Luke Jackson vs Tim English

Who will end up the better player?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

How does it hide your flaws?

What flaws of English were hidden when he was 3rd tall forward behind Naughton and Bruce, what flaws in the ruck were hidden when Martin was the number 1 ruck?
Martin was never number one ruck. He was the worst player in the comp to play more than 10 games and a big reason why the dogs lost. Not English. Don't get me wrong, if I'm looking at who will have the better career, I'm taking jackson but I love how people blame English for the Bulldogs ruck deficiencies when the actual act of hit-outs are very overrated, especially around the ground where English excels at. Guys like Stefan Martin are a liability.

Safe to say English will be back in WA sooner rather than later

Dogs have too many talls up forward and it's obvious they don't rate his as a #1 ruck option

English simply isn't a first ruck, but he's playing there because Dogs don't think they have a better option. I dont think we will see the best he can be as a player until they do have a better choice.

Jackson is still early in his career, but has all the traits of a gun. However he also gets to play his preferred role of being the back up and number 2 utility, because of Gawn. This is exactly the role I reckon English should play.

Jackson probably end of career does it better though.
The thing is i am not sure he is even a 2nd ruck at the moment, Bevo would prefer to use Bont at some stoppages when English is in the same area. English is not a developing ruck, he is still barely competitive.

Darcy is younger and looks 10x better
Draper younger and already a hell of a lot better
Heck you look at the guys still really early in development Reeves and Lynch both held there own against Gawn this year.

The fact he isn't dominating games is not a concern, the fact that he can not go up against the top rucks and just compete 5 years in to the system is a big concern.

This poll is a bit unfair on English tbh. Jackson is a ridiculous talent and English isn't even a natural ruck (I think he'd be much better as a KPP).
English just isn’t that good to be honest. A bit of a ruck, a bit of a forward but not overly great at either. One of the dogs least damaging players.

Yeah no doubt there will be a time where he is offered huge $$$$$$

Kid is going to win a Brownlow
I really like Jackson but winning a Brownlow is highly unlikely.

Last ruckman was 1992 and there have been a few decent ones miss out.

He would need to morph into a genuine midfielder and I don't see that happening.

Lol settle down.
Unfortunately his role/position won't see him win a Brownlow. More due to umpire's voting than lack of potential.
Don’t reckon there’s been a ruckman that’s been the best player in the league though. Jackson has potential to not just be best ruckman but best player imo,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke Darcy won the MVP in 2002 and was a fair way off the Brownlow
Likewise Gawn won the coaches votes award in 2018.

No ruckman has been recognised as the best player in the league on a general public consensus,
Jackson has potential to be not just the best ruckman but the best player.

Likewise Gawn won the coaches votes award in 2018.

No ruckman has been recognised as the best player in the league on a general public consensus,
Jackson has potential to be not just the best ruckman but the best player.
He is not even likely to be the best player at Melbourne.

* oath Jackson could win a Brownlow.

He literally turned the grand final our way, roving his own taps and clearing the pill against the greatest midfield ever assembled.

When Dees recruited him the club said they saw him as a mid. I do too. It just so happens he is tall and can ruck a little bit.

Tim English? An ok KPF. That’s all.

I really like Jackson but winning a Brownlow is highly unlikely.

Last ruckman was 1992 and there have been a few decent ones miss out.

He would need to morph into a genuine midfielder and I don't see that happening.
Goodes won it as a ruck in 03 but yeah I agree that rucks have an almost impossible job with regards to winning it as a rule

Goodes won it as a ruck in 03 but yeah I agree that rucks have an almost impossible job with regards to winning it as a rule
Even then, Goodes only averaged 12 hitouts per game (only time he averaged double figures) and Jason Ball was the lead ruck that season.

Interestingly, Goodes only averaged 10 hitouts per game up to round 17 when Ball (averaging 15 hitouts) was in the side. Ball didn't play in the final 5 rounds and Goodes' average went up to 16.8 in those remaining 5 rounds as he took over the no.1 ruck mantle.

In essence, he was the second ruck/utility and kicked 20 goals.

While Goodes did take ruck contests he was essentially a midfielder.

If anyone thinks Luke Jackson can be as adaptable as Goodes, it is a very high expectation.

While Goodes did take ruck contests he was essentially a midfielder.

If anyone thinks Luke Jackson can be as adaptable as Goodes, it is a very high expectation.
He's the closest I've seen in terms of profile, but talent wise he has a long way to go despite how good he is at 19.

Interesting to look back at this thread now. English now looks like the best ruck in the competition and Jackson somewhat stagnated in 2022 and has had an inconsistent start to his career with Freo.

He’ll turn out really well, I have no doubt. But some of the hyperbole in here was a bit over the top.

Interesting to look back at this thread now. English now looks like the best ruck in the competition and Jackson somewhat stagnated in 2022 and has had an inconsistent start to his career with Freo.

He’ll turn out really well, I have no doubt. But some of the hyperbole in here was a bit over the top.
I think English is probably the second best.

He was beaten by Gawn just 3 weeks ago.

Back