News Luke Beveridge meltdown in post game press conference, launches an extraordinary tirade at Tom Morris, apologises

Should Luke Beveridge be suspended?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbo suggesting Tom Morris should consider legal action.

******* spare us please Mark.
If you go out of your way to purposely impact on the livelyhood of someone for them simply doing their job, the law protects the victim of such accusation. He has every right to sue. I don't believe he will as most likely he would want to reestablish the relationship with the Dogs.

You know who needs to spare us? Every Doggies fan sticking up for their bully of a coach.

Tom Browne (allegedly) went to Shane Tuck's a funeral chasing a story

That is the lowest of the low (if true)

Michael Tuck and his family seem like the nicest possible people in the world, why a grub like Browne would choose such a moment to give them even more grief in their pain is true gutter trash ambulance chasing crap.

I remember that. Believe he was also accused of doing the same following John Kennedy's passing too.
Once is bad enough. Twice is unforgivable.

On Morris, I'm still yet to see anything that suggests Jesse Hogan was anything other than 100% on the money

Image-from-iOS.jpg

I remember that. Believe he was also accused of doing the same following John Kennedy's passing too.
Edit: sorry it was actually Kennedy Sr's wife.

Boy do I have egg on my face defaming poor Tom Browne.

The beginning of the end for a top coach. But the best are all a bit crazy and eventually succumb to a bit of hubris - see Clarkos last few years
Clarko never fired off like that to a journo. He roasted Mike Sheahan On the Couch for releasing information the week of a Grand Final and the timing of it and Mike acknowledged he overstepped the mark. Different situation here. Nothing Morris did was unethical nor against what his job entails and to receive a bake like that was unprofessional and not a great look for the coaching fraternity.

If you go out of your way to purposely impact on the livelyhood of someone for them simply doing their job, the law protects the victim of such accusation. He has every right to sue. I don't believe he will as most likely he would want to reestablish the relationship with the Dogs.

You know who needs to spare us? Every Doggies fan sticking up for their bully of a coach.
So the headlines News Corp have been running about Beveridge ‘disgusting’ Australia and questioning his mental state aren’t equally as defaming?

On Morris, I'm still yet to see anything that suggests Jesse Hogan was anything other than 100% on the money

Image-from-iOS.jpg
Bevo's got a far stronger case if true, but still not something I could see the MEAA involving itself with. Not that it really matters, as I mentioned before, they really have s**t all power.

Wouldn't surprise me if most journalists shat themselves more over being covered by Media Watch than having the MEAA on their case.

Image-from-iOS.jpg
Doesn't excuse Beveridge being an unprofessional campaigner attacking someone who was spot on, be angry at the people at your club leaking information.

3. Aim to attribute information to its source. Where a source seeks anonymity, do not agree without first considering the source’s motives and any alternative attributable source. Where confidences are accepted, respect them in all circumstances.

Some Idiot SSwans2011

This point number 3 is the issue as I see it. What possible reasonable motive could Morris’s source(presuming he has one and is not for example party to phone hacking or similar) within the Bulldogs have to disclose early selection information to a reporter and presumably consent to him reporting it?

So it would appear to be a breach of the journalistic code of ethics for Morris to be reporting this stuff and granting his source anonymity. And if people agree that is correct then wouldn’t Beveridge be right to call Morris’s journalistic standards into question?

Unless Morris can show a good reason why he is reporting this stuff he should be saying to his source(whether a leaking insider or a phone hacker or whatever) "I cannot report this stuff unless I can attribute you as the source."

Doesn't excuse Beveridge being an unprofessional campaigner attacking someone who was spot on, be angry at the people at your club leaking information.
As per the presser:
We need to get to the bottom of this. Obviously, we need to put our hand up and say that there's some leakage going on.

Seems there are a lot of people commenting that haven't even listed to it

3. Aim to attribute information to its source. Where a source seeks anonymity, do not agree without first considering the source’s motives and any alternative attributable source. Where confidences are accepted, respect them in all circumstances.

Some Idiot SSwans2011

This point number 3 is the issue as I see it. What possible reasonable motive could Morris’s source(presuming he has one and is not for example party to phone hacking or similar) within the Bulldogs have to disclose early selection information to a reporter and presumably consent to him reporting it?

So it would appear to be a breach of the journalistic code of ethics for Morris to be reporting this stuff and granting his source anonymity. And if people agree that is correct then wouldn’t Beveridge be right to call Morris’s journalistic standards into question?

Unless Morris can show a good reason why he is reporting this stuff he should be saying to his source(whether a leaking insider or a phone hacker or whatever) "I cannot report this stuff unless I can attribute you as the source."
... or do what Edmund does (which was also backed up by Wheatley this morning), make a call before releasing the story

Clarko never fired off like that to a journo. He roasted Mike Sheahan On the Couch for releasing information the week of a Grand Final and the timing of it and Mike acknowledged he overstepped the mark. Different situation here. Nothing Morris did was unethical nor against what his job entails and to receive a bake like that was unprofessional and not a great look for the coaching fraternity.
I distinctly remember Clarko abusing a local journo Brett Stubbs in Launnie after a game in his earlier days for the crime of reporting a couple of players didn't train. Only difference is he had the sense to do it behind the scenes after the presser.

A hell of a lot of people are addicted to the muck.

As evidenced by the reactions in this thread.

Tom Morris breathlessly scooped us 24 hours early that Lachie Hunter will not play. God Bless the Tom. Let's defend him, and uphold his right, nay obligation, to do so.

We are so obviously hooked on this muck after 40 years of Murdoch Conditioning.

NOT Muck. An entire valid football news story.

Muck would be some of irrvelenat personal life stuff.

It's standard journalism. A very very small story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bevo's got a far stronger case if true, but still not something I could see the MEAA involving itself with. Not that it really matters, as I mentioned before, they really have sh*t all power.

Wouldn't surprise me if most journalists shat themselves more over being covered by Media Watch than having the MEAA on their case.
Is the MEAA even binding, or is it voluntary?

For comparison, in broadcasting my understanding is that a breach of the Codes of Conduct attracts, in the first instance, a formal warning or a direction to comply with the Code (as it's registered under the Broadcasting Services Act 1992). It's technically not a breach of the Act unless you breach the codes after you have been given a direction to comply.

The world of subordinate instruments can be a tricky one.

As per the presser:

Seems there are a lot of people commenting that haven't even listed to it

Again you're trying to deflect away from Beveridge personal attack on someone. The sole point of anger should be on the people leaking and nobody else.

... or do what Edmund does (which was also backed up by Wheatley this morning), make a call before releasing the story

He didn't need to do that, it's team selection news and not some scandal.

Some Idiot SSwans2011

No.

Ahh the good old days where racism, sexism, bigotry, bullying, macho man world was the norm!

All you precious woke people not letting macho men do what macho men like to do should be ashamed of yourselves.

Tom Morris and Tom Browne should be beaten up, spat at and treated like garbage for doing their job.

Macho man High 5!
Ah yep because the journalists of today are such nice people to the coaches.

Talk about drawing a long bow.

He actually was - which Beveridge himself confirmed. It was always the plan for Hunter to be a medical substitute, and be the 23rd man, from the past Sunday.

JJ got injured in the warm up, so then Hunter came into the 22. Had JJ or no-one else got injured, Hunter would have effectively been omitted, because he would not have played a single minute in the game. The other 3 emergencies are considered 'dropped' - so I don't see why it's any different for an on field emergency, if they don't play in the actual game.

Again though, it's utter semantics - and the serious issue for me is that he ranted at him for 3 minutes over something so miniscule and inconsequential, without giving him any right of reply, and then left the room entirely.
The right of Reply? The guy's a journalist, he has a bigger platform than nearly anyone. Not to mention the platform of the arselicking industry to back one of their own.

Again you're trying to deflect away from Beveridge personal attack on someone. The sole point of anger should be on the people leaking and nobody else.

He didn't need to do that, it's team selection news and not some scandal.

Was it a personal attack? Or was Beveridge calling into question Morris’s professional standards/ethics?

Exacttly football matters are entirely valid tipic for journalism and one that is patiently absurd to seek club confirmation on,

Morris in this instance was doing a standrad jouralims. his job, inside word on club stargey or tatcics is journalism. If he used unethical means to get it no. But if somone freely leaked this stuff it;s juts journalism.

I fthe diogs are leaking and Beavo upset shooting themessnager relfects baldy on hisim and does nothing to fix the problem.
I still doubt the info got out willingly by the dogs. If it did then Luke wouldn't have flipped the s**t as he did. Even if it was someone else in the club walls passing on the information it still wouldn't make sense, as there are no logical benefits to giving that info away only a day out from team announcements.

It's also worth noting that Lachie Hunter himself only had a quiet 13 disposal game, and its debatable his training in the weeks build-up to the game was simply inconsistent. Somebody might've simply pointed out Hunter after Monday training and said something like 'He looked a little under the weather today didn't he?' but without directly implying he was even considered getting dropped. And it wouldn't surprise me if Tom Morris picked up on that and attempted to exaggerate the headline surrounding it. Just a pure guess of mine but I don't think its as simple as Luke just getting a little agitated after a loss, clearly more context than that.

I distinctly remember Clarko abusing a local journo Brett Stubbs in Launnie after a game in his earlier days for the crime of reporting a couple of players didn't train. Only difference is he had the sense to do it behind the scenes after the presser.
Your right but as you said he would never character assasinate publicly like Bevo did last night. He runs by his own rule book with this sort of stuff does Bevo. Likes to play the victim and everyone is against us card. Underdog mentality. It's growing a bit tiresome now. Coming across as a right sook with a chip on his shoulder.

Ah yep because the journalists of today are such nice people to the coaches.

Talk about drawing a long bow.

No statement of fact. Beavo effectly terminated the press conference because Morris did not leave. It was power play to effetcivelty shut Morris out form doing his legimate job.

He tried to bully Morris out of being abl to perform his job.

Back