List Mgmt. Menzel re-signs for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's actually one of the things I like most about Menzel, and I wish Hawkins (among others) would become more selfish and back himself to kick goals whenever he's within range, rather than try spot up a team mate.

Perfect example of what I mean at one stage in the JLT game against Essendon - multiple players mucking around with little handballs 15 metres out, until it got to Menzel. One step, snap, goal. He didn't even think about dishing it off.

Obviously I don't want him going the banana with an open team mate in the square, but I like a bit of selfishness in forwards and, in fact, I think nearly all of the best ones have it.
Hawkins learnt his trade when the Cats were at their peak and everyone was doing it, even Stevie J. I don't disagree with you, he is not dishing off to Chappy any more.

Just how committed to Geelong is Dan. He is a UFA at years end , and both SA sides are looking reasonable.

Very.
As in break down in tears talking about how much the club means to him.
Ran into Dan just prior to his return last year and he told me "I'd never leave this club, not for any money".
I reckon he feels he owes the club.

Short answer: very.

Long answer: even more than that.

Very.
As in break down in tears talking about how much the club means to him.
Ran into Dan just prior to his return last year and he told me "I'd never leave this club, not for any money".
I reckon he feels he owes the club.

Nothing says commitment like ink. Hopefully we hear something before the end of the year.

Just how committed to Geelong is Dan. He is a UFA at years end , and both SA sides are looking reasonable.
I dont see it TBH..

After all the work the both he and GFC put into each other, I dont see the partnership breaking.

I get the lack of duration in contract commitment - and thats fair - but outside of that I can't see any issues. Id say it GFC or nothing for him at this point.

GO Catters

It would be worth making into a movie if we could just snag a premiership.
I don't think any league footballer has made it back from 4 reco's, let alone succeeded.
I don't know of too many professional athletes in any sport around the world who have done it.

Most come back from one and succeed (with less output however). Some come back from two but not sure about four.

I think David Schwartz had a few...though I am not sure of the impact on his output, or the difference in stats before then after his final reconstruction.

Whatever...Menzel's recovery and output is a marvel...

Nothing says commitment like ink. Hopefully we hear something before the end of the year.
the one thing that might work against him is not being dealt with as a #1 priority - and by that I mean being a shorter contract year over year he might not get an offer as early as say one for a longer term deal.

eg - Hawkins gets a 5 year deal and gets sorted out first accordingly.
Menzel gets a 1+1 deal and gets sorted out later.

And due to his history, IMO, that wont change. It does not mean he's not valauble - he clearly is - but he gets pushed back down the order a bit due to his history.

GO Catters

It was discussed at the end of last year when he was out of contract - got a 1 year deal to assess how he goes, then potentially a longer term one can get sorted at the end of the season. Both parties want it to happen.

No doubt he goes very hard and has pace to burn
In terms of defending I think he's wary of a sudden direction change and looks to corral where possible , particularly when his opponent isn't at tackling distance
I may be wrong but that's what I've observed from the 2 games I've seen him live in the last 12 months
He's an absolute gun who backs himself and has vice like hands , rare talent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure how much longer Menzel will want to keep playing football. He's always going to be susceptible to injury and requires a modified program. He's extremely valuable to us because we have Menzel and then nothing above a fringe player in terms of medium forwards. I'd offer him three more years, and I could understand him pulling the pin after that.

He's much more than a steady operator though, borderline elite medium forward IMO.

I said to a mate on Saturday night that imagine if this bloke hadn't have injured his knee 4 times, he'd be possibly the best player in the Comp and that's not an overreaction.

He's starting to take strong contested marks and he's as skilful as anyone on the ground and close to goal. 27 goals this year??? Off the back of so long out of the game... Phenomenal.

We really lack a valuable CHF otherwise he and Kersten could become the best flanker combination in the game.
We have a CHF Hawkins and that's where he should stay, Menzel and our small forwards should stay deep. If that happens then Menz could kick 40+ goals this season and really cause headaches for the opposition.

Daniel wouldn't leave imo, they backed him to the hilt and stood by him. Do t see him turning his back on that and throwing it back in the clubs face.

Just super impressive, to think of what he has missed out on and now what he is doing...
I don't think I've ever wanted a player to have success more than him

Not that Scott Thompson is a world beater but just think of the damage Menz could do on the 3rd best defender!

I get the feeling he's itching to get up the ground a bit more but is just too valuable for us close to goal.

His first 2 games this year the signs are there he is moving up from steady operator.

Vital goals the first 2 weeks and his movement has improved alot on last year (You can see the increased confidence in his body).

Also think he was missed big time in last year preliminary final.

His first 2 games this year the signs are there he is moving up from steady operator.

Vital goals the first 2 weeks and his movement has improved alot on last year (You can see the increased confidence in his body).

Also think he was missed big time in last year preliminary final.

He even said in the post game interview that he's much more confident in his body and he's feeling better overall with thing than thus time last year and that he's running out games better - and I think we are seeing that. The question I guess now is how high can he go??

GO Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back