Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

Let me put it this way. The number one issue for Collingwood to address is the implementation of the ‘Do Better’ report findings.
[/QUOTE]
I reckon it’s Eddie McGuire dressed in a Browne suit.
Two of the dumbest posts i have read on this forum, god help us if you two have a vote

Dane Swan seems to be backing in the Korda crew, and isn't impressed by Jeff Browne's push so far:

“If Collingwood have an AGM at the end of the year why couldn’t Browne wait? Why does it have to be immediate and cause more unrest? I think it creates instability and I don’t think it’s the right way to go about it and cause unnecessary fractions in the footy club,” Swan said.

“Relationships and mateships that you take for the rest of your life are way more important than any game you win ... I think it is starting to ruin relationships and friendships because of what is going on and people are fighting back and forth.”

Swan, a popular figure among fans, said while he didn’t know the inner workings of the club, former teammate Paul Licuria and former interim CEO Peter Murphy, both current board members, were “two of the most trustworthy people I have ever met”.

He said he was prepared to state his case once he heard former president Eddie McGuire declare that he was not involved in Browne’s push for the presidency with McGuire telling Footy Classified on Wednesday night he was sick of being called a liar and it broke his heart that a contest for his former position loomed.

“Whoever was going to take over from Ed was f----d ... they need some clean air,” Swan said.

I share many of the above sentiments, particularly the bolded. Browne's bid seems like a cynical grab at the Presidency which only came once his mate no longer occupied the Big Chair.

I agree. I'm not getting where all this privilege misdirection is coming from. She apparently said she wasn’t interested in working under an agenda “of power and privilege”. I think that's more a reference to the coup than where Browne was born and bred. I think it says more about Browne that he can't (or deliberately chose not to) delineate the difference, than about her or that she misspoke.

I can't believe people here are taking it a step further and making it about white privilege.

Absolutley, the privilege in the phrase "power and privilege" has always referred to people with power believing they can do whatever they want.

Last edited:
It cost Ed his position, and will cost the club the Nike sponsorship if not fully enacted.
I’d say it’s absolutely the number one priority.
Why wouldn’t it be fully enacted?

The Do Better report didn’t cost Eddie his position. The culture over decades overseen by Eddie and resulting in the commissioning of the report did. Umpteen public gaffes did.

We only have one board member who predates 2018, none of them is under the intense personal scrutiny McGuire was while ensuring the report’s recommendations are implemented. They can go about their business at the appropriate pace, ensure sponsors are happy and that the members are engaged.

You make it sound as though we’re competing with 17 other clubs to see who can Do Better better! It’s either complied with or it’s not, so it hardly has to be the all-consuming albatross around our neck that you’re making it out to be.

most would agree that Browne is educated. in the sense that whilst he is yet to make his plan public I would suspect that when he had / has a meeting with Korda and co that he would put his thoughts on the table. and wouldn't just walk in say " I want 4 seats, and bye " the fact that the current board reportedly have shut the door on even Browne original request about a seat on the board in my view is poor management on the incumbents behalf. every organization should be looking to improve and self assess and be open to change. so having his AFL connections would be ideal, having his external connections would also bring a great amount of sponsorship to the table.

Did Browne submit to the application process or was he just expecting to be given a seat at the table? My reading of it was that he was just expecting to be given it. If so, isn't that exactly what all the hue and cry is about?

Sizer's power and privilege comments regarding Jeff were atrocious.
This guys has served as the AFL's lawyer for 20 years.
You only need to read his upbringing to see he doesnt come from riches.

He wrote the damn rules for the salary cap---something the current board mismanaged along with the football department.
We want him in to do a job the job to serve the best interests of the club and its members--he isnt coming in as a sugar daddy.

Seriously, the Korda letter in the paper that missed the mar and now the Sizer interview just hammering Jeff ----there's nothing more clear that we need change.

Wow, how to completely misinterpret what she said.

Wow, how to completely misinterpret what she said.
If so, she left herself open to it by a poor choice of words.

In any case, this whole thing is playing out like an episode of Big Brother... no wonder we’re near last and can’t manage the salary cap or trade period to save ourselves.

You're not doing any favours for the korda camp in taking this line. Sizer referred to Browne's privilege as an AFL insider and mate of Eddie and the fact that he just waltzed in and said that he wanted a position on the board..... white privilege is not a part of this discussion.

Neither is Browne's resume. The comment was about "an agenda of power and privilege" which is a reference to the coup.

interesting how browne is talking about korda's knowledge of the salary cap overpayment. Browne is a mate of Eddie.... Eddie would have known about it for sure. In fact, I knew that they were delaying payments for Treloar at least a year ago, probably longer. And that's me... I knew that they were delaying payments of players so that they could sign contracts with players asking for more money. If Browne didnt know about it when he was sitting around a bbq at Eddie's discussing the Pies, then I wonder what the two pie fans talked about.

Why wouldn’t it be fully enacted?

The Do Better report didn’t cost Eddie his position. The culture over decades overseen by Eddie and resulting in the commissioning of the report did. Umpteen public gaffes did.

We only have one board member who predates 2018, none of them is under the intense personal scrutiny McGuire was while ensuring the report’s recommendations are implemented. They can go about their business at the appropriate pace, ensure sponsors are happy and that the members are engaged.

You make it sound as though we’re competing with 17 other clubs to see who can Do Better better! It’s either complied with or it’s not, so it hardly has to be the all-consuming albatross around our neck that you’re making it out to be.
Unfortunately Browne and Hately seem intent on stopping the board going about their business. If it’s not complied with Nike will walk.

If that’s the case and it’s not about socioeconomics, Sizer needs to consult the thesaurus and find a more appropriate term than “privileged”.

Why? It was the perfect word. People just can't grasp the context.

Did Browne submit to the application process or was he just expecting to be given a seat at the table? My reading of it was that he was just expecting to be given it. If so, isn't that exactly what all the hue and cry is about?

I emailed Mark Korda the other week, told me to give me a seat on the board if he didn't want me to raise a ruckus.

Copied in the rest of the board, politely suggested that any of them could step down to give me my rightful place. Perfectly reasonable.

No reply. What a complete failure of leadership! Arrogance!

I'm thinking about contacting Browne to give him the chance to join my ticket and to abandon his fanciful plans for the presidency. I hear that he's a lot more cluey about these things, so I expect a favourable reply.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My take on this:
•Eddie was forced to stand down when he was tapped on the shoulder by Korda, Licuria and Murphy.
•The board opted for Korda over Murphy. Browne sees this as counterintuitive. Korda had sat on the board through most of Eddie's reign. Browne believes Korda must have been privy to the mess of the salary cap. That he was favoured over Murphy (a relatively new broom and the man who oversaw the club review in 2017) seems troubling to Browne and many members, including me.
•The current board then appointed Dr Brodie to the board, upsetting much of the membership base because of her 'anti-Collingwood' social media posts. Surely somebody on the board must have seen the awkwardness of this. Apparently not.
•It's fair enough for the board to stand as one and reject Browne's takeover bid. Browne had to be seen to be giving the board a chance to avoid an EGM.
Now that the board has rejected him, he will need to assemple a new 7 member ticket. He would have foreseen this eventuality.

It's now a matter of when David Hatley presents his petition. Ed said the other night, that the board would have 40 days to respond to the petition and then a further 20 days to call the EGM. That's my understanding of what Ed said, but I may have misheard that.

We really need the two men to sit down again to thrash out a compromise for the good of our club.

In any case, this whole thing is playing out like an episode of Big Brother... no wonder we’re near last and can’t manage the salary cap or trade period to save ourselves.

It's playing out like we're a 1950s footy club with a big ego competing to become the head honcho who makes all the calls, rather than a multi million dollar organisation with hundreds of employees and a code of governance.

interesting how browne is talking about korda's knowledge of the salary cap overpayment.
He’s right to do so. It goes right to the heart of the issue of the current board’s (minus O’Donnell) incompetence. Most of them were present when they allegedly influenced Guy to secure Beams at any cost. They oversaw a debacle of a salary cap position and then the trading away of two of our best players for pennies on the dollar, and another in the best 22. They rubber stamped caving early to Grundy’s demands and saddling us with a prohibitive contract for 7 years. Sure, Ed was the president, but the rest were either complicit or weak.

Unfortunately Browne and Hately seem intent on stopping the board going about their business. If it’s not complied with Nike will walk.
You’ve said that already.

If we don’t comply with workplace safety rules someone could be injured at work. Does that keep you up at night?

They have the report, they can implement the recommendations. Nike are posturing because they sell more shoes if they appear to be part of the solution (aligning with organizations who are sensitive to issues of race) than the problem (aligning with Lance Armstrong, Marion Jones, etc.)

He’s right to do so. It goes right to the heart of the issue of the current board’s (minus O’Donnell) incompetence. Most of them were present when they allegedly influenced Guy to secure Beams at any cost. They oversaw a debacle of a salary cap position and then the trading away of two of our best players for pennies on the dollar, and another in the best 22. They rubber stamped caving early to Grundy’s demands and saddling us with a prohibitive contract for 7 years. Sure, Ed was the president, but the rest were either complicit or weak.

I dont disagree.... but everyone knows who was running this club and setting the agenda. I'd be happy to give Korda the flick, but that doesnt mean that i want Browne to walk in with his white horse and give us his version of Maguire Mark 2. There is no doubt in my mind that Browne knew about it, because I knew that the club was delaying salary payments to pay for grundy, beams etc. I would argue that Geoff Walsh probably had more input into it than Korda and it's probably why he left town before the crap totally hit the fan. So let's run korda out of town too, but dont give the main job to a bloke simply because he says that he wants it.

He actually said it. You think he's lying about that?
And if the Do Better Report is the most urgent issue facing Collingwood at the present time, then I'll microwave my membership ticket and then eat it.
Well we all have different opinions about what we consider important.

You're not doing any favours for the korda camp in taking this line. Sizer referred to Browne's privilege as an AFL insider and mate of Eddie and the fact that he just waltzed in and said that he wanted a position on the board..... white privilege is not a part of this discussion.
Really? Browne should feel some sort of shame for being born male and white and because of this doesn't understand other groups in our society? Those go hand in hand?

Browne has no hope if this line of thinking prevails. He's forever a white sinner. He'll die white and whatever else happens, will always be white and will never be rid of his white privilege. Think I'll go for a walk in the rain now.

By bulldozing his way to the Presidency without a detailed plan (presented to Members) or even naming the other 3 candidates following on his coat tails.
but it becomes irrelevant because if it goes to a vote than it's us the members that determine if his plan is valid or not. so why is everyone assuming that there is no detailed plan !?

No she didn't. People choosing to target 1 word in isolation without considering the context in which it was used is not on her.

As to how it's playing out, it was never going to go any other way. Said as much before it all started. Not sure why anyone would expect any different.

Dane Swan seems to be backing in the Korda crew, and isn't impressed by Jeff Browne's push so far:

“If Collingwood have an AGM at the end of the year why couldn’t Browne wait? Why does it have to be immediate and cause more unrest? I think it creates instability and I don’t think it’s the right way to go about it and cause unnecessary fractions in the footy club,” Swan said.

“Relationships and mateships that you take for the rest of your life are way more important than any game you win ... I think it is starting to ruin relationships and friendships because of what is going on and people are fighting back and forth.”

Swan, a popular figure among fans, said while he didn’t know the inner workings of the club, former teammate Paul Licuria and former interim CEO Peter Murphy, both current board members, were “two of the most trustworthy people I have ever met”.

He said he was prepared to state his case once he heard former president Eddie McGuire declare that he was not involved in Browne’s push for the presidency with McGuire telling Footy Classified on Wednesday night he was sick of being called a liar and it broke his heart that a contest for his former position loomed.

“Whoever was going to take over from Ed was f----d ... they need some clean air,” Swan said.

I share many of the above sentiments, particularly the bolded. Browne's bid seems like a cynical grab at the Presidency which only came once his mate no longer occupied the Big Chair.
Swan is entitled to his opinion, like he was about the Victorian lockdown. His opinion on both matters carries little weight for mine and BTW JMac, I didn't say the DoBetter Report isn't important, I said it isn't the most important issue on members' minds. Nor should it be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back