Autopsy Hawthorn v Collingwood - Practice match - Thursday 2nd March, UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

I hear you J2S, but we need to persist with Reeves. His potential is crazy (based on games last year) and dropping him will kill any confidence he has. Keep in mind it's a development year and wins are less important.
I wasn’t aware that Reeves was so flaky (he probably isn’t)

What does it say about a player that dropping him to VFL will kill his confidence? (It probably won’t)

If you’re playing poorly in the 1s, you get sent back to the 2s. Having Meek probably currently #1 and Lynch able to put pressure as #3 (subject to change) means we have 3 evenly matched rucks and the 3rd best performed may get the BHH jumper for a game or two.

Not a great defender or detractor of Worps. But it was a typical Worpel dump kick out of a contest that resulted in our first goal, floating to the top of the 50m arc and Kozzie bring the ball to ground.
If I recall correctly, I'm sure he was involved in our 2nd goal too.

Seriously hope not, one of the most overrated players in the league. An absolute tease. 6 years into a career and hasn’t put in 1 good season. Is still on a list because he’s tall and athletic and takes a decent grab once every 6 weeks. think he’s a better Ruck than a forward. So doesn’t really help our situation. Also if he’s semi decent this year carlton will want the world for him. Would much rather throw abit more coin at himmelberg and get him as a free agent
Why bring skin colour into this.

Just one more thing on the Kozi 'issue':

Whilst I'm not the biggest fan of 'at this point of their careers' as players develop at different rates, many on here will remember me (and others) talking about Lewis last off season and comparing him to where Larkey was at the same stage, etc (for those North supporters suggesting Lewis was rubbish).

Incidentally, last off season when these comparisons were being made, Lewis had played 36 games of AFL. We highlighted he had kicked 47 goals at that stage which was only a couple behind Larkey at 36 games (who had kicked 51).

Well, guess what? Kozi has coincidentally played exactly 36 games. He has kicked 45 goals - which is pretty comparable (and includes some extra time in the ruck).

Also, Kozi is 2 years younger than Lewis and 2 years ago Lewis was coming off a horror 2020 campaign before coming out and kicking 22 goals from 14 games and generally looking better before taking another leap last year.

Now, they are different players and not everyone will take 'leaps' at the rate of Lewis - but the point is it is too early to write off Kozi - just as it was for Lewis 2 years ago. This is the year, however, that he really needs to solidify himself (ala '21 Lewis).
Can we have a discussion about Kozi without comparing him to Lewis please? Different players, different issues. If Lewis had any consistency problems they were due to a shoulder reconstruction and a severe concussion that took him months to overcome.

Lewis had a season kicking roughly 3 goals a game at VFL level in 2018 before being brought in and effectively replacing Roughy in 2019 where he was top 5 in the league for contested marks per game and top 10 for marks inside 50. Kosi hasn't been able to show that consistency with any part of his game yet.

He has far more in common with O'Brien at this stage.

Kosi just needs to kick straight and from those set shots and everyone would be singing his praises.

The fact he's consistently getting those set shots on goals is very promising. Just needs to fix the finish.

Kosi just needs to kick straight and from those set shots and everyone would be singing his praises.

The fact he's consistently getting those set shots on goals is very promising. Just needs to fix the finish.
It’s mental. When he first started out playing forward, his kicking was quite accurate and his technique okay. He has the yips, as is the lot of many a forward at some point in their career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly, he is 3.14 the last 3 weeks, imagine if he kicked 14.3 we'd be pretty excited for the upcoming season, he just needs to get his head over the ball when kicking, instead of leaning back so much.

Exactly, he is 3.14 the last 3 weeks, imaging if he kicked 14.3 we'd be pretty excited for the upcoming season, he just needs to get his head over the ball when kicking, instead of leaning back so much.
It’s frustrating because we can all see what he’s doing wrong.

His job is to get the ball in to the hands of Daicos x2, Crisp, Pendles, etc. He did that

Meters gained remains one of the most flawed stats in the league
As I've posted many times, net gain is a better metric.
Almost impossible to measure, but a kick that goes 20m backwards, but in turn leads to a slingshot style goal would be 100m+ instead of minus 20.

Finally got to watch the replay.

We have green shoots of a midfield! Frenchie will be a star, and Day showed he is going to transition beautifully. Newk, Ward, Frenchie, Day, Amon, Morrison as the core with Worps, Finn, Nash as rotation/role players is looking good. I still haven’t seen Stephens play.

CMac could be special up forward. His ability to get boot to ball quickly together with his decision making are going to be dangerous. Him + Chad, Bruest and Moore is a dangerous combo.

Defence hasn’t checked in for the year yet. Since they’re our best line, no doubt when they turn up we’ll be set!

Seriously hope not, one of the most overrated players in the league. An absolute tease. 6 years into a career and hasn’t put in 1 good season. Is still on a list because he’s tall and athletic and takes a decent grab once every 6 weeks. think he’s a better Ruck than a forward. So doesn’t really help our situation. Also if he’s semi decent this year carlton will want the world for him. Would much rather throw abit more coin at himmelberg and get him as a free agent

Wait for it - he will end up at Geelong to play with his brother.

How many ex-blues have turned out ok or better at Geelong?

It’s frustrating because we can all see what he’s doing wrong.
Says to me its a mental/routine thing most likely on match/gameday .
The club and he would have been working on it but during match pressure it falls apart.

Sometimes harder to rectify then the actual technique issue

D
Says to me its a mental/routine thing most likely on match/gameday .
The club and he would have been working on it but during match pressure it falls apart.

Sometimes harder to rectify then the actual technique issue
Dont know if you recall Roughy went through a horrendous patch with his set shots. I think he was trying to emulate Tim Boyle who had a simple but effective routine. He wasnt getting any momentum behind the ball on the strike; reminds me very much of what Kosi is dealing with presently.

We have green shoots of a midfield! Frenchie will be a star, and Day showed he is going to transition beautifully. Newk, Ward, Frenchie, Day, Amon, Morrison as the core with Worps, Finn, Nash as rotation/role players is looking good. I still haven’t seen Stephens play.

CMac could be special up forward. His ability to get boot to ball quickly together with his decision making are going to be dangerous. Him + Chad, Bruest and Moore is a dangerous combo.

Defence hasn’t checked in for the year yet. Since they’re our best line, no doubt when they turn up we’ll be set!
Add Fergus to that forward line with Kozi and Lewis and looks like a real one !

Is there anywhere to watch the replay that doesnt require getting a subscription to Kayo?

I was impressed with Day around the contest, he didn't look at all out of place and was clean with his ball use. Looking forward to seeing him grow in that role.

Mackenzie looked like a guy who has been in the AFL system for 3 years. Clean, composed and gets in the right spots. We really have a player on our hands here.

Kosi had a solid game, took some strong marks but let himself down with disposal. He looked a lot more confident and it meant we were more dangerous going forward. Hopefully can sort out his kicking routine, maybe make a call to Bung to help him simplify his set shot approach.
At the other end of the ground, I really liked

Blanck's game, he was rarely beaten in the air and his follow up work is really good. Always looks to be giving 100% and if he does make a mistake you can see how annoyed he is and wants to make up for it. He is a very similar player to Frost in that he likes to run with the ball and back himself but disposal seems a level above. I think these two are going to be fight for a spot later in the year.

Hustwaite has a lot of good attributes, probably still a bit raw and needs another preseason to really fill out his frame but he looks like a long term player with a good football brain. Greene is gonna fill the Gunston hole nicely. Works hard and has really good leading patterns. He reminds me a bit of Mark Williams in the way he just offers repeat lead ups. If he can be half as good as Williams was we'll be happy.

Overall a much better hitout than last week. Geelong game was very experimental and a lot of open play without much structure whereas the pies game was more structured whilst still doing a lot of positional shuffling to find out best mixes and let the younger guys play in different spots.

Excited for the season to begin, I think we will surprise a few but i know it'll be a bumpy season. Will be one hell of a ride.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back