Autopsy Hawthorn v Collingwood - Practice match - Thursday 2nd March, UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

I can tell I'm going to get far more annoyed with some of the Tom Mitchell rapid fire "handballs" now I'm not watching him as a supporter. They got a goal from one last night where he got done cold with a tackle and just shovelled it out to someone with what was no way an actual handball.

For every rocket there is a shovel pass/crow throw.

I got a feeling we are gunna be ok!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So many AFL stats are based upon what is easy to count / measure rather than what is useful or insightful
There should be a +- stat like basketball have for when they are on the field

Would be interested to see if things like how much a difference a top ruck or a key player can make. I think back to a couple of examples from Easter Monday last year. Reeves in the that game would have +20 in a game we won by 12, Selwood who started on the bench and missed the first 3 goals would likely have + player despite the loss

Last edited:

Obviously I'm not saying he is the only one, every player does it and in some instances it's the best or only option they have.

Worpel is a contested midfielder, his primary role and strength is to win the ball. Who would you least prefer kicking the ball out of a midfield group of Ward, Day, Mackenzie, Amon, Moore, MacDonald, Newcombe and Worpel?

There were definitely times last year he looked and didn't give the handball to those in better position and he turned it over. There are times he needs to back himself and other times when to play within his limitations. I agree there were occasions against Pies this game that I thought "hmmm maybe could have done a handball there", but also times where I was glad he had the confidence to get in there and make something happen for us. Hopefully with him being priority for a role and more room to do his thing and he can find the right balance.

There were a few times the ball would flick between Newk, Day and Frenchy and end up with another young fella and I’d have to remind myself oh yeah we have Josh Ward as another future star 👍

Our midfield is going to be scary deep once everyone’s had a few preseasons and 100ish games.

I think the most promising thing is we have a collection of players that are all legitimately quality users - Day, Ward, Mackenzie, Newcombe, MacDonald, Amon and Moore.

That's a quality unit to build around, and there aren't many teams that can boast having as many good to great kicks in their midfield grouping. If the younger boys can round out their games then we will probably have the most skilled midfield group in the league, no exaggeration.

A little late to the thread (as I had to rewatch the game properly after copping inetrruptions live). Plenty I'd love to unpack but something I wanted to put forward after reading a few pages of Kozi lament:

I was actually extremely buoyed by his game.

The concerns of the end of last year (and again last week) was that he was either a mark or bust player that offered little outside the aerial contest. To make matters worse, his marking had fallen away badly so in essence, was a bit of a liability playing in a position of significant list need.

However, yesterday his intensity was fantastic and his hands were superb. Last week he was regularly outpointed by Ratagulea and even dropped a 'chest mark' (admittedly after a long run and stretch). This week he played on Darcy Moore (an elite KPD) and took the ball with one grab, out in front at full pace on multiple occassions. He also took 2 big contested pack marks (these are rare for any player) and even when outnumbered 2 on 1, brought the ball to ground (instead of what would usually be an intercept to Howe, Murphy or Moore). He also put pressure on and tackled hard, leading to turnovers and scoring opportunities. If he can reproduce performances like that it will be a huge problem solved.

Now I know his kicking was very bad (1.5?) and he is leaning back on his kicks again but some of the reactions to this are overreactions in my view ("should be delisted", "has to be a KPD", "replace him with Scrimshaw", etc). People are forgetting he went at 69% goalkicking accuracy last year (that is super elite by the way). For context, Dunstall's career accuracy is 66% and Breust's is 68%.

Now, don't get me wrong - I don't think he is suddenly going to kick like Dunstall or that all of our KPF issues are solved but the goalkicking yips have lasted exactly 1 game so far (after good conversion last year). More importantly, his marking and contest work was MUCH improved - which as silly as it sounds is more important for me because even if his radar is off at times, at least he can give it off and is preventing the ball from rebounding back the other way.

I know he won't be as impactful as that every week (sans kicking) but the fact he can still play like that is hugely encouraging, particularly with Lewis' repeated injury concerns.

Hoping it is indicative that the 2nd half of last year was the aberration - as his trajectory prior to that was going along fine (remembering Lewis had a similar aberration in 2020).

Is it just me or does it seem, when the mids get cracking, there’s a very eighties feel to the game style?

They certainly seem to have personality like the eighties. Maybe it’s Andy Collins influence?

Looking forward to finding a dunstall and brereton up forward

Last edited:
Not a great defender or detractor of Worps. But it was a typical Worpel dump kick out of a contest that resulted in our first goal, floating to the top of the 50m arc and Kozzie bring the ball to ground.
Oliver has done really well with the dump kick out of a contest. What Oliver does though is his kicks get plenty of distance.

Would love to see Worpel add 10-20 metres on his quick kicks out of the pack. Will get the ball into a much more dangerous place for us.

What I hope is his decision making in space keeps improving.

Oliver has done really well with the dump kick out of a contest. What Oliver does though is his kicks get plenty of distance.

Would love to see Worpel add 10-20 metres on his quick kicks out of the pack. Will get the ball into a much more dangerous place for us.

What I hope is his decision making in space keeps improving.
I reckon a missed opportunity for midfielders is the dump kick along the ground.

If you're going for distance, along the ground or make sure it bounces and let the chaos do the job for you. Avoid intercept marks at all costs.

No he wasn't. Lewis consistently kicked goals at a VFL level and did so consistently at an AFL level following that. He removed Roughy from the team in 2019 then injured his shoulder.

Kosi is inconsistent and somehow plays worse at a VFL level. He was decent today and his marking was okay, but he has a long way to go to reach the consistency of Lewis in 2019 let alone 2022.
We‘ll agree to disagree.

Really liked Kosi. Think he's going to surprise a few this year.

Has aggression and desire. He won't die wondering. His football IQ is a bit limited but I think there's a decent player somewhere, especially if he can learn to play 2nd fiddle. Still only a baby for a KPF (sub <50 games).

I think the most promising thing is we have a collection of players that are all legitimately quality users - Day, Ward, Mackenzie, Newcombe, MacDonald, Amon and Moore.

That's a quality unit to build around, and there aren't many teams that can boast having as many good to great kicks in their midfield grouping. If the younger boys can round out their games then we will probably have the most skilled midfield group in the league, no exaggeration.

Seven players and also Worps Nash Maginness Morrison as more mature, Husthwaite Weddle Long developing and Impey Wingard Bruest able to link up that’s bulldogs level of midfield riches

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was impressed with the follow up from the Geelong game - it's noticeable that we are able to run games out and thought we were better than Collingwood in this regard. Add me on the Frenchie bandwagon - so impressive.

Yes you think it would be a weakness for a young side. Bodes well really

Obviously I'm not saying he is the only one, every player does it and in some instances it's the best or only option they have.

Worpel is a contested midfielder, his primary role and strength is to win the ball. Who would you least prefer kicking the ball out of a midfield group of Ward, Day, Mackenzie, Amon, Moore, MacDonald, Newcombe and Worpel?
I think its a bit the Mandela effect. A few errant kicks and all of a sudden he's Will Langford, but some completely miss his excellent kicking, or the poor kicks of others. The obsession on his kicking is going well overboard now.

He's not an elite kick, so I don't get your point on who i want to kick the footy.

Lots of positives.
I think the 2 practice games have given us a good taste of the season ahead.

If we get enough right on the day, we will be competitive.
If we don't then we will be soundly beaten.
The more games we are competitive and the kids get a chance to show and grow the better. Honorable loss is not a dirty word this season. Next year we should hope for more.

Just one more thing on the Kozi 'issue':

Whilst I'm not the biggest fan of 'at this point of their careers' as players develop at different rates, many on here will remember me (and others) talking about Lewis last off season and comparing him to where Larkey was at the same stage, etc (for those North supporters suggesting Lewis was rubbish).

Incidentally, last off season when these comparisons were being made, Lewis had played 36 games of AFL. We highlighted he had kicked 47 goals at that stage which was only a couple behind Larkey at 36 games (who had kicked 51).

Well, guess what? Kozi has coincidentally played exactly 36 games. He has kicked 45 goals - which is pretty comparable (and includes some extra time in the ruck).

Also, Kozi is 2 years younger than Lewis and 2 years ago Lewis was coming off a horror 2020 campaign before coming out and kicking 22 goals from 14 games and generally looking better before taking another leap last year.

Now, they are different players and not everyone will take 'leaps' at the rate of Lewis - but the point is it is too early to write off Kozi - just as it was for Lewis 2 years ago. This is the year, however, that he really needs to solidify himself (ala '21 Lewis).

Like reeves really. He’s going to have some great games, but Thursday was a bit of a bust.

Hawks are amassing some serious depth but are really light on experience. Well at least there’s tactical sub meaning an extra 22 games to share around. Will be fascinating how the club manages the development thing. So many players needing as many games as possible

I think its a bit the Mandela effect. A few errant kicks and all of a sudden he's Will Langford, but some completely miss his excellent kicking, or the poor kicks of others. The obsession on his kicking is going well overboard now.

He's not an elite kick, so I don't get your point on who i want to kick the footy.
I disagree, he lacks range, average decision maker in tight and is prone to blasting away more frequently than a lot of others. Hey may not be the worst in the comp but it is something he needs to improve if he will be the player we want him to be.

Just one more thing on the Kozi 'issue':

Whilst I'm not the biggest fan of 'at this point of their careers' as players develop at different rates, many on here will remember me (and others) talking about Lewis last off season and comparing him to where Larkey was at the same stage, etc (for those North supporters suggesting Lewis was rubbish).

Incidentally, last off season when these comparisons were being made, Lewis had played 36 games of AFL. We highlighted he had kicked 47 goals at that stage which was only a couple behind Larkey at 36 games (who had kicked 51).

Well, guess what? Kozi has coincidentally played exactly 36 games. He has kicked 45 goals - which is pretty comparable (and includes some extra time in the ruck).

Also, Kozi is 2 years younger than Lewis and 2 years ago Lewis was coming off a horror 2020 campaign before coming out and kicking 22 goals from 14 games and generally looking better before taking another leap last year.

Now, they are different players and not everyone will take 'leaps' at the rate of Lewis - but the point is it is too early to write off Kozi - just as it was for Lewis 2 years ago. This is the year, however, that he really needs to solidify himself (ala '21 Lewis).
Totally agree. There are parallel’s between the two players. Before Lewis started hitting his straps you could see that he had a few strings to his bow. Same with Kosi; he can take a grab, he can time a lead, he can hurt an opponent physically and he can nail a set set shot at goal. He possesses most of the requisite skill for a key forward. And like Lewis a couple of years back, he hasn’t yet been able to bring his whole game together. Also agree that the clock is ticking for him too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back