Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

We're definitely very vulnerable to transition goals, our forward pressure isn't where it needs to be so opposition teams can move it pretty quickly and easily out of their D50 to their F50 which leaves our defenders hanging out to dry.

A truly elite intercept player like Ridley can help here because they'll read the ball much faster than almost anyone else on the field to (maybe) get in position to intercept it.

We also don't have a great marking presence around the ground - though this is improving - which means our offensive ball movement can be stifled.
Exactly.

I think marking around the ground would improve with Setterfield playing and the rucks applying themselves more (as well as the return of Ridley and Reid). A part of what makes Setterfield good for the side is his ability to take intercept marks. Most of our other mids are not tall enough to influence in the air. Both rucks have demonstrated they can be better in the air than their current output. They average 1-3 marks a game. Gawn sometimes takes 9-10 marks and 4 contested.

A lot will be said about the quality of opposition, but I still maintain that our best performance this year was Adelaide in Adelaide despite drawing against the reigning premiers and comfortably beating Bulldogs. That's the forward half game I want to see more consistently.

It's a shame because we could have easily won a final this year if Ridley and Reid remained fit on top of having at least two elite pressure small forwards. Prime and fit Walla + Fantasia is all it would have taken.

Exactly.

I think marking around the ground would improve with Setterfield playing and the rucks applying themselves more (as well as the return of Ridley and Reid). A part of what makes Setterfield good for the side is his ability to take intercept marks. Most of our other mids are not tall enough to influence in the air. Both rucks have demonstrated they can be better in the air than their current output. They average 1-3 marks a game. Gawn sometimes takes 9-10 marks and 4 contested.

A lot will be said about the quality of opposition, but I still maintain that our best performance this year was Adelaide in Adelaide despite drawing against the reigning premiers and comfortably beating Bulldogs. That's the forward half game I want to see more consistently.

It's a shame because we could have easily won a final this year if Ridley and Reid remained fit on top of having at least two elite pressure small forwards. Prime and fit Walla + Fantasia is all it would have taken.
I am not sure Ridley and Reid help the marking around the ground. Our issue is marking the footy forward of the back half . It is just too inconsistent . Not sure Setterfield helps with being a genuine marking target either. He has a good average for marks per game but is in the below average range when it comes to contested marks. What has made us better is Durham / Caldwell / Merrett have been a lot better at winning contested footy after the marking contest and Jones has been giving a good contest and breaking even if he is not always marking it

I agree with the small forwards only I would have said a Walla and Dev Smith in their prime. One with lightning pace and A grade skill who was hard at it and the other just a tacking machine who could kick goals. Raz would have been okay but he is not a pressure guy.

Still think one of Draper or Bryan has to develop into the ruck that plays 80% ruck . If not then going forward I do not see Wright and two rucks in the side.

I am not sure Ridley and Reid help the marking around the ground. Our issue is marking the footy forward of the back half . It is just too inconsistent . Not sure Setterfield helps with being a genuine marking target either. He has a good average for marks per game but is in the below average range when it comes to contested marks. What has made us better is Durham / Caldwell / Merrett have been a lot better at winning contested footy after the marking contest and Jones has been giving a good contest and breaking even if he is not always marking it

I agree with the small forwards only I would have said a Walla and Dev Smith in their prime. One with lightning pace and A grade skill who was hard at it and the other just a tacking machine who could kick goals. Raz would have been okay but he is not a pressure guy.

Still think one of Draper or Bryan has to develop into the ruck that plays 80% ruck . If not then going forward I do not see Wright and two rucks in the side.
I knew I was forgetting someone. Smith from 2018 is exactly who we need. It's no surprise that our best defence since Bomber's season in 2014 was the second half of 2018 when Smith was at his best.

Exactly.

Nothing about Essendon will suggest we "could've easily won a final" until after we win a final (implying we actually make the finals).

I love the optimism but my goodness, I'm one battle scarred mofo.

Nothing about Essendon will suggest we "could've easily won a final" until after we win a final (implying we actually make the finals).

I love the optimism but my goodness, I'm one battle scarred mofo.
I give you that. You're right. I looked at the current ladder and we're not beating any of the top 5 in finals, which only leaves Carlton and Fremantle. Probably not beating Carlton either and Collingwood are probably making it over Fremantle so we're stuffed really. It was fun while it lasted though.

It was a short but wild ride.
There may have been a sighting or two of some silver cup in that ride.

But then Pweter was concerned for my wellbeing and did this:

hey-hey-you-up

I literally just had to google the colour of a premiership cup. It's been that long Essendon.

Brad can heck right off with his Tarryn Thomas deserves a 15th chance narrative, especially while at the same time participating in a stand against DV this weekend.

Honestly, kept my membership through the whole drugs saga, but if we pick up Thomas then thats my membership gone. People were very against it when it was floated last year but we got "he's learned his lesson, he deserves another chance" and he ****ed up again this year. He's done. He has been through multiple rehabilitation and therapy courses and even way back when he first went through one NM said they weren't happy with his progress and sent him on a second round. If he is still doing that s**t in 2024 then nah, heck him.

Honestly, kept my membership through the whole drugs saga, but if we pick up Thomas then thats my membership gone. People were very against it when it was floated last year but we got "he's learned his lesson, he deserves another chance" and he ****ed up again this year. He's done. He has been through multiple rehabilitation and therapy courses and even way back when he first went through one NM said they weren't happy with his progress and sent him on a second round. If he is still doing that s**t in 2024 then nah, * him.
big agree with this.

would be extremely unimpressed with scott and the club as a whole. very unacceptable stuff

Honestly, kept my membership through the whole drugs saga, but if we pick up Thomas then thats my membership gone. People were very against it when it was floated last year but we got "he's learned his lesson, he deserves another chance" and he ****ed up again this year. He's done. He has been through multiple rehabilitation and therapy courses and even way back when he first went through one NM said they weren't happy with his progress and sent him on a second round. If he is still doing that s**t in 2024 then nah, * him.
Is he still doing that stuff in '24?

Also funny that Drapes talks about Dogs players wanting a trade. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if there were some on our group who would be thinking possible trade because they wouldn't feel comfortable playing alongside Thomas or for a coach who welcomes him back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

February 2024 controversially is actually in 2024
Okay, so if he's still doing that stuff this year since February, you dont want him. Or you dont want him because he did this stuff in February, even if he doesnt do any of this stuff anymore and keeps his nose clean all year. Just so my stupid brain understans where you're at.

Okay, so if he's still doing that stuff this year since February, you dont want him. Or you dont want him because he did this stuff in February, even if he doesnt do any of this stuff anymore and keeps his nose clean all year. Just so my stupid brain understans where you're at.

I didn't want him last year before he was done in again. The fact it was still an issue into this year is just further proof. He's done.

Only way I'd want him at Essendon is after a couple of years of genuine repentance, not a few mealy mouthed statements about how he regrets his actions. s**t like doing that respectful relationships course he flunked, volunteering for an anti DV organisation etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back