Player Watch Mark Keane (Retired 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrong. I did not wipe him. I presented my view of his performance in the one game I saw him play and rather than wipe him, I asked others who had seen a larger sample of his wares to give me a more comprehensive summary of what his strengths may be. If I had wiped him why would I be asking others to tell me more about his strengths? I would have written: "Keane is a spud. Delist him!" That's how you wipe a player. Your second paragraph was all that was required rather than the silly opening comment.

Gee Professor, you're getting to be more defensive than your mentor. I love the tats on your new pic. It makes you look more mongrel. I think you're popularity around here will soar.

well thats what I thought. I was wasn't talking about the salaries for the irish guys. I was talking about the extra coaching that they might be getting ....and all the beer money. Having known some irish guys, they wont do anything until you get them pissed.
well it's hardly worth stopping the experiment now. He can almost speak english. I'm sure his game will improve when his team-mates can understand him
You clearly don't agree with the recruitment of Irish players, that's fine. But once they're here they deserve to be assessed on their merits, not just because you have a thing against Irish players and by the looks of the above and the tone of plenty of your other posts, Irish people. Perpetuating generic stereotypes doesn't make your opinions any more valid, quite the opposite. Particularly when you're talking about top level athletes.

As for Keane, delighted he's staying. From the VFL games I saw last year and the pre season I think we will have a player, just needs to develop some pieces further. The more Irish the better

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

You clearly don't agree with the recruitment of Irish players, that's fine. But once they're here they deserve to be assessed on their merits, not just because you have a thing against Irish players and by the looks of the above and the tone of plenty of your other posts, Irish people. Perpetuating generic stereotypes doesn't make your opinions any more valid, quite the opposite. Particularly when you're talking about top level athletes.

As for Keane, delighted he's staying. From the VFL games I saw last year and the pre season I think we will have a player, just needs to develop some pieces further. The more Irish the better

You must be irish... and from your text it seems your educated.....and presumably sober

if that's the case, it only shows that there are exceptions to even the most rigorously tested stereotypes...

You must be irish... and from your text it seems your educated.....and presumably sober

if that's the case, it only shows that there are exceptions to even the most rigorously tested stereotypes...
Turn on your TV mate, there's two Irishmen playing in the Prelim

Was burnt by Bucks in hist 1st game. Is a see ball attack the ball key defender so should be at CHB, 3rd tall or a potential key forward was ridiculous playing him at full back. I like him, I also hope they persist with Tohill another year if they can. Tohill has attributes that could make him a player just needs more time and to back himself.

This kid is a gem, showed massive signs in the pre-season. Strong, good kick, reads the play very very well.

The assignment he was given against Freo was unrealistic IMO, Taberner is a strong forward who has burnt seasoned AFL defenders.

All I can think of is that they really rate him and wanted to quickly see if he was ready to replace Roughy.

This kid is a gem, showed massive signs in the pre-season. Strong, good kick, reads the play very very well.

The assignment he was given against Freo was unrealistic IMO, Taberner is a strong forward who has burnt seasoned AFL defenders.

All I can think of is that they really rate him and wanted to quickly see if he was ready to replace Roughy.
I think it was a case of who else have we got, needing time in the VFL to work through real game experiences

What am I missing in regard to Keane? They seem to have a very high opinion of him yet the one game I saw did nothing to make me think he was a future permanent fixture in our best 22. I'm not silly enough to wipe someone on one bad performance against top opposition, but I was looking for a glimpse of something, a dash of electric pace, an athletic leap, a prodigious kick...but I didn't see anything but an overawed, poorly skilled, poor decision maker on that day. Could someone who has followed him closely please tell me about his attributes and whether they believe he is the future?

Ive seen him quite a bit in the VFL...

Strengths: one on one competitive beast. Loves a contest, loves physicality, plays with aggression. At VFL level he usually beats his opponent and he is hard to get a kick on. Good reader of the play, knows the right time to peel off and intercept. Generally good disposal and decision making. Thanks to his non footy background Ive often see him do some unusual things like toe poking the ball into a team mates hands

Weaknesses: Pace and size. 194 cm is on the small end of the spectrum for a KPD these days. How will he go on the new breed of ruckman sized KPFs like Daniher and the King boys? I haven't really got a handle on this pace, but I worry that he may lack a yard, and isn't brilliant at defending the lead.

Lowish possession player and very much a negator rather than an attacking defender like Howe or Moore. I find these types the hardest players to assess jn terms of will they make it in the AFL. His pace and athleticism is fine for beating VFL quality forwards but can it translate to the AFL where KPFs are bigger and quicker? Well worth keeping on the list and a bit to like, so deserves a genuine chance, but Im 50:50 on whether he makes it

Ive seen him quite a bit in the VFL...

Strengths: one on one competitive beast. Loves a contest, loves physicality, plays with aggression. At VFL level he usually beats his opponent and he is hard to get a kick on. Good reader of the play, knows the right time to peel off and intercept. Generally good disposal and decision making. Thanks to his non footy background Ive often see him do some unusual things like toe poking the ball into a team mates hands

Weaknesses: Pace and size. 194 cm is on the small end of the spectrum for a KPD these days. How will he go on the new breed of ruckman sized KPFs like Daniher and the King boys? I haven't really got a handle on this pace, but I worry that he may lack a yard, and isn't brilliant at defending the lead.

Lowish possession player and very much a negator rather than an attacking defender like Howe or Moore. I find these types the hardest players to assess jn terms of will they make it in the AFL. His pace and athleticism is fine for beating VFL quality forwards but can it translate to the AFL where KPFs are bigger and quicker? Well worth keeping on the list and a bit to like, so deserves a genuine chance, but Im 50:50 on whether he makes it
Thanks for the detailed response. It makes me wonder why Keane's name was the first to pass from Buckley's lips when he talked about our future. It's frightening given you aren't even certain he's going to make it. Seems our stocks are thin indeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the detailed response. It makes me wonder why Keane's name was the first to pass from Buckley's lips when he talked about our future. It's frightening given you aren't even certain he's going to make it. Seems our stocks are thin indeed.
I think the main difference is that the coaching staff have access to footage of him from every single match that he's played. With this season in particular they would have way more of a grasp on his development than we normally would, as we've barely seen anything of any player in the twos. That's quite significant seeing as it's only his second year playing the sport.

I think a two year deal is perfectly fine, it'll give him a chance to develop and improve in terms of playing AFL, and as he's only 20 years old, give him a chance to grow into his body and put on some size and strength.

Just to touch on Tohill for a second, he impressed me with his leap and marking in that Carlton vs Collingwood practice match, whilst he's more raw and speculative than Keane I'm interested to see what he can do in his third year, if he gets one that is. Like Keane he's still only 20yo.

He is young and what l can gather improving very well. Aggressive, loves the contest. Half way though next season l expect him to be best 22.
Tohill will need another season.

Yeah, he was thrown in the deep end against Taberner. Taberner kicked more goals than Lynch, Riewoldt, Darling, Cameron and Hipwood this year. Was one of the form KPFs

Different game, but he worked his opponent under the ball well. Also good to see him play in front of the ball given Buckley's comments about his forward potential.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back