Autopsy Hawthorn v Collingwood - Practice match - Thursday 2nd March, UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone slightly surprised about DeGoey not being rubbed out for the Meek tackle?

Feel like if it was mid season it’s a week for sure.
Not really

Cotchin is the one that should have gone from the weekend. He has more lives than a cat

Anyone slightly surprised about DeGoey not being rubbed out for the Meek tackle?

Feel like if it was mid season it’s a week for sure.
Insane.

VFL Pies vs BHH
The game was played in good conditions although the lighting is poor. Without binoculars it would have been very difficult the identify players on the opposite side of the ground. The quarter by quarter scores were:
Pies - 2.2.14 / 4.3.27 / 5.4.34 / 7.8.50
BHH - 2.5.17 / 6.8.44 / 8.13.61 / 10.17.77
We controlled the game and the scores were 5.8.38 to 10.16.76 before the Pies kicked the last 2 goals. At least half the behinds could/should have been goals. What stood out was the way the players recognised team mates for pressure acts. There was a notable improvement in the connection between the HFC and BHH players compared to last week against Geelong.
My brief observations on the players:
Ned Long - BOG, played as an inside mid. He was strong winning contested ball, ran tirelessly and broke tackles to dispose of the ball. Kicked 2 very good goals and 1 behind. When he kicked our last goal it gave us the game high lead of 38 points.
Max Lynch - Competed strongly in the ruck, covered a lot of ground and took some contested marks back and forward. Played a really good game.
Seamus Mitchell - Stood out playing as an attacking rebounding defender. His ball handling was generally clean and his decision making and disposal are improving with every game. It's good to see he is finally getting some continuity after so many issues with injuries.
Josh Bennetts - Stood out with pace and some great run down strong tackles. His ball handling was generally clean and he nearly took some species and looks strong in the air for his size. If he made a mistake his second and third efforts were terrific.
Jai Serong - A good first game after being restricted by injury. He read the flight of the ball really well and cleverly outmanoeuvred opponents to win one on one contests. Highly skilled and is looking stronger so a bright prospect. Kicked 1 goal 3 behinds.
Bailey McDonald [Otter - possible nickname i.e OffToTheRaces] - Used his electric pace both defensively and offensively. He also halved a number of one on one contests against bigger opponents. Exciting to watch.
Cooper Stevens - Played as an inside mid and was good winning contested ball. Spread pretty well however at times he delayed his disposal and was dispossessed.
Max Ramsden - Did his fair share of the ruck work and competed well. Looked dangerous when flying for marks and was good at ground level. Kicked 1 goal 2 behinds. Max is an exciting talent and potentially has the biggest upside of our many talented young players. I think he would have been a first round draft pick if he wasn't picked in the mid season draft. For what it's worth I also rated Henry Hustwaite as a first round pick along with Cam Mackenzie and Josh Weddle.
Josh Weddle - [Cliffie - possible nickname because like Cliff Young he just doesn't stop running]. Played a reasonable first half however he stood out in the second half with his power running and good pace. He's already good with his strength to break clear and his disposal on his non preferred left foot is an additional plus.
Emerson Jeka - Worked hard to provide an option and could have been rewarded more however the forward entries need improvement. Took some marks and created opportunities busting some packs when flying for marks. Kicked 1 goal 2 behinds.
Jack O'Sullivan - Was a lively small forward. He can compete well in marking contests and provides strong forward pressure with repeat efforts. Kicked 4 behinds.
Tyler Brockman - Worked his way into the game in the second half with some good chasing to apply pressure. He showed his clean ball handling, skill to evade and footy smarts. Kicked 1 goal.
BHH has recruited very well with Callum Brown, Patrick Naish and Joel Trudgeon all playing good games. It was terrific to see Jaylon Thorpe play after his injury interrupted 2022 season. Watching him flying for marks and creating a last second contest to spoil opponents was really good. He kicked 1 goal 1 behind. Our other goal kickers were Ethan Stanley, Joel Trudgeon and Max Hall.
Max Hall, Lachie Wynd, Lachlan Bryce and Mitch Sruk only played in the second half. Mitch was good with around 15 disposals.
Hugh Beasley, Cal Porter, Damien Mascitti and Ben Cavarra didn't play. Cal broke his hand when training with the Hawks and hopes to play in round 1.
EDIT: Ethan Stanley not Liam Purcell kicked a goal. Seniors moment with both wearing 65.
Your write-up is greatly appreciated.

Not really

Cotchin is the one that should have gone from the weekend. He has more lives than a cat

Fwiw I don’t like the look of dump tackles being suspension worthy. Especially when that’s sort of what’s required to even get meek to ground in the first place.

Im more just confused, he clearly smacked his head hard on the ground.

I just ask myself if it was Paddy McCartin instead of Meek, would Jordy be playing Rd1?

Matthew Lloyd on radio tonight said he spoke to someone from Collingwood who said they did an 11km session 2 days before the game
11km is a fair session, but it's hardly the end of the world.

But it's also not the best idea before a game.

Often at my club, we had sessions that could be 8-9km. Big sessions could be around 10-11km.

11km is a fair session, but it's hardly the end of the world.

But it's also not the best idea before a game.

Often at my club, we had sessions that could be 8-9km. Big sessions could be around 10-11km.
Not that impressive, my session last weekend was around 9 pints, a bottle of red and several shots of something they call 'Mind Eraser'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back