Autopsy Hawthorn v Collingwood - Practice match - Thursday 2nd March, UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there anywhere to watch the replay that doesnt require getting a subscription to Kayo?
It’s not a big screen but the AFL app on your phone has the replay.

Other place to check is the AFL website, they used to have replays but I’m not sure if they still put them up anymore.

Is Worpel the only midfielder in the comp who occasionally dump kicks in under pressure?

All the Pies midfielders did it yesterday. Our other mids did it too.

I'm intrigued about this fascination on Worpel's disposal
Exactly. Just look at the current captain of Geelong. Even when not under pressure his kicks are 'uncharacteristically' bad 97.5% of the time.

It’s not a big screen but the AFL app on your phone has the replay.

Other place to check is the AFL website, they used to have replays but I’m not sure if they still put them up anymore.
Great thanks H00t for that. Found it on the AFL site (not in the usual place).
If anyone else needs to know this is the direct link Pre-season Match Replay: Hawthorn v Collingwood
I downloaded the file using Allavsoft and watched it on my TV.

A few people have been asking about the replay.

Click on that link and them under Hawthorn's 100 scoreline click on Match replays.

Exactly. Just look at the current captain of Geelong. Even when not under pressure his kicks are 'uncharacteristically' bad 97.5% of the time.
Yes. It's exactly the same as when you call a help line and they always say "We are receiving an above average number of calls at this time"

You can't ALWAYS be receiving an above average number of calls. That's not how averages work.

It can't ALWAYS be uncharacteristic.

Yes. It's exactly the same as when you call a help line and they always say "We are receiving an above average number of calls at this time"

You can't ALWAYS be receiving an above average number of calls. That's not how averages work.

It can't ALWAYS be uncharacteristic.

50% of the population is overweight

I think its a bit the Mandela effect. A few errant kicks and all of a sudden he's Will Langford, but some completely miss his excellent kicking, or the poor kicks of others. The obsession on his kicking is going well overboard now.

He's not an elite kick, so I don't get your point on who i want to kick the footy.

Who would you least prefer kicking the ball out of that group? There's one obvious answer. My point has been that Worpel should be a handball first kind of player in general, a) because it plays to his strengths and mitigates his weakness, and b) because we have some excellent kicks around him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing about Worpels kicking is over 40-50m it’s not as bad as the shorter kicks that miss as long he hits the right contest. Plays into the style of modern footy and if everyone know he will be looking long they can anticipate the next contest.

One thing about Worpels kicking is over 40-50m it’s not as bad as the shorter kicks that miss as long he hits the right contest. Plays into the style of modern footy and if everyone know he will be looking long they can anticipate the next contest.
He pulled off a great pass to Chad.

Not sure it was entirely where he planned to put it. But I’ll given him the benefit of the doubt because I remember in the early Worpel years he was actually quite good at delivering to forwards by foot.

Kosi has the same issue. He is more accurate from the 50m arc than he is from 35, because he has to kick through the ball. (although one of his shots on Thursday he kicked through it, it was just in the wrong direction.

Kosi has the same issue. He is more accurate from the 50m arc than he is from 35, because he has to kick through the ball. (although one of his shots on Thursday he kicked through it, it was just in the wrong direction.
Kosis legs move like his made of cardboard, his so dam stiff. Legit should do dance school or something, he would be unbelievable with a good kick and does all the team things.

I always feel like he struggles to kick it 50m. From 40-45 yes he probably he is better from there than 25-35

I always feel like he struggles to kick it 50m. From 40-45 yes he probably he is better from there than 25-35
Look at the 50 second mark of this video. He kicks from 50 just fine.

Obviously much better. Defence other than blanck weren’t great, Midfield worked well after a slow start, forward line surprisingly effective. Really liked Moore and MacDonald at HF, clearly Frenchy and Fergus in for R1, thought Chad looked in good nick, Meek was solid, worpel more like it and Day looked great and with continuity will grow as that defensive midfield sweeper. I think Reeves needs some games at Box Hill he still needs conditioning that they have been focusing on but he’s too easily moved. Especially with Lewis out Meek and Lynch seem a better ruck/fwd option and we must not gift games. If lynch played well for box hill (can’t find details anywhere) then we have to reward it. Shame about stephens was keen to see him press for r1 but he will have to do that at Box Hill it seems. Unfortunately it was a performance that makes me second guess already getting 23 on my hawks jumper…expecting Kosi to leave and Harley Reid to be anointed!

It’s funny what different people see when watching a game. I thought Reeves did ok. Definitely didn’t dominate, but I thought when we one the clearances he was instrumental, and when we didn’t it wasn’t that he got smashed, but that our kids lost the contested ball. I thought he did well to kick a goal too. Not bad for someone as green as him - keep pumping games I reckon.

Thought Frenchie was brilliant, Fergus was great, Impey a bit underwhelming (lots of possessions that interrupted chains or weren’t overly productive) and Day was great. Finn has booked his round 1 spot.

He pulled off a great pass to Chad.

Not sure it was entirely where he planned to put it. But I’ll given him the benefit of the doubt because I remember in the early Worpel years he was actually quite good at delivering to forwards by foot.
I think he definitely wanted to put it in that general area, which was great, and it ended up with Chad. You get that a few times a game (and as a defender there’s nothing you can do but roll your eyes).

The better James is at that inside 50 kick the more likely he is an asset to the team mid/long term. Aside from the kick for goal, the inside 50 kick is the most important and it’s usually midfielders delivering it.

At the moment, you’d think Day, Amon, MacKenzie, Ward and McDonald are better at that type of kick. Newk, Finn and Conor might be about as proficient as James.

The fewer players we have out there who we don’t like taking that kick the better we become as an offensive unit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back