Autopsy Hawthorn v Collingwood - Practice match - Thursday 2nd March, UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched a replay of the game, too bad we finished the game with 6 behinds...

Worpel was our best and close to best on ground
MacKenzie looks like a taller quicker, but mainly right footed Sam Mitchell, the low centre of gravity and how he weaves through traffic are similar, he also had a great game
Newcombe also played well and Ward on the outside works but he gets less of it out there
Kosi played well except his finishing which is an issue
Blanck is by far our best defender, continuing late last year's form and his impressive pre season training form
Overall our defenders like Sicily and Hardwick are stuck in 1st gear, I would worry if you had Sicily in your supercoach team? Impey is looking good, but he and Frost let themselves down with their kicking
Jiath added some defensive punch to the defence which was an improvement
Greene is fantastic, I'm so glad they picked him up before the preseason, he has been a shining light on field and positive personality around the group
Breust was rusty, but he'll be better for the run
Reeves and Meek both did well, I'm not sure about the Reeves critique other than his low poss count, he can struggle to mark around the ground, which limits his impact, Meek was in good form, except that bounce? What was he thinking? a few times he tried to bite off more than he could chew.
Moore was great for the half of footy he played, then got rested I assume after also playing great against Geelong the week before
Maginness did a job on Daicos making him uninfluential
Day played the sweeper role in midfield really well in bursts, had a few great clearances running into open air to deliver into the forward line, 1 of his great breaks was called back for some dodgey free to coll, would have been a Judd like goal from the centre bounce if allowed to continue... some real potential there

Worpel was our best and close to best on ground
MacKenzie looks like a taller quicker, but mainly right footed Sam Mitchell, the low centre of gravity and how he weaves through traffic are similar, he also had a great game
Newcombe also played well and Ward on the outside works but he gets less of it out there
Kosi played well except his finishing which is an issue
Blanck is by far our best defender, continuing late last year's form and his impressive pre season training form
Overall our defenders like Sicily and Hardwick are stuck in 1st gear, I would worry if you had Sicily in your supercoach team? Impey is looking good, but he and Frost let themselves down with their kicking
Jiath added some defensive punch to the defence which was an improvement
Greene is fantastic, I'm so glad they picked him up before the preseason, he has been a shining light on field and positive personality around the group
Breust was rusty, but he'll be better for the run
Reeves and Meek both did well, I'm not sure about the Reeves critique other than his low poss count, he can struggle to mark around the ground, which limits his impact, Meek was in good form, except that bounce? What was he thinking? a few times he tried to bite off more than he could chew.
Moore was great for the half of footy he played, then got rested I assume after also playing great against Geelong the week before
Maginness did a job on Daicos making him uninfluential
Day played the sweeper role in midfield really well in bursts, had a few great clearances running into open air to deliver into the forward line, 1 of his great breaks was called back for some dodgey free to coll, would have been a Judd like goal from the centre bounce if allowed to continue... some real potential there

I also thought Blank was good, especially where he is coming from. Cannot understand some criticism.
I also agree that Sicily and Hardwick have looked a bit off so far, Hardwick with his disposal and Sicily with his 1 on 1s. Hopefully they flick the switch Rd1.

Let's hope Worpel has rediscovered his mojo, 1 game isn't going to prove it but truly deserves his spot Rd1 now after that performance.

Disagree with Reeves - thought he was poor. Young ruckman often have shockers. I do agree umpires have NFI about how to judge the block rule in ruck contests. Why cannot someone hold their position with their arms out?? Usual AFL nonsense making rules more complicated than necessary.

With Meek taking the bounce, thought it was great that he is being told to be bold. As long as his decision making doesn't turn out to be like Frosts.

Is it just me or does it seem, when the mids get cracking, there’s a very eighties feel to the game style?

They certainly seem to have personality like the eighties. Maybe it’s Andy Collins influence?

Looking forward to finding a dunstall and brereton up forward
I have mentioned this before, but the Elimination Final of 2007 between Hawthorn and Adelaide, I reckon is the template that Sam is using at the moment. Speed out of the back half elite kicking through the corridor to key targets. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favour and watch the 2007 young guns, Sam included and look at who Sam has brought to the table thus far in 2023. The game plan is pretty similar and just as exciting.
Go Hawks!!

Good post, but in particular the observation about Day. Sweeper at the clearances, and also often reading the play a bit behind the ball as well.

There was a point where there was a Collingwood defensive clearance from 50 just towards the boundary, and Day took a smart intercept mark. He casually took a step or two inboard and laced a perfectly weighted pass to the leading forward, and he make a tricky situation looked like a walk in the park. It reminded me of the year he played half back, and we saw that sort of stuff regularly setting up play but from the defensive half. The role seems to be get him around the footy, but also have him a kick behind the play at times to use the ability to read the play, and also set up the footy too.

I have mentioned this before, but the Elimination Final of 2007 between Hawthorn and Adelaide, I reckon is the template that Sam is using at the moment. Speed out of the back half elite kicking through the corridor to key targets. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favour and watch the 2007 young guns, Sam included and look at who Sam has brought to the table thus far in 2023. The game plan is pretty similar and just as exciting.
Go Hawks!!
That's really interesting I can see where you are coming from. That game was nuts ball pinging back and forward the whole game. It's a risky approach but I feel Mitchell is teaching us to learn how to attack and then the defensive focus will come later which is 07 into 08 to a tee.

Went back and had another look at the game this morning and I actually think we were even better than I gave us credit for.

To be such a young group in the middle, and refusing put Moore, Wingard or Breust in there, yet our accountability, clearance work and transition by hand were all things that evolved and improved through the course of the game.

We might not have a lot of wins, but I’m really looking forward to watching this side find its way together.

I've been here for nigh on 20 years now!!!!

Looking forward to my gold watch and congratulatory telegram from Chief in October!
Lol who do you think we are? Australia Post?

I disagree, he lacks range, average decision maker in tight and is prone to blasting away more frequently than a lot of others. Hey may not be the worst in the comp but it is something he needs to improve if he will be the player we want him to be.
Must have missed the two quality kicks inside 50 that hit the chest of the leading forward

Noticed Reeves went at a lot of taps left handed- still looking after the right shoulder a bit? Or is he a southpaw?

Yes. It's exactly the same as when you call a help line and they always say "We are receiving an above average number of calls at this time"

You can't ALWAYS be receiving an above average number of calls. That's not how averages work.

It can't ALWAYS be uncharacteristic.
For the help line - consider what they mean by 'average'. If it's the average number of calls per hour, they might be correct - if you include all those hours between 11PM and 8AM where they aren't really receiving any calls.

Just like, if we consider all of Dangerfield's accurate kicks at training, warm-up etc. then his plethora of innacurate kicks during gametime are uncharacteristic.

VFL Pies vs BHH
The game was played in good conditions although the lighting is poor. Without binoculars it would have been very difficult the identify players on the opposite side of the ground. The quarter by quarter scores were:
Pies - 2.2.14 / 4.3.27 / 5.4.34 / 7.8.50
BHH - 2.5.17 / 6.8.44 / 8.13.61 / 10.17.77
We controlled the game and the scores were 5.8.38 to 10.16.76 before the Pies kicked the last 2 goals. At least half the behinds could/should have been goals. What stood out was the way the players recognised team mates for pressure acts. There was a notable improvement in the connection between the HFC and BHH players compared to last week against Geelong.
My brief observations on the players:
Ned Long - BOG, played as an inside mid. He was strong winning contested ball, ran tirelessly and broke tackles to dispose of the ball. Kicked 2 very good goals and 1 behind. When he kicked our last goal it gave us the game high lead of 38 points.
Max Lynch - Competed strongly in the ruck, covered a lot of ground and took some contested marks back and forward. Played a really good game.
Seamus Mitchell - Stood out playing as an attacking rebounding defender. His ball handling was generally clean and his decision making and disposal are improving with every game. It's good to see he is finally getting some continuity after so many issues with injuries.
Josh Bennetts - Stood out with pace and some great run down strong tackles. His ball handling was generally clean and he nearly took some species and looks strong in the air for his size. If he made a mistake his second and third efforts were terrific.
Jai Serong - A good first game after being restricted by injury. He read the flight of the ball really well and cleverly outmanoeuvred opponents to win one on one contests. Highly skilled and is looking stronger so a bright prospect. Kicked 1 goal 3 behinds.
Bailey McDonald [Otter - possible nickname i.e OffToTheRaces] - Used his electric pace both defensively and offensively. He also halved a number of one on one contests against bigger opponents. Exciting to watch.
Cooper Stevens - Played as an inside mid and was good winning contested ball. Spread pretty well however at times he delayed his disposal and was dispossessed.
Max Ramsden - Did his fair share of the ruck work and competed well. Looked dangerous when flying for marks and was good at ground level. Kicked 1 goal 2 behinds. Max is an exciting talent and potentially has the biggest upside of our many talented young players. I think he would have been a first round draft pick if he wasn't picked in the mid season draft. For what it's worth I also rated Henry Hustwaite as a first round pick along with Cam Mackenzie and Josh Weddle.
Josh Weddle - [Cliffie - possible nickname because like Cliff Young he just doesn't stop running]. Played a reasonable first half however he stood out in the second half with his power running and good pace. He's already good with his strength to break clear and his disposal on his non preferred left foot is an additional plus.
Emerson Jeka - Worked hard to provide an option and could have been rewarded more however the forward entries need improvement. Took some marks and created opportunities busting some packs when flying for marks. Kicked 1 goal 2 behinds.
Jack O'Sullivan - Was a lively small forward. He can compete well in marking contests and provides strong forward pressure with repeat efforts. Kicked 4 behinds.
Tyler Brockman - Worked his way into the game in the second half with some good chasing to apply pressure. He showed his clean ball handling, skill to evade and footy smarts. Kicked 1 goal.
BHH has recruited very well with Callum Brown, Patrick Naish and Joel Trudgeon all playing good games. It was terrific to see Jaylon Thorpe play after his injury interrupted 2022 season. Watching him flying for marks and creating a last second contest to spoil opponents was really good. He kicked 1 goal 1 behind. Our other goal kickers were Ethan Stanley, Joel Trudgeon and Max Hall.
Max Hall, Lachie Wynd, Lachlan Bryce and Mitch Sruk only played in the second half. Mitch was good with around 15 disposals.
Hugh Beasley, Cal Porter, Damien Mascitti and Ben Cavarra didn't play. Cal broke his hand when training with the Hawks and hopes to play in round 1.
EDIT: Ethan Stanley not Liam Purcell kicked a goal. Seniors moment with both wearing 65.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VFL Pies vs BHH
The game was played in good conditions although the lighting is poor. Without binoculars it would have been very difficult the identify players on the opposite side of the ground. The quarter by quarter scores were:
We controlled the game and the scores were 5.8.38 to 10.16.76 before the Pies kicked the last 2 goals. At least half the behinds could/should have been goals. What stood out was the way the players recognised team mates for pressure acts. There was a notable improvement in the connection between the HFC and BHH players compared to last week against Geelong.
Ned Long - BOG, played as an inside mid. He was strong winning contested ball, ran tirelessly and broke tackles to dispose of the ball. Kicked 2 very good goals and 1 behind. When he kicked our last goal it gave us the game high lead of 38 points.
Max Lynch - Competed strongly in the ruck, covered a lot of ground and took some contested marks back and forward. Played a really good game.
Seamus Mitchell - Stood out playing as an attacking rebounding defender. His ball handling was generally clean and his decision making and disposal are improving with every game. It's good to see he is finally getting some continuity after so many issues with injuries.
Josh Bennetts - Stood out with pace and some great run down strong tackles. His ball handling was generally clean and he nearly took some species and looks strong in the air for his size. If he made a mistake his second and third efforts were terrific.
Jai Serong - A good first game after being restricted by injury. He read the flight of the ball really well and cleverly outmanoeuvred opponents to win one on one contests. Highly skilled and is looking stronger so a bright prospect. Kicked 1 goal 3 behinds.
Bailey McDonald [Otter - possible nickname i.e OffToTheRaces] - Used his electric pace both defensively and offensively. He also halved a number of one on one contests against bigger opponents. Exciting to watch.
Cooper Stevens - Played as an inside mid and was good winning contested ball. Spread pretty well however at times he delayed his disposal and was dispossessed.
Max Ramsden - Did his fair share of the ruck work and competed well. Looked dangerous when flying for marks and was good at ground level. Kicked 1 goal 2 behinds. Max is an exciting talent and potentially has the biggest upside of our many talented young players. I think he would have been a first round draft pick if he wasn't picked in the mid season draft. For what it's worth I also rated Henry Hustwaite as a first round pick along with Cam Mackenzie and Josh Weddle.
Josh Weddle - [Cliffie - possible nickname because like Cliff Young he just doesn't stop running]. Played a reasonable first half however he stood out in the second half with his power running and good pace. He's already good with his strength to break clear and his disposal on his non preferred left foot is an additional plus.
Emerson Jeka - Worked hard to provide an option and could have been rewarded more however the forward entries need improvement. Took some marks and created opportunities busting some packs when flying for marks. Kicked 1 goal 2 behinds.
Jack O'Sullivan - Was a lively small forward. He can compete well in marking contests and provides strong forward pressure with repeat efforts. Kicked 4 behinds.
Tyler Brockman - Worked his way into the game in the second half with some good chasing to apply pressure. He showed his clean ball handling, skill to evade and footy smarts. Kicked 1 goal.
BHH has recruited very well with Callum Brown, Patrick Naish and Joel Trudgeon all playing good games. It was terrific to see Jaylon Thorpe play after his injury interrupted 2022 season. Watching him flying for marks and creating a last second contest to spoil opponents was really good. He kicked 1 goal 1 behind. Our other goal kickers were Liam Purcell, Joel Trudgeon and Max Hall.
Max Hall, Lachie Wynd, Lachlan Bryce and Mitch Sruk only played in the second half. Mitch was good with around 15 disposals.
Hugh Beasley, Cal Porter, Damien Mascitti and Ben Cavarra didn't play. Cal broke his hand when training with the Hawks and hopes to play in round 1.
If Jeka can get back to what he was doing a few years ago at VFL level, kicking goals and attacking packs, it won't be long before he comes back into the AFL side. The working hard part is really all I've seen stopping him from making it.

VFL Pies vs BHH
BHH has recruited very well with Callum Brown, Patrick Naish and Joel Trudgeon all playing good games. It was terrific to see Jaylon Thorpe play after his injury interrupted 2022 season. Watching him flying for marks and creating a last second contest to spoil opponents was really good. He kicked 1 goal 1 behind. Our other goal kickers were Liam Purcell, Joel Trudgeon and Max Hall.

awesome, what a great read.

Fantastic, encouraging report houdinihuddo. And two words about Jeka that I loved to read. "Worked hard". Great to see so many exciting things happening with our younger players.

Do they have another game this week?

Love reading:

Jeka working hard.

Lynch taking marks and having an impact around the ground.

Long playing his natural inside midfielder position (now with the added outside game development).

JOS, Bennetts and Brockman all lively.

Love reading:

Jeka working hard.

Lynch taking marks and having an impact around the ground.

Long playing his natural inside midfielder position (now with the added outside game development).

JOS, Bennetts and Brockman all lively.
Also thought Weddle would take quite a while to get used to the wing after switching from defence. To be showing moments of promise and signs of being damaging this early in such a difficult position is encouraging.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back