List Mgmt. Menzel re-signs for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

That there would be a point of departure from the CS view and every other coach worth his salt.;)
I know. One coach has success with it (Malthouse 2010), and every other coach copies. A few work it out - at a price. see the Bulldogs - and they all want to do it. There has to be a better way, and I also cannot wait until they put big limits on the interchange bench turnovers.

lexicographers consider launguage as things people continue to say.
If I and 50,000 others decided to use "grarp" instead of hello they would recognise it as genuine and official language.
Doesn't mean it's correct or right though does it..
The fact people use that saying incorrectly (not as yiddish humour or sarcasm as I assume you are trying to make out) shows a complete lack of understanding and logic, "intensive purposes" is in the same mold.

Actually it does. But it would need more than 50,000. Grammar (as she is spoke) is as fake as a 3 dollar bill. Invented to keep the lower classes at bay. Created from the carcass of a dead language that doesn't even match English for the purpose. So some insecure useful fools might feel occasionally important. Gramer.

Last edited:
I know. One coach has success with it (Malthouse 2010), and every other coach copies. A few work it out - at a price. see the Bulldogs - and they all want to do it. There has to be a better way, and I also cannot wait until they put big limits on the interchange bench turnovers.
Applying pressure on the ball carrier has been a fundamental coaching requirement almost since Adam was a boy. It's just that its importance has grown along with tackling techniques.

Applying pressure on the ball carrier has been a fundamental coaching requirement almost since Adam was a boy. It's just that its importance has grown along with tackling techniques.
Agree. But with the advent of continuous interchange turnovers over the past decade or so, coaches have upped that to the point where we have a 36 man glorified rugby scrum for large portions of games. Ball up after ball up.

He is a young man of 26. The GFC need to also put a career path in front of him that is not dependent his knees breaking down on him.
The GFC dont need to do anything for him. They pay him to play footy. They have supported his recovery and, with an unbeforeseen level of work from himself, made it back ti play quality AFL footy.

However, i'm not sure the club need to sponsor his career into the future. I guess my issue is the need part.

Id luv it for Menz to get a life after footy with GFC - and think its a great idea - but the reality is the club dont need to do anything else.

If they choose to, and IMO I hope they do as he seems like he's got a great footy mind and a solid character/demeanor that could excel in off the field stuff.

But right now, he needs to play for us. Incentivise his contract this year with triggers for another 50k or so and help him reach them.

GO Catters

Personally I think Dan rested on his laurels this season & after everything he's been through I'm willing to let it slide assuming that no other club wanting him is the reminder he needed that getting back to being an AFL footballer was only the beginning.

Ah ok. Phrasing of the article I read made it seem like noone offered him a contract but makes more sense that he just didn't sign anything.

Depends. Being offered a free agency contract is a formal thing which you'd see AFL trade alerts and media discussion of. What we don't know is the ins and outs of discussion that certainly took place between Menz's management and other clubs. Ultimately the asking price or two year minimum must have been viewed as not worth the risk.

To me thats surprising, but not inexplicable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t think we will be upping the offer now Daz. He has tested the market and has no suitors for a better deal.

Credit to Geelong for getting the offer right and not overpaying.
what should we do with all the spare salary cap space we look like having? we have clearly gone after ablett and another name and will end up most likely with none. that is going to be a spare 700-1million we have right there.

Personally I think Dan rested on his laurels this season & after everything he's been through I'm willing to let it slide assuming that no other club wanting him is the reminder he needed that getting back to being an AFL footballer was only the beginning.
what? he kicked 40 goals which is up on last year. we would of sacked sj and chapman at there peak with all this over the top emphasis on defensive pressure for forwards. both of them sucked at it. but it doesnt matter when the ball is going through the sticks.

what should we do with all the spare salary cap space we look like having? we have clearly gone after ablett and another name and will end up most likely with none. that is going to be a spare 700-1million we have right there.
Ablett is coming. The rest can be banked.

Agree. But with the advent of continuous interchange turnovers over the past decade or so, coaches have upped that to the point where we have a 36 man glorified rugby scrum for large portions of games. Ball up after ball up.
Also skill is becoming less of a feature over grunt and commitment.
Goodbye spectacle....especially in finals.
(Special shout out to umpires)

what? he kicked 40 goals which is up on last year. we would of sacked sj and chapman at there peak with all this over the top emphasis on defensive pressure for forwards. both of them sucked at it. but it doesnt matter when the ball is going through the sticks.
Kicks 40 but the opposition run off him these days and score eazy goals on the quick rebound,if we are to keep him which seem likely then the forward coaching group need to devise and set a plan with the personal in place to negate that.That's the challenge as I see it.

Also skill is becoming less of a feature over grunt and commitment.
Goodbye spectacle....especially in finals.
(Special shout out to umpires)

Not directed at you, but couldn't disagree more. We're just bitter because we were on the receiving end of two finals beltings, and a side we've enjoyed humiliating won the flag. If we'd won we'd be telling the world how awesome and incredible we are, and how it's good for the game.

lexicographers consider launguage as things people continue to say.
If I and 50,000 others decided to use "grarp" instead of hello they would recognise it as genuine and official language.
Doesn't mean it's correct or right though does it..
The fact people use that saying incorrectly (not as yiddish humour or sarcasm as I assume you are trying to make out) shows a complete lack of understanding and logic, "intensive purposes" is in the same mold.

Yeah you don't hear wooden spooners say "we could finish lower"

His lack of tackling was badly exposed this year because we lost all of our pressure forwards to injury.
We need a bit more luck on the injury front next year and put some guys around him that can do it.
That way we can do what he does best... kick goals.

Not directed at you, but couldn't disagree more. We're just bitter because we were on the receiving end of two finals beltings, and a side we've enjoyed humiliating won the flag. If we'd won we'd be telling the world how awesome and incredible we are, and how it's good for the game.
No, not good for the game. Even if we won the premiership I wouldn't be thinking that.

Frontload contracts so we can pay 105 % of the cap in the following year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back