McGovern: 1 yr @ start of 2016, 3 years at the end of 2017 - confirmed legend

What do you think McGovern will do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Most of our players- even the good ones - have some sort of significant drawback, e.g. lack of pace, average hands, poor kick.

It's hard to knock McGovern though. Pace, athleticism, great overhead, smart. The worst you can say about him is that he's still a bit raw, and perhaps misses the odd easy set shot. Big deal.

He's already bloody good and could be one of our greats. Must keep.

Look I like lever but he seems to have a bigger rep than what he's actually achieved so far.

I disagree.

I dont think he is overrated. You cant judge him against 5th or 6th year players, you have to judge him against his peers (years 1-3). He was pick 14 in the draft after a major knee injury, so he would have gone much higher. His development in his first three years has been above almost all in his draft year. Here are those drafted in 2014 in order:

Paddy McCartin, Christian Petracca, Angus Brayshaw, Jarrod Pickett, Jordan De Goey, Caleb Marchbank, Paul Ahern, Peter Wright, Darcy Moore (F/S), Nakia Cockatoo, Liam Duggan, Corey Ellis, Lachie Weller, Jake Lever, Jarrod Garlett

So we couldn't have got anybody before him anyway, but he has arguably done as well as anyone on that list. I think a number of those players (McCartin, Petracca, Wright, Moore) clearly have a higher ceiling than Jake, but as of now, you could argue that we have a top 5 draft pick on our hands here.

The other point is that he is the same height as Hartigan, and still has to fill out. His skills, positioning and instincts are already better than Hartigan. Personally, I think that Hartigan can be a weakness in our side. I see Lever as taking Hartigan's second KPD role and then hopefully bringing through another A-grader to do what Lever is doing now. You just can't afford to let players like Lever leave your club. You build around them.

The other point is that he is the same height as Hartigan, and still has to fill out. His skills, positioning and instincts are already better than Hartigan. Personally, I think that Hartigan can be a weakness in our side. I see Lever as taking Hartigan's second KPD role and then hopefully bringing through another A-grader to do what Lever is doing now. You just can't afford to let players like Lever leave your club. You build around them.
this is a fanciful attitude, you can't stack every line with A-graders.

you need to treat the squad like a band. Spend most of your money on the singer and lead guitarist and then put the rest towards finding a bass player and drummer who can stay in time and know they're not going to get a better gig anywhere else - because we've got Freddie Mercury and we're going places.

this is a fanciful attitude, you can't stack every line with A-graders.

you need to treat the squad like a band. Spend most of your money on the singer and lead guitarist and then put the rest towards finding a bass player and drummer who can stay in time and know they're not going to get a better gig anywhere else - because we've got Freddie Mercury and we're going places.

Well we took Doedee with a first round pick. Another defender. He was taken with the recruiters thinking he could be a future A-grader. Now they might have got that pick wrong, but if he does turn out to be an A-grader then we already have one on our list. We just need to make room for him in the team. Where? If Lever becomes the second tall then maybe Tom can come in and be that player. We have Talia, Lever, Smith and Laird who for me are locks in the backline. We also have Brown and Hartigan. If Doedee is a gun that can play Levers current role and if Lever can play the Hartigan role then we already have the cattle. Its not fanciful at all. You want to stack as many A-graders into your team as you can recruit and develop.

I disagree.

I dont think he is overrated. You cant judge him against 5th or 6th year players, you have to judge him against his peers (years 1-3). He was pick 14 in the draft after a major knee injury, so he would have gone much higher. His development in his first three years has been above almost all in his draft year. Here are those drafted in 2014 in order:

Paddy McCartin, Christian Petracca, Angus Brayshaw, Jarrod Pickett, Jordan De Goey, Caleb Marchbank, Paul Ahern, Peter Wright, Darcy Moore (F/S), Nakia Cockatoo, Liam Duggan, Corey Ellis, Lachie Weller, Jake Lever, Jarrod Garlett

So we couldn't have got anybody before him anyway, but he has arguably done as well as anyone on that list. I think a number of those players (McCartin, Petracca, Wright, Moore) clearly have a higher ceiling than Jake, but as of now, you could argue that we have a top 5 draft pick on our hands here.

No where have i judged him against 5th or 6th year players, if anything it was vs McGovern, who is slightly older but around the same experience.
Can you name a player he has dominated?
He hasn't had an equal to a 40 goal a year, year like McGovern has.
His skills are no better than hartigans, people convently forget that, he turns it over plenty along with DT.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I had to choose between Gov and Lever at this stage, I'm going Gov. Just.

In Lever's favour:
Likely future captain
Shown a bit more consistency, and is younger, so more room for growth

In Govs's favour:
Forwards rarer than defenders
We have Otten and Keath who can play Lever's role, who can play Gov's?
Arguably has more weapons, and thus is more 'dangerous'

That said, I want to keep both. Lever will be like Josh Gibson in his prime IMO, whilst I just cannot pin-point a comparison for Gov, he's so different to any type of player I've seen in recent times

Look I like lever but he seems to have a bigger rep than what he's actually achieved so far.

I think that given his lanky frame and he arrived off a 12 month ACL, his first 2 years have been as good as any kid that has walked into the club. I understand the view that as a backman he'll never be as valuable as a similarly skilled forward or that he might not come on much more, but I think that if anything, he's probably a bit underated.

I think that given his lanky frame and he arrived off a 12 month ACL, his first 2 years have been as good as any kid that has walked into the club. I understand the view that as a backman he'll never be as valuable as a similarly skilled forward or that he might not come on much more, but I think that if anything, he's probably a bit underated.

That's an inexplicable claim

He was gifted (invested) games in year 1. Rightly so

In year 2 he was in the side on merit and showed some great signs in our first final

But he doesn't even have a position and he hasn't actually done very much on field. He's all about future development.

Lever is about what he will be on a thin cv so far but a lot of promise

Mitch is also about what he will be, based on what he already has done.

You want to keep both but if both are being targeted it's an easy call.

For Lever to have real value to be worth the hype he either needs to be a key defender. If he is just a 3rd tall he can still be great, but that means he needs to be Ben Hart or Boris Enright.

The likelihood of that seems remote to me. It's a high bar if he's not a key defender

Just had a mosey over to the WCE board and they may be a little delusional over there.
- gov not as talented as darling
-would be nice if he came cheap but not worth paying a high price
-kick about 30 a year
-late second rounder
-Plays as a small forward like hill and
Lecras

To be fair we would be talking him down if he was coming our way.

I hope the AFC do all they can ( within reason) to hold on to him, but if he is going ie made his mind up, then get the best deal.

The issue is going to a 2 team town limits a clubs ability to negotiate

To be fair we would be talking him down if he was coming our way.

I hope the AFC do all they can ( within reason) to hold on to him, but if he is going ie made his mind up, then get the best deal.

The issue is going to a 2 team town limits a clubs ability to negotiate
It makes no difference, because even if he went to a vic club, you're still negotiating with one club. Players dont leave and say, 'Im happy to go to Carlton, Collingwood, StKilda... which ever one has the best deal for the old club'.

Back