Player Watch Mark Keane - Welcome to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

using the ratio of games played to impact on the game, Keane was BOG (and no that’s not an Irish peat bog)

16 games of AFL. Can't find his VFL or SANFL stats but it can't be much more than that in the seconds. Must have played less than 40 games of Australian rules football in his life. Just an astonishing effort. Has to be in AA contention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

16 games of AFL. Can't find his VFL or SANFL stats but it can't be much more than that in the seconds. Must have played less than 40 games of Australian rules football in his life. Just an astonishing effort. Has to be in AA contention.
He was on Collingwood's list for 3 seasons so probably played the majority of games in that time.

We did very, VERY well identifying this one, especially as he didn’t really set the world on fire for the Pies
My mate is a pies fan. He says Collingwood were grooming him for the retirement of Roughead. Covid caused havoc with these plans and he somehow became available.

Awesome upside incoming.
Awesome pickup by the club.

He has a pretty rare combination of being hard-nosed and disciplined as a defender, but also being pretty creative and skilful on the rebound.

As a defender, he seems like the kind of player you'd just hate to play on. Always bashing into you, not scared to go back with the flight, and does most of the simple things well. Flies the flag for his teammates and seems pretty lippy too, which would be doubly frustrating since he's not easy to understand at the best of times :D

On the rebound, one thing I really like about him is that he just pulls the trigger immediately on his kicks. He sees a gap open up and he doesn't stop to think, ooh, can I get the ball there before it gets closed? Is there a better option? No, he just kicks it and almost always nails it, even when there is a very narrow window to pull it off.

Just quietly, we're building a pretty damn skilled backline. Worrell, Hinge, Michalanney and Keane are all above average when it comes to disposal by foot for guys who are 190cm+. Once Murray (who is also a good kick) returns and sends the Borlase/Butts revolving door back to the SANFL, we will have a full set of tall defenders who can kick.

We did very, VERY well identifying this one, especially as he didn’t really set the world on fire for the Pies

To what extent did we identify him?

I don't think we were proactive in seeking him out. The story goes he fell in our lap.

I guess we identified his talent enough not to turn him away.

To what extent did we identify him?

I don't think we were proactive in seeking him out. The story goes he fell in our lap.

I guess we identified his talent enough not to turn him away.

Kind of. Keane made a fairly last-minute decision to angle for an AFL return, and we just happened to be the club that had a vacancy due to McAsey having quit in the preseason.

If McAsey had just left at the end of the previous season, we almost certainly wouldn't have gotten him. At the time I was pretty irritated that McAsey had left us high and dry by signing on and then leaving right after the lists were finalised, but in the end it worked out pretty well for us!

Still, we wouldn't have taken him if we didn't think he was good. Between him and Murray, we've picked up two very good KPDs during the preseasons.

How former Collingwood defender Mark Keane joined Adelaide after quitting the AFL, returning to Ireland due to homesickness​

serious case of FOMO dragged Mark Keane away from the AFL.

“My mates were going out partying at home and I was here training, basically being a 30-year-old in their minds,” Keane tells this masthead.

“And they were being 18, 19, going out partying and I was thinking ‘gee, why aren’t I doing that?’”

Back in Ireland, Keane quickly reimmersed himself in local life.

“I had no intentions of coming back out,” he says.

The biggest change in 18 months was the itch Keane had to scratch was gone.

“A lot of my friends have moved on, not in college anymore, not getting that fear of missing out of being in college,” he says.

“They’ve all moved on to their own jobs and are getting on with their lives.

Chatting with an ex-Collingwood countryman, close mate Marty Clarke, got the ball rolling for his second AFL stint.

Keane thought he might have left his run too late.

It was January, club lists were presumably finalised.

But Clarke alerted him to Fischer McAsey’s retirement leaving a vacancy on Adelaide’s list.

Keane had hardly kicked a footy for 18 months.

“I had an Aussie rules ball over there but I hadn’t taken it out in so long, probably about two weeks before I got here,” he says.

Considering he had missed most of the Crows’ pre-season, his personal expectations for the year were low.

Being a sponge with his new coaches and teammates helped accelerate his progress.

“I settled in really well,” he says.

Keane is also sticking around for his first Australian Christmas.

He and the Crows agreed that his best chance at locking in a backline spot was by not going home during the festive season and instead have a good block of training.

When Keane returned from Ireland during the off-season, he had company.

Caoimhe has moved in to the place he shares with second-year Crows midfielder Hugh Bond.

“She loves being here, loves Adelaide,” he says.

What's his contract status? Have heard Carlton are interested in him. Would be wise to get him signed up if we don't already. Can't imagine Carlton would be the only club keeping an eye on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back