step up and this assumes Shuey, Priddis and Gaff maintain their production.
I think Sheed and Redden could be the ones but happy for any of the group to stand up. If we can generate some cleaner footy guys like Jetta, Masto and Duggle will find it much easier going.

I don't disagree with the above but would think Mitchell will be one of these. Really not sure what the best configuration of our midfield will be as so much depends on form but we look a better side with Sheed firing in the team. For me, we need Sheed fit and getting even better, could really do with Jetta's pace and skills, need more from Wellingham and need Gaff back to his best. May be a bit controversial, as Gaff is obviously quality at what he does and was very good at times last year, but I thought his kicking turned to crap last year and if he can rectify that, his possessions are far more damaging.

Not sure that is a good comparison given that he had his head delivered on a plate to a despot's daughter for offending her...

At least if he is the Second Coming he will be in one piece.
I was insinuating "the chop" but not inferring the powerful complexities of post-roman, Judean politics. I should have been more specific

Elliot Yeo - One of my favourite players, if Yippy Yi Yeo could return to his previous form of 2015 and continues to bring the X-Factor which we know he posses (breaking tackles, high flying marks, meters gained etc.) then that would help and could potentially make him an elite player.Key word is Consistency.
Shannon Hurn
- Had a quiet and inconsistent 2016, needed to have more impact on games as a captain. Bring back that all round grit and competitiveness that he brought to the side.
Jack Redden - Was recruited as link up and relief player for the likes of Priddis, Shuey and Gaff etc. Failed to show any signs of that last year. If he can get his body right and return to the form he was in during the later years of his Brisbane stint then I believe he could play a very important role in the midfield, that to the likes of what Stenglein did throughout 06'/07'
Mark LeCras/Jack Darling - I'm sure every WCE fan has a soft spot for Lecca & JD but over the past couple of years there have been one too many occasions where they both have minimal to no impact on games, especially the big ones. Both rely too much on the "over the top" crab like goals and both have lost pressure around the goals, only averaging under 3 tackles a game. Not enough for players who want to be deemed a "Dangerous". If these two can return to their previous form it will boost our forward line back to being potent and not so reliant on a fellow named J.K and with the likes of Willie Rioli and even Dan Venables breathing down their neck both will need to step up.

Honorable Mentions include Josh Hill, Lewis Jetta, Liam Duggan.

Elliot Yeo - One of my favourite players, if Yippy Yi Yeo could return to his previous form of 2015 and continues to bring the X-Factor which we know he posses (breaking tackles, high flying marks, meters gained etc.) then that would help and could potentially make him an elite player.Key word is Consistency.
Shannon Hurn
- Had a quiet and inconsistent 2016, needed to have more impact on games as a captain. Bring back that all round grit and competitiveness that he brought to the side.
Jack Redden - Was recruited as link up and relief player for the likes of Priddis, Shuey and Gaff etc. Failed to show any signs of that last year. If he can get his body right and return to the form he was in during the later years of his Brisbane stint then I believe he could play a very important role in the midfield, that to the likes of what Stenglein did throughout 06'/07'
Mark LeCras/Jack Darling - I'm sure every WCE fan has a soft spot for Lecca & JD but over the past couple of years there have been one too many occasions where they both have minimal to no impact on games, especially the big ones. Both rely too much on the "over the top" crab like goals and both have lost pressure around the goals, only averaging under 3 tackles a game. Not enough for players who want to be deemed a "Dangerous". If these two can return to their previous form it will boost our forward line back to being potent and not so reliant on a fellow named J.K and with the likes of Willie Rioli and even Dan Venables breathing down their neck both will need to step up.

Honorable Mentions include Josh Hill, Lewis Jetta, Liam Duggan.
Realistically i doubt Darling is worried about Venables and Rioli, maybe if Allen starts kicking 4 a game in the WAFL he will be worried but structurally Darling doesnt have much competition besides the old horse Petrie and maybe Vardy.

Top 4 is going to be a reach for us given our ruck division is comprised for the season as even after their returns Lycett and Naitanui will be underdone

It's our midfield that need to lift to cover the rucks so redden, Jetta, sheed and Duggan are the 4 that need to step up as players that can make an impact to assist Mitchell, priddis, gaff and shuey

That quartet has some class about them and if they fire it gives us an 8 deep midfield that can at least compete against the stronger groups
well i was gunna say Reddan Sheed Duggan and Jetta.......

This is a post boarding on a troll to stir up debate.

I like Hutchings, he's a dependable role player / defensive mid with a bit of size about him and who yes can kick a goal or two when given the opportunity. He also costs us nothing to draft and little in cap space and the type of player every team needs to build a competitive list, no one can afford 22 super stars.

Redden has played some good football and can accumulate and also can kick goals. 2016 was a poor season which I put down to surgery interrupting his preseason, he had no decent fitness base to build from coming into the 2016 season and it showed. Something I blame on our selection committee on playing him too early.

The bit about kicking goals is a troll. You can say that about Masten and we will all agree, it doesn't apply to Redden.
Watch reddans highlight package at Brissie;all of them are goals.Snaps,angles,long shots; thjis guy DOES know where the goals are.

Old mate Yeo just needs more consistency has a loads of ability and can be a match winner on his day ..

Lewis Jetta gave nothing in 2015 expecting him to be more than a overrated WAFL Player, has oodles of attributes pace and sublime footskills ..

Wellingham excuses ankle injury hampered his season which was just ok his attitude was fine but butchered a lot of kicks for my liking .

Giles I wasn`t expecting too much when we traded for him but this is why we recruited him to assist Nic and Scotty and losing both ruckman probably puts too much expectation on him ,just be competitive and involved ..

Old mate Yeo just needs more consistency has a loads of ability and can be a match winner on his day ..

Lewis Jetta gave nothing in 2015 expecting him to be more than a overrated WAFL Player, has oodles of attributes pace and sublime footskills ..

Wellingham excuses ankle injury hampered his season which was just ok his attitude was fine but butchered a lot of kicks for my liking .

Giles I wasn`t expecting too much when we traded for him but this is why we recruited him to assist Nic and Scotty and losing both ruckman probably puts too much expectation on him ,just be competitive and involved ..
Consistency haha he was pretty consistent last year. He needs a whack up the backside and to add effort to his game. Less front running more getting down and dirty at the coal face. Thats when he's his best, when he's get physical and tackling campaigners.

Consistency haha he was pretty consistent last year. He needs a whack up the backside and to add effort to his game. Less front running more getting down and dirty at the coal face. Thats when he's his best, when he's get physical and tackling campaigners.

Exactly right, Yeo tends to be a player who floats from contest to contest with no real desire to win the contested footy or to lay tackles/ play defensive. I think this is a major reason as to why he had a below par season in 2016.

Watch reddans highlight package at Brissie;all of them are goals.Snaps,angles,long shots; thjis guy DOES know where the goals are.
I think reddens best season was about 3 years ago,hope he can recapture that form

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I can't help but pick midfielders for this list as our engine room has been put at a huge disadvantage due to our ruck stocks being hindered. I feel like we can compensate if our midfield can lift itself into the elite category. 1. Yeo, he's gotta be here doesn't he? In a team that lacks X-factor he has an abundance of it. Can break games open through contested marking and line-breaking power like few other in the comp can.
2. Sheed, unfortunately he has been under performing as he has matched every criteria expected of him due to age and injury but because the team needs him to.
3. Redden, Obvious. he has the ability to take the pressure off Mitchell, Shuey and Priddis but whether or not he can actually perform will be a prime factor in eagles making the top
4. Jetta, Especially since I don't think we can get the same output of Lecras at his age nor do i have enough faith in Darling to excel past his current form. Then perhaps we could at least get more goals via this route as well as first class disposal to our big man Kennedy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back