Preview Marsh Week 2 - Hawthorn v Melbourne - UTas Stadium - Friday March 6, 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Scully and Ceglar were good. Morrison was OK. Everything else was piss poor. Skills were poor, execution was poor and most players didn’t seem to care.

I understand it’s a preseason game but that’s two games back to back that our general disposal has been shocking and our delivery into the forward 50 was atrocious. Our midfielders can’t hit targets and our senior players like Smith are clearly taking the piss. Perhaps more worryingly we’re REALLY struggling to lock it into the forwardline. We finally have potent tall timber (hopefully Lewis is ok) who have looked damaging but our smalls are just so lacklustre. Bruest is still amazing but I’m not enthused about Poppy or Hanrahan. And we just got rid of Minch.

I’m also worried our defence is wayyy too tall. Melbourne aren’t even that great there but their medium forwards ran past us like it was nothing. Top tier teams like Richmond will slaughter us if this is any indication.

Once again I’m hopeful we flick the switch and play better R1. But we’re not the Hawthorn of old.

Do people on here genuinely rate hanrahan?? Confuses the hell out of me that we didn't look to get some zippy small players over in the off season our lack of pressure we put on the ball carrier is non existent .

I'm not sure where we are at but game plan and skill wise there isn't much to like , in both marsh games there wasn't one clean passage of play I can think of .

He fumbles, kicks poorly, panics, can't take a set shot. Once in a while he shows real zip which we desperately need.

Clarkson is known to get fixated on who should play.

Cannot believe the melts over a preseason game
It's not the melts that bother me, it's the fact that some think this is what we a judging our season on.
Only three or four passages of play all night where we tried to implement anything like a structured set play and when we did that we were only beaten once. This is what I believe the coaches will be judging tonight on.

Ah well the bad we know, simply put we are way, way, perhaps even way again too slow.
To the good...
Cegs was good by far our best midfielder, BB can be his ruck back up (the rest of his game I'll ignore.)
CJ should play Rnd 1 we simply have no pace and he was ok in the last trying while no one else would provide run (except for Chips see later)
Harry tried in the second half, only issue is not quick.
Smith and Bruest ok overall.
Chips Frawley stood out rarely beaten, faster than most and had some attacking flair... (Although that could be a thread... like you know your season is in the toilet when Chips Frawley is your attacking flair out of the backline)

Really struggled to find too many positives, I honestly don't rate Melbourne and thought Cegs probably had the better of Gawn their "star" so the rest of the team was very disappointing tbh.

Small ball is the new trend in sports.. The AFL has followed, we’ve gone the other way, interesting to see how it pans out.

Pre-Season isn’t about results, you just want to see some things to get excited about, you want to build some expectation and see some players show a bit.. Not sure what real positives we got out of this one, maybe Titch getting through unscathed, Harry looking assured, CJ showing glimpses, Patton showing glimpses.

What else? Been pretty diabolical

It's not the melts that bother me, it's the fact that some think this is what we a judging our season on.
Only three or four passages of play all night where we tried to implement anything like a structured set play and when we did that we were only beaten once. This is what I believe the coaches will be judging tonight on.
Worry is we only kicked six goals, that has to be a concern, as we struggle in that department last year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe we intentionally turned it over to practice for games where we unintentionally play s**t? haha...

Hopefully got whatever that was out of the system and we look a heap better against Brisbane.

Okay, but what if you think the opposite. What if you think we tried all night to implement a structure? We just couldn't execute it?

Reckon Morrison gets the Hardwick spot over CJ. Just more assured with ball in hand.
And terrible one on one.
Look I take the good with the bad with Harry but with great trepidation I will say I can't handle his softness, plays way to safe with the ball in the air, has improved his attack on the man when ball hits the ground.
Give me CJ if I have to make a choice.

The only positive thing out of tonight is that it was only a practice match with nothing on the line.

We played like we literally just came back from Xmas break and hadn’t touched a footy since Round 23 last year..

The optimist in me says that Hawks are just playing their cards close to their chest, and very confident that they can turn it on when it counts..

But the pessimist in me says that we are going to see a loooooooong period of gelling and scores over 80+ points are going to be rare.

Not concerned about the result but a few things need improvement if we are to get within 4 goals of Brisbane.

Midfield structures, particularly once the ball gets outside of 2 metres from the contest we’re concerning. Melbourne and St Kilda both took the ball out far too easily.

Defence was pretty solid given how badly the midfield was beaten and the number of turnovers. Frost will be a solid player once he gets a few more games under his belt. Morrison is solid but we need some run. CJ should play round 1 but probably won’t given he was played for a quarter.

Poppy will probably picked but he was no where near it. Ollie showed better defensive intent and thought Nash was okay. Lewis and Patton will take contested marks but it’s not pretty when they don’t. Really need Gunston back so hopefully he’s not too far away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back