Markfs' Board of Directors Watch

Thoughts on how well Ed and the board are doing?

• I have no interest in this stuff, don't see what it's got to do with winning footy games

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Very happy with the way things are, Ed and the board are doing a great job

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Ed and the board are doing OK, but wish others would stand and provide us with choice

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Time for Ed and the board to go

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you voluntarily contribute more tax than required?

Also he attended 9 out of 10 Directors meetings.... The Bulldogs VP Dr Susan Alberti in the Bulldogs greatest ever year of triumph and success only made it to 10/12...
I think his attendance has been patchier in earlier years - it is often an expectation that you attend all meetings to be on a Board. The fact he has not attended all meetings in several years would be seen as inadequate by many Chairs.

who assembles the panel?....the board?

If done properly it'd start with a discussion with an executive recruiter who would work with the board to assemble a suitable selection panel.

Here's how Carlton ran theirs: http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2015-06-16/blues-appoint-coaching-selection-panel

Here's how Brisbane ran theirs: http://www.lions.com.au/news/2016-09-14/coach-selection-panel-announced

if the current board assembled a panel, it would compromise of eddie writing down a few names.....

You reckon Eddie would engage a selection panel??? :p

and my second point..... boards that nominate panels who pick the coaches, end up distancing themselves from that coach, should that coach fail.... they simply nominate another panel ....

Yes, of course. You'd hope that there's some kind of feedback loop in there though to benefit from the learnings of the previous experiences.

personally, i think that if buckley is given the flick then eddie should be held responsible because he came up with the plan in the first place.

That's not unreasonable.

I think his attendance has been patchier in earlier years - it is often an expectation that you attend all meetings to be on a Board. The fact he has not attended all meetings in several years would be seen as inadequate by many Chairs.
That's crap. Complete crap. If you judge board performance by attendance then you're just proving you are unable to make reasonable comment on the matter.

There are many boards of large companies and sporting clubs who seek specific expertise on the board. If that means they get the right type of person for the job they get them. They are willing to overlook the fact that they may not be able to attend meetings because they are the right and best person.

These are professionals. They don't forget about a meeting and not go. The don't cancel at the last minute. Have you ever been on a board? There are sub committees that meet regularly that aren't recorded as email. There are emails and phone conferences. If you can't attend you get what you needed done and sent ahead so it can be seen at the meeting. You ask a fellow board member to vote as your proxy.

To have a go at any board member for non attendance is more a blight on you than them.

I have been on and am on Boards. Indeed I am also involved in Board delegated committees. It really depends upon the attitude of the chair as to whether they mind if someone does not attend all or most meetings . Most terms of engagement for Directors require a minimum commitment to attendance - which can be done by phone so these days failures to attend are getting rarer.

I am certainly not purely judging on attendance alone. I am not even judging the individual at all. My point is it is good practice to refresh Boards to ensure diversity of view and independence is maintained.

You can also send alternates and give your proxy to the chair.

I don't know whether they have done that or not so am not judging.

Most chairs I have dealt with over the years take a dim view of a pattern of missing Board meetings over a period of years (even 1 or 2 a year). It is just my experience and yours may be different.

However our views diverge, I think a blight on my character is a bit strong.

I am certainly comfortable that you disagree.

For the record, you either meet in person or phone/video and minute decisions or you have circular resolutions sent by mail/email which all Directors must approve for it to be passed.

I am not sure what your reference to "aren't recorded in email" means?

You say they are professional and people will overlook inability to attend for the right skills and experience. My question is how can we be sure the right skillls and experience are on the Board as on my reading of the Articles of Association one of the roles is to represent the members?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This isnt a company, this is a footy club. Now it seems that Waislitz is keen to take his kids skiing overseas..... I admire his commitment to his kids..... if he feels the need to go on holidays with his kids and not turn up at collingwood board meetings, the club has a ton of people who can replace him.

i seriously wonder why a collingwood supporter would be saying that directors dont have to attend board meetings unless that supporter is a friend of waislitz.....so if you're a friend of alex, tell him he should resign...thanks

I was scanning the net to learn a bit about our vice president alex.... I found an article that discussed the trendy rich people in Melbourne who were engaged in start-ups of charities.... the new philanthropists. It seems to have been quite a trend in 2014. Jamie Packer made a commitment to establish a $200m philanthropic fund... evidently he's going to help people whose lives have been destroyed by gambling...

Waislitz established two charities...both who use his name in the title. Evidently his friend Shane Warne told him that he should put his name to his charity because it would rake in the cash......like warnies....It's got nothing to do with self-promotion. Alex made a commitment to philantropise (I made that word up) $50m over 10 years. That's a figure that shouldn't be sneezed at. I actually got curious and looked up the annual reports on the charities site. A few million have been deposited in the foundations and one is actually turning over a good profit....maybe from investments as he does have a deft hand in making money from money. The foundations haven't seem to dispense with much cash but it's early days isn't it. Alex has famously sponsored the Waislitz award for the best global citizen...and is on the selection panel of course.... if he has skills in judging best global citizens then maybe we should put him on the panel to pick the next coach https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/awards/waislitz-award/finalists/ It seems that the winner is going to get $100k ....but I cant tell you where the other $49.9 million is going...

it seems I could be wrong about alex and warnie..... both of them are saints

I was scanning the net to learn a bit about our vice president alex.... I found an article that discussed the trendy rich people in Melbourne who were engaged in start-ups of charities.... the new philanthropists.

Are you accusing successful people of being successful? Sure, wealth is only one measure of success, but people don't become wealthy in this world by helping old ladies cross the street or by manning soup kitchens.

This is starting to get a bit into 'chip on the shoulder' territory.

And besides, we're a club that historically hasn't exactly asked too many questions about where the money comes from. We had John Wren as a benefactor for decades. We run liquor joints. We hold gambling licences - heck, we launched 'magpie millions' at a time when gambling had long become gauche.

----

If you want to make a case for "For an organisation that has a board of directors full of business people, we're surprisingly short of creative ideas about how to make money" ... then yeah, I'm all the way with you on that one.

Last edited:
I'm curious about Mark Korda.

Ex-Andersons administrator who was part of the ANSETT wind-up, who then went on to start his own consultancy partnership with the other Mark (no, not you Markfs )

What was he doing back in 2009 when CFC was on the brink of administration? Oops. To be fair, pretty sure he wasn't on the board when the pubs fiasco went down.

Anyway, Markfs , he'd be the expert on good governance. If he's on our board, everything must be um, er, above board.
He's a smart operator. Someone close to me works with him and he's a very passionate Collingwood supporter.

Heres the hawthorn board for interests sake...

Just look for the bits that i underlined....

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/club/people/the-board

Richard Garvey is a company director and adviser to a number of privately owned businesses and family groups. Prior to his current role he spent 34 years in chartered accounting including the last 22 years as a partner of KPMG. Richard was the lead audit partner for Hawthorn Football Club between 1998 and 2007.

Linda is the Vice-Chancellor & President of Swinburne University - educating 55,000 students in disciplines ranging from science, business, engineering and information technology to design and law. Linda has served on a number of national company boards and is a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.

Andrew Kaye was appointed to the Board in February 2011 and is a longstanding Hawthorn member. He is a Neurosurgeon and Professor of Surgery and Head of the Department of Surgery at The University of Melbourne. He is the Director of the Department of Neurosurgery at the Royal Melbourne Hospital. He has had extensive experience in education, training and research.

Bruce Stevenson was appointed to the Hawthorn Football Club Board of Directors in 2013. He is a 1971 Premiership player, a Life Member of the Club and has been a Nominee/Director of the Hawthorn Football Club Foundation since 2010. In business, Bruce owned and operated Stevenson Automotive from 1989 to 2011. This Company operated Toyota and Audi Motor Dealerships across Tasmania. He is also the former Chairman and Founding Director of the Tastel Community Telco.

Andrew Gowers, who will take on the role of Football Director, was a member of the Club’s 1991 premiership team and played 140 AFL games for Hawthorn and the Brisbane Bears between 1988 and 1999.

Peter Nankivell has been a practising commercial lawyer for 27 years and consults to Thomson Geer lawyers where he has been for 20 years. He was formerly the Chairman of Partners at Herbert Geer and is currently Chair of the Centre for Eye Research Australia Ltd and a Director of Xavier College Foundation Limited.

Richie Vandenberg's career outside his family enterprise commenced as a professional athlete. Between the years of 1997 and 2007, he played with Hawthorn Football club and achieved Captaincy from 2005 until 2007.

Lucinda Nolan brings a wealth of knowledge to the club with extensive experience across the Emergency Services Sector. In 2015, she was selected as the first female CEO of the Country Fire Authority (CFA), one of the world’s largest volunteer based emergency service organisations.
You crap on about financial advisers being leeches, which I take offence to by the way (I am one). I'm certainly in the business to help my clients, as are most other advisers. Do you realise Andy Gowers is also a financial adviser?

I suppose that is ok because he is on the Hawks board and he played more games than McMullin?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm curious about Mark Korda.

Ex-Andersons administrator who was part of the ANSETT wind-up, who then went on to start his own consultancy partnership with the other Mark (no, not you Markfs )

What was he doing back in 2009 when CFC was on the brink of administration? Oops. To be fair, pretty sure he wasn't on the board when the pubs fiasco went down.

Anyway, Markfs , he'd be the expert on good governance. If he's on our board, everything must be um, er, above board.

The reason he was nominated to the board was to get us out of the hole that we were in, which he assisted the club in successfully.

This thread really does stink of desperation.

The premise of it is fine, in fact I love the premise. However the absolute junk coming from some posters is unbelievable. It's like reading the Herald Sun written only by Mark Robinson.

At the end of the day, people are angry and I get that. So were Richmond fans last year and they had a group publicly attempting to overthrow the board. Where are they now?

Nothing susbstantial has changed on that board, but they are 4-0. They are playing good footy and no one really cares about the dysfunctional board of 2016. So what changed? They got rid of Tyrone Vickery. So we need to get rid of Jesse White...

Jokes aside, the board consists of all board members from the 2010 premiership year (with the exception of Jack kennedy who's been replaced by Christine). All very capable and successful people who, like everyone else at Collingwood at that time, took us to heights we hadn't been for 20 years.

It is however seemingly getting stale and in need of a shake up. I personally would swap one or two board members with someone like a Nick Maxwell, with recent footballing experience and an ability to have a subjective view on the performances rather than being fed information from Walsh and Pert. Who can question and challenge the big on field issues like the coach, like picking up Mayne, etc.

I also feel it necessary to move on from Eddie, who to me has made too many mistakes now to come back from.

So there's my two cents. And a couple more for good measure. Markfs your use of misrepresented media clippings to misrepresent a board member to publicly attack someone's personality and integrity is shameful. Yeh argue what you think is right for the club, but don't bring someone's reputation into calculations on the back of your own interpretation of their integrity. A everyone of your posts wreaks of uneducated pettiness.

The reason he was nominated to the board was to get us out of the hole that we were in, which he assisted the club in successfully.

Thanks, that is the first time I've heard his position explained that way. Makes sense.

He deserves a life membership for getting us out of that mess then :thumbsu:

The premise of it is fine, in fact I love the premise.

Yeah, me too. IMO this is a very valid discussion, and one we should be having as a club. But when the discussion degenerates into value judgements then it not only detracts from the discussion, but it totally undermines it.

Last edited:
Surprised nobody has put up Mick Gatto's name for President yet?

Just imagine it, an interview outside the front of AFL HQ ...

Damien Barrett: "What brings you to AFL Headquarters today Mick?"

Mick Gatto: "Me and Gil are gunna have a little chat about next year's fixture"

DB: "What is it about next year's fixture you're going to discuss specifically?"

MG: "Well I don't think Gil wants Collingwood to play no more home games at Etihad anymore, which sounds like a good idea to me. He's a smart man Gil"

... now c'mon, wouldn't that just warm the cockles of your heart??? :)

At the end of the day, people are angry and I get that. So were Richmond fans last year and they had a group publicly attempting to overthrow the board. Where are they now?

Nothing susbstantial has changed on that board, but they are 4-0. They are playing good footy and no one really cares about the dysfunctional board of 2016. So what changed?

To be fair, even though the group attempting to overthrow the Richmond board were a pack of jokers, the whole exercise did give the board a big kick up the backside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is however seemingly getting stale and in need of a shake up. I personally would swap one or two board members with someone like a Nick Maxwell, ...

+1. I reckon Nick Maxwell would be an inspired choice.

...with recent footballing experience and an ability to have a subjective view on the performances rather than being fed information from Walsh and Pert. Who can question and challenge the big on field issues like the coach, like picking up Mayne, etc.

I'd be a bit more naunced than that.

You certainly wouldn't want a board member getting into a slanging match with the Football Director about whether Mayne is a spud or not. May as well sack the Football Director.

But the board certainly should hold those folks to account, for example: "Explain how recruiting Mayne addresses the current strategic objective of the club" and "who else have you considered and explain why Mayne is the most suitable" and "explain what we can we expect from Mayne ... and we gunna minute this because if things go south we're gunna hold you to account"

This isnt a company, this is a footy club. Now it seems that Waislitz is keen to take his kids skiing overseas..... I admire his commitment to his kids..... if he feels the need to go on holidays with his kids and not turn up at collingwood board meetings, the club has a ton of people who can replace him.

i seriously wonder why a collingwood supporter would be saying that directors dont have to attend board meetings unless that supporter is a friend of waislitz.....so if you're a friend of alex, tell him he should resign...thanks
Don't know him so can't pass that on. Any football club is a business these days. We have four competitive sides, would employ over 200 people, 70,000+ members, hundreds of thousands of supporters and turnover close to $100 million in revenue each year. I don't know about you but that seems like a business to me. Maybe a different one to a bank but a business none the less.

In these days of equalisation you need to get every off field advantage possible and I'd say we have been pretty good and it's more on field that is letting the Pies down. But this is of course all down to a very good businessman not attending a few meetings over the years. Had he attended we would've won 20 more games and turned over $1 million more profit for each meeting missed.

I put this to you, last year Richmond had a Focus on Footy group challenge the board. Would you rather a group like that that had only one strategy, on the condition they attended every meeting, replace the current board? No, nobody would because their only qualification was passion for the club and they weren't the best people for the job.

It says a lot that business minded people who support the club don't put their hand up for the job of board member. It's elected by supporters after all so the current board members don't have a say in that. Now I'd say that's their way of saying off field we have our house in order and they're happy with the job these guys are doing.

Do you know the reasons he missed meeting or are you making assumptions because he is well off?

Are you accusing successful people of being successful? Sure, wealth is only one measure of success, but people don't become wealthy in this world by helping old ladies cross the street or by manning soup kitchens.

This is starting to get a bit into 'chip on the shoulder' territory.

And besides, we're a club that historically hasn't exactly asked too many questions about where the money comes from. We had John Wren as a benefactor for decades. We run liquor joints. We hold gambling licences - heck, we launched 'magpie millions' at a time when gambling had long become gauche.

----

If you want to make a case for "For an organisation that has a board of directors full of business people, we're surprisingly short of creative ideas about how to make money" ... then yeah, I'm all the way with you on that one.

if you have a look at the thread's heading, it indicates my take on preceedings, although I didnt actually suggest the actual wording of the topic and I didnt include a survey....

i'm not sure if you're saying that discussion of the directors' values is irrelevant but it's ok for them to fine and otherwise sanction players who say the wrong thing or somehow breach the myriad of moral and ethical rules that the community imposes on them.....

Don't know him so can't pass that on. Any football club is a business these days. We have four competitive sides, would employ over 200 people, 70,000+ members, hundreds of thousands of supporters and turnover close to $100 million in revenue each year. I don't know about you but that seems like a business to me. Maybe a different one to a bank but a business none the less.

In these days of equalisation you need to get every off field advantage possible and I'd say we have been pretty good and it's more on field that is letting the Pies down. But this is of course all down to a very good businessman not attending a few meetings over the years. Had he attended we would've won 20 more games and turned over $1 million more profit for each meeting missed.

I put this to you, last year Richmond had a Focus on Footy group challenge the board. Would you rather a group like that that had only one strategy, on the condition they attended every meeting, replace the current board? No, nobody would because their only qualification was passion for the club and they weren't the best people for the job.

It says a lot that business minded people who support the club don't put their hand up for the job of board member. It's elected by supporters after all so the current board members don't have a say in that. Now I'd say that's their way of saying off field we have our house in order and they're happy with the job these guys are doing.

Do you know the reasons he missed meeting or are you making assumptions because he is well off?

at least the Focus for Footy group put an alternative view to the members.... i dont see that happening at the pies for a number of years

you make a good point about business people being elected.... it started to make me wonder how many on the current board have actually been "elected" into their positions, rather than being nominated by eddie

as for Waislitz missing meetings, I can only assume he was doing something more important

at least the Focus for Footy group put an alternative view to the members.... i dont see that happening at the pies for a number of years

you make a good point about business people being elected.... it started to make me wonder how many on the current board have actually been "elected" into their positions, rather than being nominated by eddie

as for Waislitz missing meetings, I can only assume he was doing something more important

No you didn't though. You made up that he was skiing with his kids. I could make stuff up too and say there was an urgent family matter on that night.

I'm all for guys like him being on the board. He may have money, money that he inherited, but if you aren't a good businessman you lose money not make more. If you run a company you're a bad businessman it loses money. None of this is true about Alex. He's a smart businessman and has done a good job for the club. People talking about non attendance and not paying tax really don't understand business.

Why is it that to say what people want to hear and not then do anything is seen as a better alternative to people who say the truth and make the difficult and unpopular decisions for the betterment.

I hate the conspiracy world we live in where people believe there is always a motive to screw people over. This whole Occupy Movement and 1% stuff.

Went off on a bit of a tangent I know but it's related to why you're saying these people should move on.

Change for change sake is never your best option.

People who have no football / sporting knowledge may be more capable than those who do.
You really do need a balance. Every board needs industry specialisation. A football clubs needs to be run like a business to a point but there is one fundamental difference. Unlike shareholders, most members could not care less abut large profits. All they want is premierships. Profit is only a means to that end. I dare say most Collingwood members don't care a lot about social contributions compared to on field success by the club and when they come from gambling profits, those that do probably see the hypocrisy anyway.

This is a football club. It's not a pub, it's not a netball club, it's not a social justice organisation, it's not a profit vehicle it's just a football club.
As a football club we've been failing for most part of 60 years.

Last edited:
No one told me that Alex was a party-dude! This changes everything. Anyone who holds parties with free grog is the type of person we need on the board....

Alex Waislitz goes hi-tech for Melbourne knees up

• 1476366833484.jpg
Party time! Alex Waislitz of Thorney Investments. Luis Enrique Ascui
1463111478883.jpg

by Bryce Corbett

The glad rags are being dusted off down Melbourne way as Thorney Investments' Alex Waislitz prepares to host one of his famed shin-digs.

Jostling for an invite among Melbourne's business community has been fierce as the erstwhile son-in-law of the late cardboard king, Dick Pratt girds his loins for another bacchanalia.

Dubbed "The Thorney Investments Spec-tech-ular", and due to unfurl Friday night at Collingwood's Glasshouse events space, it promises to be a who's who of the southern city's investment community. Why the tech theme? Because Waislitz has come over all Zuckerberg lately: announcing last month his intention to set up a zillion dollar listed tech fund.

And while we're certain the lure of free grog will be enough to get the vast majority of the invitees along, Waislitz tradition of giving away a glittering prize won't hurt either. Previous years have seem him give away a car, a luxury holiday, and even – one year – a speed boat.

Better than the half a six-pack of VB we managed to pilfer from the last party we were invited to ...

re: http://www.afr.com/brand/rear-windo...bourne-knees-up-20161013-gs1mcu#ixzz4f3jWmywr
Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook

Back