Lonie and Motlop arrive soon. What will they say in their press releases?

Remove this Banner Ad

Please use at least 3 of the following in assembling your estimate of the new boys' press release. 'Port is a great club' is compulsory. 'Port is a great club with a strong tradition' earns an extra point if not too gratuitous.
* Port is a great club
* Port is a great club with a strong tradition
* Yeah no
* I was really pleased
* unlucky last year
* great bunch of guys
* a bit stale
* had some injury problems
* second chance
* I didn't really know much about the tradition at Port (Porthos, post #9, this thread
* My body feels the best it has in a long time (PJ Power, post #10, this thread)
* I'm looking forward to getting in a full preseason (PJ Power, as above)

Give me some more cliches and I'll edit them into the list

Example press releases -
Motlop
Thanks KG. Yeah no I'm pleased to be here. Port is a great club and I've got a few mates here. I had some injury problems last year and I'm looking forward ..... (continues)
Lonie
Nah Cornsey the Hawks were unlucky last year, they'll be around the mark this year. I was just a bit stale. I'm really happy to be here and I'm looking forward to next season. They're a great bunch of guys and Port is a great club with a strong tradition..... (continues)

Powerstufff said:
Please use at least 3 of the following in assembling your estimate of the new boys' press release. 'Port is a great club' is compulsory. 'Port is a great club with a strong tradition' earns an extra point if not too gratuitous.
* Port is a great club
* Yeah no
* I was really pleased
* unlucky last year
* great bunch of guys
* a bit stale
* second chance

Example press releases -
Motlop
Thanks KG. Yeah no I'm pleased to be here. Port is a great club and I've got a few mates here. I had some injury problems last year and I'm looking forward ..... (continues)
Lonie
Nah Cornsey the Hawks were unlucky last year, they'll be around the mark this year. I was just a bit stale. I'm really happy to be here and I'm looking forward to next season. They're a great bunch of guys and Port is a great club with a strong tradition..... (continues)
Motlop "I think I,ve hurt myself again coming in through the door"

Lonie has already been interviewed by the Tiser ... so here's an example.

It's time this Lonie became the Lonie
By ZAC MILBANK
13oct05

NATHAN Lonie's time has arrived. Overshadowed by his twin brother Ryan, Nathan is desperate to prove his worth – and Port Adelaide provides him with the perfect platform.

Traded to the Power by Hawthorn last week, Nathan is excited about making a name for himself away from his identical sibling at Collingwood.

"It was never a competition between us from (the start) but he's played more than 90 games and been in two grand finals," Nathan, 22, admitted.

"Now I've come to Port Adelaide to play in a successful side and in a grand final.

"Port Adelaide was a club we hated playing at Hawthorn because they come from a great background in footy so I'm looking forward to getting over there."

But proving he is his brother's equal isn't Nathan's only goal.

Those at Alberton who showed faith in him must also be repaid.

"It had nothing to do with not liking it at Hawthorn. Port want to give me a chance," Lonie, who played 12 games for the Hawks in 2005, said.

"I want to prove to the Port Adelaide people I can play and a fresh start is something I needed because it's something different."

One fan of Lonie's penetrating left-foot kicks is Port Adelaide coach Mark Williams, who has already earmarked a spot for the former Dandenong junior.

"He said there's a position for me in the midfield or at half-back and that he can see me playing a role for Port," Lonie said.

"So that made me really want to come to the club and I'm really looking forward to it." While living in Adelaide will be a completely different change of pace, Lonie has already been briefed on what to expect by his mate Kane Cornes.

"I've been mates with Cornesy since we went on the Australian youth tour to Ireland in 2000," Lonie, who will arrive in Adelaide next month, explained.

"He told me it was a good club to come to and I'm looking forward to playing alongside him.

"I'm going to live with him for the first couple of weeks before I settle in somewhere else."

Lonie's move to the Power now adds even more spice to the fierce Port Adelaide-Collingwood matches, with Darryl Wakelin's identical twin brother – Shane – also playing for the Magpies.

"Both of our brothers are at Collingwood so that should make it interesting and we have something in common," Lonie said.

ExpectToWin said:
Motlop: I just had a fight with my girlfriend so Im suffering from a strained relationship at the moment ;)

On the subject of Motlops girlfriend... Isn't it Wanga's sister??? :eek:

Nathan Lonie: I didn't really know much about the tradition at Port, apart from it being really successful in the SANFL and of course winning the 2004 premiership, but when you come to the club and meet everyone, you can feel the tradition of the place.

Both players:

"My body feels the best it has in a long time"

"I'm looking forward to getting in a full preseason"

In a few months
"I feel great because I have just completed my first ever full preseason"

"I want to play midfield"

"Choco has said I will be in the midfield mix"

JeNnO_powerfreak_21 said:
Put his head over the ball and IMO he will be THE Lonie.

What about under the ball? ;)

That was Scotty mate. ;)

Ha ha my bad. I can't even guess the Mole from a choice of two ... :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Me neither, I thought it was Graig! :(
I only saw one episode (the lobster episode) and guessed the right one. :D

Motlop will be excellent, as long as he stays injury free and he has a good attitude.

The fact that Brisbane and Leigh Matthews were willing to give up draft pick 9 for him says something.

I don't know a lot about Lonie. In the last half of last year, he had reasonably impressive stats. So he finds the ball. I have heard he tends to play a bit wide. Every team needs a bit of that, so as long as we strike the right balance between inside and outside players, I don't see that as being a huge problem. Also, I am sure Port can toughen him up a bit. For example, Jarrad Schofield toughened up a lot over the years at Port.

They appear to be better than last year's trades (Shattock and Walsh). Walsh was excellent I must admit, but is only s 2-3 year proposition, whereas Motlop and Lonie are 22-23. And of course Shattock did nothing and has several areas to work on (not holding the ball too long and focusing on the ball more often and not always the player). At best even with some improvement, I see Shattock as a steady half back.

Powerful Shane said:
Motlop will be excellent, as long as he stays injury free and he has a good attitude.

The fact that Brisbane and Leigh Matthews were willing to give up draft pick 9 for him says something.

I don't know a lot about Lonie. In the last half of last year, he had reasonably impressive stats. So he finds the ball. I have heard he tends to play a bit wide. Every team needs a bit of that, so as long as we strike the right balance between inside and outside players, I don't see that as being a huge problem. Also, I am sure Port can toughen him up a bit. For example, Jarrad Schofield toughened up a lot over the years at Port.

They appear to be better than last year's trades (Shattock and Walsh). Walsh was excellent I must admit, but is only s 2-3 year proposition, whereas Motlop and Lonie are 22-23. And of course Shattock did nothing and has several areas to work on (not holding the ball too long and focusing on the ball more often and not always the player). At best even with some improvement, I see Shattock as a steady half back.

With "some" improvement, even I could be a steady half back! :D

Hindsight is such a powerful tool, but it is alarming how keen we were to secure Shattock last year. Someone else might have the exact trade details, but from memory didn't we give up a second and third round pick and get a lower second round pick plus Aaron in return.

I think Williams lost patience this year with Shattock after about halfway through the season and that is a good sign as hopefully it means he won't be a gold pass holder in 2006.

Yeah, thats what we gave up.

For what its worth, I'm betting Shattock will be given a fresh start this year.

(The complete article was originally posted by Ford Fairlane in the Lonie thread.

Lonie shines in time trial
12:41:18 PM Mon 7 November, 2005
Alan Shiell
Sportal for afl.com.au

.....Asked whether he was surprised or disappointed Hawthorn was prepared to let him go (after 64 AFL matches), Lonie said: "Not really. Of course, all my friends I'd played with for years were there, but I was looking for a new start and Port Adelaide were good enough to give that to me, so I'm looking forward to repaying them and hopefully have a good year. It's a great feeling to come to such a great club ..…"

He's hit three fours in the one over. A delicate glance to fine leg, a lovely drive through the covers and a late cut through where third slip normally stands. All wonderfully controlled strokes straight out of the coaching manual. :thumbsu:

Powerstufff said:
* Port is a great club
* Yeah no
* I was really pleased
* unlucky last year
* great bunch of guys
* a bit stale
* second chance
* I didn't really know much about the tradition at Port (Porthos, post #9, this thread
* My body feels the best it has in a long time (PJ Power, post #10, this thread)
* I'm looking forward to getting in a full preseason (PJ Power, as above)

Just bringing this down so you can easily compare it with Lonie's first utterances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back