News Media Thread, 2023: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is that?

In the photo is Alec Waterman and Hamish Brayshaw.

You probably don't recognise Waterman as it's one of the few photos where he's not drowning in clunge.

In the photo is Alec Waterman and Hamish Brayshaw.

You probably don't recognise Waterman as it's one of the few photos where he's not drowning in clunge.
It's a stupid threat to make if you think about it ...

Imagine being employed at www.slavelabor.com.au (not a real site FYI) and in your free time you are able to live a good quality life and not have to be around all the slave labor. Then one day, your employer says they will fire your ass if you don't quit living a good life and you must spend it investigating ways to be better at slave labor.

Same thing.

It's a stupid threat to make if you think about it ...

Imagine being employed at www.slavelabor.com.au (not a real site FYI) and in your free time you are able to live a good quality life and not have to be around all the slave labor. Then one day, your employer says they will fire your ass if you don't quit living a good life and you must spend it investigating ways to be better at slave labor.

Same thing.

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TBH I have mixed feelings about it. I do see the conflict of interest but also I'd expect a level of professionalism from an employee for that to not be an issue.

Maybe they had trouble with one person in particular and just decided to make a blanket rule. 🤷‍♂️

TBH I have mixed feelings about it. I do see the conflict of interest but also I'd expect a level of professionalism from an employee for that to not be an issue.

Maybe they had trouble with one person in particular and just decided to make a blanket rule. 🤷‍♂️
I don't think it's that unusual, they are basically saying if you get paid by the club, you can't play for a rival club and work against their on-field sucess. Kinda makes sense, but obviously there's reasons why it got to this. Hamish Brayshaw moved to East Perth after West Coast withdrew form the WAFL. Sure, they came back, but he had a new contract to honour then. Probably also has something to do with the fact they had to let them play elsewhere previously because they didn't have enough points/salary cap to keep to everyone, but now they have been raised.

Let’s be honest the jobs they have at the club are cushy as they come for decent money. If they weren’t working for us they’d have to be out in a real gig earning half the money if they are lucky.

The cushy nature of the job allows them to concentrate on their footy. For such a benefit they should be helping their employer not actively hurting it’s main aim.

All for it to be honest.

The existing restraint, which is actually a restraint even if you think it's not, will last 50 per cent longer than it currently does.
Maybe so but it’s not a right to play AFL at the highest level. Just like any occupation you have to interview and be offered the role. There are expectations and standards your employer set out and you must adhere to them if you wish to be employed and stay employed.

If they don’t agree with the terms of the draft as an equalisation tool for the competition then they can always play VFL or WAFL or local footy.

They are not restricted from playing football or even making a living off it, but if they want a chance to play at the highest level then sacrifices are expected.

The argument could be made that without the perceived equalisation tools the AFL employ a national competition wouldn’t be viable and this would dramatically affect what the players can earn, length of career, viable options of employment.. etc

From a legal standpoint it would certainly be interesting to see how both sides would argue their position.

However for me they can’t eat their cake and have it to.

Last edited:
Maybe so but it’s not a right to play AFL at the highest level. Just like any occupation you have to interview and be offered the role. There are expectations and standards your employer set out and you must adhere to them if you wish to be employed and stay employed.

If they don’t agree with the terms of the draft as an equalisation tool for the competition then they can always play VFL or WAFL or local footy.

They are not restricted from playing football or even making a living off it, but if they want a chance to play at the highest level then sacrifices are expected.

The argument could be made that without the perceived equalisation tools the AFL employ a national competition wouldn’t be viable and this would dramatically affect what the players can earn, length of career, viable options of employment.. etc

Can’t eat your cake and have it to.

Harley Reid could, and probably will, make millions playing football at the highest level. You can’t argue that if he doesn’t want to enter the draft he can go play state league footy where the maximum pay is a tiny fraction of that. You’re massively, massively limiting his earning potential doing that. That’s not a genuine choice he has.

The law is that restraints are allowed provided they’re reasonable. Otherwise, denying workers their choice of employer is an unreasonable restraint of trade. You can’t tell a top med student who could make big coin working in a big private hospital that, too bad, he’s needed in a poor rural hospital on the other side of the country, and if he doesn’t like it he can just go work in a local doctor’s surgery. No other industry works that way.

The argument that the AFL would run, if anyone took it to court, is that draft is a reasonable measure in order to promote the evenness of the competition.

The counter to that is that other competitions seem to do reasonably well in the evenness stakes without a draft. The NRL, for example, has a decent spread of recent premiers and finalists. You have teams that are perennially up the pointy end and teams that are perennially struggling, but so do we. So is the draft really adding anything?

It’s all a moot point because no one is challenging it any time soon, but it’s a clear restraint and arguably not a necessary one.

Let’s be honest the jobs they have at the club are cushy as they come for decent money. If they weren’t working for us they’d have to be out in a real gig earning half the money if they are lucky.

The cushy nature of the job allows them to concentrate on their footy. For such a benefit they should be helping their employer not actively hurting it’s main aim.

All for it to be honest.

Couple of points here..
A)it’s not the eagles main aim for their wafl side to win a premiership… players don’t want to play for sides whose main aim is not to win..

B) they aren’t employed by the eagles to play football.. they are employed in marketing, Membership or game development.. so their pay doesn’t include a play a game component…

C) it’s their free time, they can chose whatever they want to do in their free time..

It’s a completely jerk move that proved agin exactly how poorly the footy club is being run.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Couple of points here..
A)it’s not the eagles main aim for their wafl side to win a premiership… players don’t want to play for sides whose main aim is not to win..

B) they aren’t employed by the eagles to play football.. they are employed in marketing, Membership or game development.. so their pay doesn’t include a play a game component…

C) it’s their free time, they can chose whatever they want to do in their free time..

It’s a completely jerk move that proved agin exactly how poorly the footy club is being run.

As an East Perth fan, how would you feel about someone working in the club during the week, then lining up for West Perth against the Royals on a Saturday afternoon?

Couple of points here..

Will ask the question for you Migs since you are on his ignore list :laughing:

"As an East Perth fan, how would you feel about someone working in the club during the week, then lining up for West Perth against the Royals on a Saturday afternoon?"

Couple of points here..

well its all one 'football industry'. What message does it send to potential clients and stakeholders if an eagles marketing person 'selling WC' choses to play for an oposition entity in the same industry.
Time for WC to harden up, cut dead wood and enforce some standards. Good to see. Check out conditions of contract I see and this is mild. People who take WC money need to be for us not against us.

Posted the below in the other thread but it’s relevant to the discussion here re the club and dual employment

It’s stickdick so the information is either incorrect or from someone with an axe to grind with the club

Go through the article and you likely find where this has come from

• Brayshaw joined EP because the WAFL team was temporarily disbanded and has been employed at WCE ever since without issue
• (Sam) Rotham was playing at West Perth when his employment at WCE commenced so if it wasn’t an issue then why would it be an issue now
• (Alec) Waterman has been employed from about the same time he agreed to play for the Beagles but per the article is now considering a move to Claremont. Coincidentally his brother Jake is in the middle of what’s been a protracted and bumpy contract negotiation

So maybe WCE have told Alec that his job doesn’t exist if he moves and he’s in turn pointed the hypocrisy of Brayshaw and Rotham having that arrangement, prompting an over reaction. Or this is Waterman specific but whoever has told Stickdick has implied it covers Rotham and Brayshaw as well

I suspect there’s factual holes in the story and the truth is different to how it’s been reported from someone whose writing has consistently been negative about the club. And often wrong

Harley Reid could, and probably will, make millions playing football at the highest level. You can’t argue that if he doesn’t want to enter the draft he can go play state league footy where the maximum pay is a tiny fraction of that. You’re massively, massively limiting his earning potential doing that. That’s not a genuine choice he has.

The law is that restraints are allowed provided they’re reasonable. Otherwise, denying workers their choice of employer is an unreasonable restraint of trade. You can’t tell a top med student who could make big coin working in a big private hospital that, too bad, he’s needed in a poor rural hospital on the other side of the country, and if he doesn’t like it he can just go work in a local doctor’s surgery. No other industry works that way.

The argument that the AFL would run, if anyone took it to court, is that draft is a reasonable measure in order to promote the evenness of the competition.

The counter to that is that other competitions seem to do reasonably well in the evenness stakes without a draft. The NRL, for example, has a decent spread of recent premiers and finalists. You have teams that are perennially up the pointy end and teams that are perennially struggling, but so do we. So is the draft really adding anything?

It’s all a moot point because no one is challenging it any time soon, but it’s a clear restraint and arguably not a necessary one.
Thanks for the reasoned analysis. I appreciate your conclusions and insight however I would say the NRL would be a poor comparison mainly due the majority of its teams being in the heartland of its sporting code.

Would the NRL find a similar drafting system essential if they had expanded more into regions such as W.A and S.A where the code is less played and watched?

It’s partially those variables that make the draft such a requirement, or at least that’s the argument I believe they would present,

Anyway it’s a moot point as I doubt any player is ever going to challenge it. They would be severely ostracised for attempting such a move and potentially rocking the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back