News Media Thread, 2023: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we can gather possession while stopping the opponents from possessing the ball, this bodes well for future success.
If we can score more than the opposition that also bodes very well.

But seriously....

Nah 2 goals for more and 2 goals less against on average would be HUGE improvement

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Code sports Article

The main street in Tongala is built for purpose rather than civic excess.

There’s a grocery store, a bakery, a takeaway cafe, a bank and a pub.

Further down the road, the biggest retailer is the local farming and hardware supplies store and, when (Harley Reid) is mentioned at the counter, staff emerge from all corners beaming.

There is a unique sense of pride to see one of its own up in lights, says Paul ‘Pip’ Cox, who on weekends acts as Tongala Football-Netball Club’s footy manager.

“It doesn‘t come around for many towns let alone a small one-pub town like Tongala,” he tells CODE Sports. “To have someone as special as Harley Reid come out and go No.1, it’s amazing.”

Co-worker Matt Daniel coached Tongala this season and will soon have a lifelong claim to fame as Reid’s last senior coach before he goes to the AFL.

The most indelible of memories for Daniel, Cox and most people in Tongala is the solitary senior game Reid played for his hometown in 2023. The selection was kept quiet so as not to create a frenzy, but the jungle drums were beating regardless.

By Saturday, half of Tongala drove to Echuca for the away game knowing it might be their last chance to see the local hero play.

Echuca United Football Netball Club made a small fortune on the gate and ran out of food by half-time.

“He took two hangers and kicked four goals,” Daniel tells CODE Sports of the day the struggling Tonny won by eight goals.

“He pretty much won us the game in the third quarter and he’s a 17-year-old. Thirty-year-old senior players played that little bit extra just because they knew this day will be talked about for years.”

President Maloney recalls how Reid instantly transformed the side.

“He’s running out of the middle, dodging three blokes and kicking goals,” he says.

There were premiership-like celebrations in the change rooms afterwards, everyone clamouring for a piece of the young star.

“It was pretty emotional,” Cox says. “It was something he wanted to do and it was a bit of a farewell, thank you and all the best.”

Tongala, population 1,900, has endured more than its share of hardship. Harley Reid has brought optimism back, writes SHANNON GILL.

READ MORE | bit.ly/474z8EQ

Screenshot_2023-12-30-12-13-40-285-edit_com.facebook.katana.jpg

In the spirit of the thread, today being my birthday and the second last day of the year, I wanted to do a final Caro's Arrow to all the flogs in the Victoria media and Kane Cornes who were hell bent on trying to influence the draft with non stop nonsensical articles and media pieces all year long about Harley Reid not wanting to come to West Coast and demands of us trading the first pick, also stooping so low as to inflate Dan Curtins draft stock even though he wasn't projected to be a top 5 pick at any stage of the year.

May you all suffer in your jocks and let it seer your souls to see Number 9 with floppy blonde hair in a headband for years to come.

🖕:)🖕

Have a happy and safe New Year's celebrations everyone and see you all next year.

In the spirit of the thread, today being my birthday and the second last day of the year, I wanted to do a final Caro's Arrow to all the flogs in the Victoria media and Kane Cornes who were hell bent on trying to influence the draft with non stop nonsensical articles and media pieces all year long about Harley Reid not wanting to come to West Coast and demands of us trading the first pick, also stooping so low as to inflate Dan Curtins draft stock even though he wasn't projected to be a top 5 pick at any stage of the year.

May you all suffer in your jocks and let it seer your souls to see Number 9 with floppy blonde hair in a headband for years to come.

:)

Have a happy and safe New Year's celebrations everyone and see you all next year.

Who needs "Caro's Arrow" when you've got "Byron's Clanger"?

:)

Happy birthday mate !!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What an absolute STITCH UP

Fox Footy are showing the "best " games from previous seasons

2019s inclusion...

That ****ed up Rd23 game v Haw in the last rd that cost us top 4

SURELY there were better games that year.

Sickening

2019s inclusion...

Sickening

Lol - that's ridiculous. The Hawks didn't even make the 8, so the win meant nothing to them either.

Though I so recall several Hawks fans going on about how their rebuild was complete and they'd be top 4 in 2020.

Brandon is spot on except he forgot to mention injury free year​

ADAM SIMPSON (West Coast)​

Let the kids loose in the middle. The future is here and now for the struggling Eagles, and it's time for Reuben Ginbey, Elijah Hewett, Campbell Chesser and a guy called Harley Reid to take the reins in the engine room. Tim Kelly, Dom Sheed and Elliot Yeo are still around as experienced heads but the only way to lift this club out of the doldrums is to get games into the aforementioned youngsters. What have you got to lose? – Brandon Cohen

2019s inclusion...

Sickening

We featured in a few best games of yhe year tho

05 GF, 06 GF, 17 EF, 18 GF, 14 v GC, and one other year.

Still waiting to see a freo game of the year.

Maybe 13 GF?

This was their bit on the Eagles

CAN HARLEY REID CHANGE THE EAGLES’ NARRATIVE … AND SAVE SIMMO?

That’s too much pressure to put on a kid who doesn’t turn 19 until April, though the Perth media’s obsession with Harley Reid is already starting to look a little suffocating. The No.1 draft pick can seriously play. He will be a big asset for the Eagles. In time, he can help reshape this club. But he cannot do it alone. He needs help. As far as saving Simmo goes, that’s still a long way off. Adam Simpson must show the Eagles are building again. You won’t see miracles, but we might start seeing some more growth in 2024. And hopefully the gap between the best and the worst AFL teams narrows. For the game’s sake, it needs to.

Now I’m not going to defend the WA media and say their coverage wasn’t suffocating, because it was. It was utterly embarrassing the way they carried on

But for a Victorian media outlet to point the finger at the WA media without acknowledging their own levels of stupefying coverage, especially predraft, is peak hypocrisy

One of my hopes going into 2024, and I have several, is that the hysteria surrounding Reid reduces significantly so we can just enjoy watching him play and develop without the ridiculous over the top media

Like many of my hopes, I expect I’ll be left disappointed with this one given the state of modern AFL journalism

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah he created it though and it's up there in terms of significance with Scarlett's toe poke and DeGoey in the goal square.

Just would have thought in a 30 minute summary of the match they'd show it.

It was the defining goal of the game

To not show it is absurd

It’d be like leaving out Leo Barry’s mark or not mentioning Sampi was held

Maynard was the one blocking considering his back to the ball

I know it doesn't mean that much, but at least his premiership medal has an asterisk next to it. Everyone knows he should not have played.

Didn't mind most of the Pies getting a premiership medal last year except for him and JDG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back