McGovern: 1 yr @ start of 2016, 3 years at the end of 2017 - confirmed legend

What do you think McGovern will do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeeeeeez, if Hawks are replacing their 'stars' with Pittard and Trengove, then all I can say is good luck to them:D
Remember they have buggar all draft picks next season, so will be looking for free agents.

Bit too early in his career to compare him to a legend. Plus thats a different era when a alot of kpf were around the 190cm. I think even Ablett SNR was 188cm.
IMHO Shooter is best suited as the key tall target close to goal. Our problem is that Jenkins plays that role at the moment and is not well suited to any other position. When Shooter did play as a key forward (e.g. Essendon match) he looked very good.

It's anyone's guess where he will play this season. If Tex and Jenkins are fit then Shooter is most likely to play a similar role to last year.

IMHO Shooter is best suited as the key tall target close to goal. Our problem is that Jenkins plays that role at the moment and is not well suited to any other position. When Shooter did play as a key forward (e.g. Essendon match) he looked very good.

It's anyone's guess where he will play this season. If Tex and Jenkins are fit then Shooter is most likely to play a similar role to last year.
I dunno tbh. You watch him heaps more than I do so you have a better understanding but to me it's hard to see him lining up against FB like Rance, Talia, hooker and etc as they would not only easily beat him in a physical contest but would have the height and reach to nullify his high leap. You are also getting young talls that are pushing 200cm who are very good athletes that wouldn't having much issue nullifing a guy like shooter.

I could see him becoming a better version of Adam hunter in a true swingman style. You could potentially play his as your third tall defender in front of Hartigan and Chuck him forward when Pyke needs a spark up forward. Playing Gov in defence also give you a more of a mobile defence as well I guess.

I dunno tbh. You watch him heaps more than I do so you have a better understanding but to me it's hard to see him lining up against FB like Rance, Talia, hooker and etc as they would not only easily beat him in a physical contest but would have the height and reach to nullify his high leap. You are also getting young talls that are pushing 200cm who are very good athletes that wouldn't having much issue nullifing a guy like shooter.

I could see him becoming a better version of Adam hunter in a true swingman style. You could potentially play his as your third tall defender in front of Hartigan and Chuck him forward when Pyke needs a spark up forward. Playing Gov in defence also give you a more of a mobile defence as well I guess.
Maybe ... but his speed / agility / leap / hands are all top notch. I'd hate to see Talia try and match-up on him if he was playing against us.

I don't think he is full forward in our team, but we are flush with a talented forward line at the moment ... it's crowded up there.

Betts - JJ / Dear - Menzel
McGovern - Walker - Lynch

That is pretty bloody scary for opposition defences.

I put JJ / Dear because I think we can use Dear at FF soon, he has the game to make that spot his imo. Then JJ can expand his role to utilise his one real strength, his running ability for his size. Hard to match up on a guy that is as mobile as JJ and yet is 100+ kgs. Of course, I'd love him to throw that 100kgs around a bit more ... but alas I don't see it happening.

Maybe ... but his speed / agility / leap / hands are all top notch. I'd hate to see Talia try and match-up on him if he was playing against us.

I don't think he is full forward in our team, but we are flush with a talented forward line at the moment ... it's crowded up there.

Betts - JJ / Dear - Menzel
McGovern - Walker - Lynch

That is pretty bloody scary for opposition defences.

I put JJ / Dear because I think we can use Dear at FF soon, he has the game to make that spot his imo. Then JJ can expand his role to utilise his one real strength, his running ability for his size. Hard to match up on a guy that is as mobile as JJ and yet is 100+ kgs. Of course, I'd love him to throw that 100kgs around a bit more ... but alas I don't see it happening.

Gov is just exciting full stop. The sky is the limit but he needs to maintain speed and mobility. Could he become a cleaner version of the birdman. Can he still get to high marking contests if defenders pick him out to block his run? Needs that mobility to counter that type of defensive approach to his strengths.

This year he will start to clunk more of those grabs and then defenders will look to block his run. But that will open opportunities for others. We desperately need to keep that forward 6 together on our list and then swing Milera and CC down their to mix up and upset their defensive set ups.

Hopefully Dear can also step up to that level too and then we will have a massive headache on who to play. A good problem to have if you can get it.

We need to make sure we get games into deer and menzel this year to ensure a smooth transition "should" Gov not be there.

This is only sensible and Gov will be mature enough to understand why we need to do this. No one is begrudging him thinking about going home and nobody is saying it will happen. Whilst it remains a possibility it is the footy clubs responsibility to manage risks appropriately.

I DO NOT want to see inaction with the accompanying rhetoric that "we're backing our culture in to keep him".

Manage risks sensibly AFC.

For what is worth I think Gov is most effective when given space to run into and jump at the ball. Parking him in the goal square is not where I'd put him.

Leaving something on the park speaks more about running your guts out and being spent after every game. Its not that competitive beast within that instinctively makes them attack every contest like their lives depend on it. Its winner take all at every contest. You usually see this type of intensity only in finals, but some players seem to show that throughout the season as well.

If your 3 points down and there is 30 seconds to go on GF day, who do you want to be there at that 50-50 contest. I wouldnt be thinking one of the Crouch boys. Hopefully that will change in the next 8 months.

I'd be thinking Brad Crouch ahead of any other player on our list.

This reply is for you and Crowsenvy then. I can't see why I have to have every single point to be 100% correct. Did we or did we not play GWS at AO and the media tell all and sundry we would get beaten easily in the midfield? Does it matter that I called it "late in the year"? Hell, I can't even remember one happened yesterday yet you expect me to know last year's schedule? You know very well I'm older than you so cut the GenY crap out. My kids are GenY.

The fact remains our midfield was nowhere near as bad as you and he both think it was. We got beaten in the final by a better team on the day. Accept it and don't hang your hats on that loss. We finish 5th not 15th. I have been very quiet on here lately because sometimes the pedantic nature of this board really gets up my nose.

I had no idea how old you are, seem very Gen Y to me. Look, you stated our midfield "killed" theirs. That's a fabrication and deserves to be called out. I thought our midfield would struggle pre-game but was very happy that they at least held their own, I've never said they were bad. I only weighed in because of your outrageously poor assessment. But I'm not delusional, so I don't think we killed them either. Perhaps if you weren't so careless with your language, other posters wouldn't seem so pedantic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had no idea how old you are, seem very Gen Y to me. Look, you stated our midfield "killed" theirs. That's a fabrication and deserves to be called out. I thought our midfield would struggle pre-game but was very happy that they at least held their own, I've never said they were bad. I only weighed in because of your outrageously poor assessment. But I'm not delusional, so I don't think we killed them either. Perhaps if you weren't so careless with your language, other posters wouldn't seem so pedantic.

I have stated on several occasions I'm 65 and retired. Well, we "killed" them in as much they were expected to dominate our midfield. Did you not read or hear that prior to the game? It was certainly plastered all over the media how they would dominate us in the midfield and as a result would beat us even though we played well at AO. You must have missed the end of game reports then, they certainly did more than hold their own which makes me think your assessment is faulty and just as outrageous as mine was according to you.

What I take from this is the notion I must dot every i and cross every t or else I'm careless with my language. This must be a powerful sin in your mind. Stats while useful certainly do not tell the whole story at times.

Now, what else do you want to argue about THIS off season?

I have stated on several occasions I'm 65 and retired. Well, we "killed" them in as much they were expected to dominate our midfield. Did you not read or hear that prior to the game? It was certainly plastered all over the media how they would dominate us in the midfield and as a result would beat us even though we played well at AO. You must have missed the end of game reports then, they certainly did more than hold their own which makes me think your assessment is faulty and just as outrageous as mine was according to you.

What I take from this is the notion I must dot every i and cross every t or else I'm careless with my language. This must be a powerful sin in your mind. Stats while useful certainly do not tell the whole story at times.

Now, what else do you want to argue about THIS off season?
Thompson
Role of coaches in selection...

Not true.

Port have 2 of their better players (Trengove & Pittard) coming out of contract as free agents. Both are originally from interstate, yet buggar all mention compared to the McGovern stuff.
Carn Kane it's obvious, Port haven't had very good players leave over the most recent period, everyone is hanging on / semi-expecting the crows to lose another player. Whether they do or not will be proven over the next 3 years or so. Don't lose anyone and people will get over it and move onto Richmond or something.

I'd be thinking Brad Crouch ahead of any other player on our list.

If your right about that then we are going to be a much better side this season than I have us. I would have Sloane at the top of my list. I would want one of the Crouches if we were in front by three and trying to contain by bringing the contest to a ball up. But winning the ball and then kicking a goal or finding someone in a flooded forward line I wouldn't be too confident he would get the job done. The problem is that we are not really a contested footy side and we don't really have one-on-one contest winners. The team plan is about using the ball in space, not at the contests.

I wouldn't mind Eddie in that scenario because he is so smart and a massive moment like that wouldn't be just your run of the mill contest. It would be a battle of the minds as much as physical contest. Also, if he did win the ball then you like his chances of converting that possession into a goal with the last play of the day.

Carn Kane it's obvious, Port haven't had very good players leave over the most recent period, everyone is hanging on / semi-expecting the crows to lose another player. Whether they do or not will be proven over the next 3 years or so. Don't lose anyone and people will get over it and move onto Richmond or something.
Hard to lose a boomerang like Hartlett :p

I'll be mighty relieved if both Lever and McGovern sign up. On the back of Jenkins and B Crouch hopefully it will go some way towards redressing the reputation we have.

You're due then... ;)

Back