Lynch (Richmond) V the Tribunal

Remove this Banner Ad

Obvious 1 week hey?
Yes... it is obviously a 1 week suspension, the MRO and tribunal are just run by morons... I said that earlier in this thread.

he punched him in the throat, I don’t really care about the outcome but it should be a week as all punches should be.

Dunno, thought after Gaff any high, closed fist strike is a suspension, regardless of impact. I guess they weren't serious about rubbing out that sort of behaviour after all. Don't really care he got off, but if you say you're gonna get rid of it, get rid of it. Too many grey areas.

On that incident alone it doesn’t deserve a suspension but think it is Atleast a fine based on precedent and surely a third fine in a row should be a week.

But what I don’t understand was their defence that Lynch was trying to get separation from Hurley to make a play at the ball. That’s all well and good apart from the fact the ball is out of bounds when he hits him. Even in the lead up to the hit, the ball is along the ground rolling towards the boundary. So how can that defence be accepted?

Atleast it would be a reasonable argument if his teammate had the ball and was kicking it to a leading Lynch...

We often have a go at club's for making really stupid arguments at the tribunal, so thought I'd call out the AFL this time. Their argument against Lynch was this:

"Gleeson added that "Hurley immediately clutched for his throat, saying that had there been no contact to the throat or chin, it was a "rather miraculous" piece of thinking from Hurley to clutch at his throat."

Did they forget that they fined vlastuin for that very thing in the same match? And vlastuin probably had much less time to react too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So does he get 3 fresh strikes now? Pardon the pun.

Yes... it is obviously a 1 week suspension, the MRO and tribunal are just run by morons... I said that earlier in this thread.

he punched him in the throat, I don’t really care about the outcome but it should be a week as all punches should be.
Everyone in the media all agreed it was a joke that it even went that far and it was a shove off but you are the bastion of truth and have decreed it deserved a week. I’d pick a different sport champ, afl isn’t for you.

Everyone in the media all agreed it was a joke that it even went that far and it was a shove off but you are the bastion of truth and have decreed it deserved a week. I’d pick a different sport champ, afl isn’t for you.
Oh damn the media which we all know is filled with the highest standards of sports journalism...

He struck him with a closed fist, that is a punch. I think punches should result in a week. I am entitled to that opinion.

I will stick with the AFL thanks 'champ'

Anyone who thought this was worth 1 week please show yourself out, you are everything that is wrong with the game.

it was always a nothing action IMO, Hurley hammed it up to make it look more than it was but that’s nothing we haven’t seen before from other players. Play on

Oh damn the media which we all know is filled with the highest standards of sports journalism...

He struck him with a closed fist, that is a punch. I think punches should result in a week. I am entitled to that opinion.

If you think that was a punch I feel you are quite delusional.

none of these types of incidents should ever even be fines, including the charlie dixon one. let em have some fun and show some aggression. no ones ever getting hurt from this weak s**t

On that incident alone it doesn’t deserve a suspension but think it is Atleast a fine based on precedent and surely a third fine in a row should be a week.

But what I don’t understand was their defence that Lynch was trying to get separation from Hurley to make a play at the ball. That’s all well and good apart from the fact the ball is out of bounds when he hits him. Even in the lead up to the hit, the ball is along the ground rolling towards the boundary. So how can that defence be accepted?

Atleast it would be a reasonable argument if his teammate had the ball and was kicking it to a leading Lynch...
As he said in his testimony, he saw the turnover happen and tried to get back to the square when Hurley started to engage in the tussle, so was trying to get himself free of that so that he could then present as an option. By time he had freed himself the ball had rolled out of bounds.

Forwards don't wait until the teammate actually has possession to lead, a lot of the work to get on the lead is done well before then. Same as the defender will do a lot of work to stop the forward from being able to lead, just like Hurley was doing.

His right hand is still recovering from surgery to repair the break so I doubt he can full close it to make a fist, hence why he used his forearm to push off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back