News Luke Edwards not ruling out snubbing Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the (alleged) Edwards logic goes like this...

Jackson was aligned with the Crows, and all of the clubs knew it. The other clubs would have assumed that the Crows would select him in the ND, so they didn't put much effort into scouting him. By the time the Crows announced that they were only nominating him for the RD, Jackson's season was over and there was no more opportunity for the other clubs to scout the newly available player. This limited Jackson's chances of being drafted (ND) by another club, because clubs are rightly reluctant to draft players they haven't fully scouted, interviewed and backgrounded.

That logic is flawed on so many levels that it's not funny - but it's probably the way the Edwards family are/were (allegedly) thinking. It completely overlooks the fact that Jackson just isn't/wasn't a terribly good footballer, and that he just wasn't good enough to get drafted at all - Adelaide basically drafted him out of charity, knowing that it would only cost them their last pick in the RD.
Don't reckon many AFL scouts would have missed seeing Jackson play too often with his highly rated Glenelg teammate Darcy Fogarty [In Pick 1 discussions coming into that season] playing in the same games and every club represented at every Championship game from U16's onwards. It's just a cop out by Tyson really.

Such a ridiculous stance. By that logic, clubs that put in a F/S bid won't have done any research because they won't get them in the end. As if Sydney hadn't had a look at Jackson Mead last year, or North hadn't checked out Finn Maginness.

Yep. If a club rates a player they'll have a crack at them regardless of F/S or academy status. Hell, we've done it ourselves numerous times... Himmelberg, Thomas, Kelly (Will) that I can think of off the top of my head, possibly more.

Nobody had a crack at Jackson because nobody rated him. Tyson and family are utterly deluded if they think otherwise.

Don't reckon many AFL scouts would have missed seeing Jackson play too often with his highly rated Glenelg teammate Darcy Fogarty [In Pick 1 discussions coming into that season] playing in the same games and every club represented at every Championship game from U16's onwards. It's just a cop out by Tyson really.
I agree with you 100%. I'm explaining the (alleged) logic, not saying that I agree with it.

Tysons issue with the club are more than just Jackson.
When he fell out with Macca the club took sides and that left him with a bad taste in his mouth. The way he was treated by the club when he had cancer was another problem.

Yep. If a club rates a player they'll have a crack at them regardless of F/S or academy status. Hell, we've done it ourselves numerous times... Himmelberg, Thomas, Kelly (Will) that I can think of off the top of my head, possibly more.

Nobody had a crack at Jackson because nobody rated him. Tyson and family are utterly deluded if they think otherwise.
It's not helped by Mark Williams getting involved and telling Tyson Jackson was good enough, we'd screwed him and he'd get Jackson through via Werribee in the VFL where he's coaching. Jackson started off in the amatuer leagues and couldn't crack the main VFL side, then got injured and now he's back at Glenelg.

Just typical media trolling.

From the article itself:

Luke Edwards' manager Michael Doughty, of TLA, met with the Edwards family two weeks ago to discuss Luke's situation and said it was premature for Edwards to seek to determine his AFL future.
"Both Adelaide and Luke can't make a decision until after the season, and both parties are comfortable where things sit," Doughty said.

It's not helped by Mark Williams getting involved and telling Tyson Jackson was good enough, we'd screwed him and he'd get Jackson through via Werribee in the VFL where he's coaching. Jackson started off in the amatuer leagues and couldn't crack the main VFL side, then got injured and now he's back at Glenelg.
Feathering his own nest

Calm the melts people. Up until Michael Doherty's comments at the end (which implied absolutely nothing to fuel this article, if anything he was pouring water on it) this is all just some McClure grade BS speculation from Damo.

Is that you, Roo?

Who else but us could balls up the recruiting of the son of a 300 game player.

We whinge and moan at the advantages Vic clubs have had via use of this rule - we finally get a chance to get a leg up on a high quality kid and we may blow it?

The extent to which this club continues to shoot itself in the foot is just astonishing.

Hopefully it’s behind us, but with Chappo and Rooo still leading the charge, you couldn’t be confident.

Don’t know about that, most players would love to come to a team that’s average. They will play games early and get the chance to develop early unlike going to a Richmond and watching from the bench all day

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We‘ve largely been average for a decade or so, yet we don’t play kids early unless injury forces our hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would other teams have ignored Jackson? When we nominated to pick Jackson up as a rookie, it meant we were guaranteed to rookie list him - providing he got through the national draft without getting picked. My reading of the father-son rule is that by nominating him as a rookie selection we would have foregone the right to match a national draft bid. So, if, say, super-drafter Silvagni had taken leave of his senses and picked Jackson Edwards at 30, Jackson would have been a Carlton player and we wouldn't have been able to match.

I think Jackson and Ben Jarman are being mixed up. The Jarman‘s cracked the shits over being misinformed/misunderstanding of what we were doing re the F/S selection/process. The Edwards’ complained over the end result after their kid was delisted and they believed he’d been mishandled and that if he hadn’t been tied to us, another club would have taken more interest, drafted him and he’d have had something resembling an AFL career. Or, at least, a better shot than we provided.

I think Jackson and Ben Jarman are being mixed up. The Jarman‘s cracked the shits over being misinformed/misunderstanding of what we were doing re the F/S selection/process. The Edwards’ complained over the end result after their kid was delisted and they believed he’d been mishandled and that if he hadn’t been tied to us, another club would have taken more interest, drafted him and he’d have had something resembling an AFL career. Or, at least, a better shot than we provided.
Which all amounts to nought, clearly it's been shown his skill set/physical attributes just didn't measure up to AFL requirements.

Tysons issue with the club are more than just Jackson.
When he fell out with Macca the club took sides and that left him with a bad taste in his mouth. The way he was treated by the club when he had cancer was another problem.

Wasnt Edwards shopped to the Lions?

How did the club treat him? I don’t remember any bad publicity
Tyson Edwards had surgery for cancer during the pre-season. The club only agreed to extend his contract if he promised to play out the season in the SANFL if/when he was dropped. Edwards discovered that it was impossible to recover between games, while his body was still recovering from the cancer. As a result, his form fell away dramatically and he found himself dropped.

Instead of playing in the SANFL, as he'd agreed when signing his contract, he immediately announced his retirement. Safe to say that Neil Craig was not impressed, feeling that Edwards had reneged on his promise. As a result, the club initially refused to give him a farewell game.

Cooler heads eventually prevailed, and Tyson played one last game and was chaired off the ground as befitted a 300+ game player.

Tyson Edwards had surgery for cancer during the pre-season. The club only agreed to extend his contract if he promised to play out the season in the SANFL if/when he was dropped. Edwards discovered that it was impossible to recover between games, while his body was still recovering from the cancer. As a result, his form fell away dramatically and he found himself dropped.

Instead of playing in the SANFL, as he'd agreed when signing his contract, he immediately announced his retirement. Safe to say that Neil Craig was not impressed, feeling that Edwards had reneged on his promise. As a result, the club initially refused to give him a farewell game.

Cooler heads eventually prevailed, and Tyson played one last game and was chaired off the ground as befitted a 300+ game player.
Ah I do recall him saying something about his recovery time and went on to have a 39 posy last game bog

Ah I do recall him saying something about his recovery time and went on to have a 39 posy last game bog
He had an outstanding final game - the only game I ever watched the Crows play at Football Park. It showed just how much of a difference having an extra week off made to his recovery, and why he was right to pull the plug when he did.

Craig supposedly 'forgot' that he was recovering from cancer

Those who know me would know I would do everything I possibly could to keep going," said Edwards, adding Craig had been supportive of his plight during pre-season training and offered him time off to get him-self right.

"After a few rounds, Neil phoned me to talk about the game and I explained that I was really struggling with my energy levels. The coach admitted he had forgotten about my condition.

"It was becoming extraordinarily hard for me to meet the weekly requirements.

"So after round eight (when the Crows were struggling at 1-7) I had a meeting with Neil and said I would be happy for a young player to take my position for the betterment of the team and that I would retire immediately if that was the direction Neil wanted to take.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back