Michael Slater dumped from Channel 7 commentary team

Remove this Banner Ad

Magistrate Michelle Goodwin agreed to grant Slater bail on the condition he live at his sister’s place on effective house arrest and not leave until the hospital bed was made available to him. (Wednesday)

wondering what the bail fee was ?

Right, so aboriginal people get bail less often, but commit 4 times as many murders, 10 times as many robberies and 12 times as many grand theft autos?

It’s almost as if, aboriginal people get less bail because they commit more serious crimes? Has that ever crossed your brilliant mind? Or does it not fit your narrative?

Or…is it possible that Aboriginal people are way more likely to be targeted by police and a justice system that is fundamentally racist? That’s actually what evidence and reality and mountains of research suggest. Way more poor people go to jail than rich people too, so yeah: I guess rich people just commit less crime!! It’s not about access and connections and the structures of a system, rich white people are just better behaved, that’s how it works. Your mind is so brilliant it shines like a diamond.

Perpetrators of strangulation are 10x more likely to end up killing their partner in the future than other DV assaults. It’s a higher predictor of future lethal violence than raping a domestic partner or having a gun in the house. (Source from USA but there’s no outward reason it would change here: https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/jr000250e.pdf)

The alcohol & mental health card has been played too many times with this man. Rehabilitation facilities are bandied about. And yet he fails to improve his behaviour. Time and time again. He is a serial offender.

To protect a woman from dying, he needs serious sentencing. This is not a “poor Slater” scenario, this is a woman’s life at risk.

Perpetrators of strangulation are 10x more likely to end up killing their partner in the future than other DV assaults. It’s a higher predictor of future lethal violence than raping a domestic partner or having a gun in the house. (Source from USA but there’s no outward reason it would change here: https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/jr000250e.pdf)

The alcohol & mental health card has been played too many times with this man. Rehabilitation facilities are bandied about. And yet he fails to improve his behaviour. Time and time again. He is a serial offender.

To protect a woman from dying, he needs serious sentencing. This is not a “poor Slater” scenario, this is a woman’s life at risk.
He has been charged 11 times since 2021 through different breaches of AVO to stalking and intimidation.

If the Judge grants him bail tomorrow they are deadset taking the piss.

Lock him up and throw away the key weather it's in jail or an institution he is a threat to society.

Just because he represented our country and was a decent batsman doesn't give him a leave pass.

He has had enough chances time to actually be punished.

Bail denied, thankfully. Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of his capacity to continue the behaviours and remain a threat to others, not before time.

I get that he may want a job back with channel 7, but this is kind of an extreme way of showing Kerry Stokes he has the right character for his station.

Last edited:
Further:
He has been charged 11 times since 2021 through different breaches of AVO to stalking and intimidation.

If the Judge grants him bail tomorrow they are deadset taking the piss.

Lock him up and throw away the key weather it's in jail or an institution he is a threat to society.

Just because he represented our country and was a decent batsman doesn't give him a leave pass.

He has had enough chances time to actually be punished.

Would love mandatory sentencing and bail denied for any strangulation case. It’s just so dangerous - you don’t do it unless you want to kill or you don’t care if you do

Hopefully some jail time for him to have a think about why he's there.
If Cousins can get better so can Michael.

Maybe my memory is bad but I don't remember reading Cousins behaviour toward his ex's went anywhere beyond threats and stalking (which are obvs terrible).

Slater has gone well beyond that, assaulting multiple people and strangling on top of a ton of other stuff.

Maybe my memory is bad but I don't remember reading Cousins behaviour toward his ex's went anywhere beyond threats and stalking (which are obvs terrible).

Slater has gone well beyond that, assaulting multiple people and strangling on top of a ton of other stuff.

Mistaken.
I'm sure some of Ben's victims aren't all that comfortable with him being on TV.

By now, if it were you, me or the bloke down the street we'd be staring at a barred window. Slats obviously has friends in high places who are bankrolling his case.

But, in turn, this would mean he also has access to the best mental health treatment that me, you and the bloke down the street could not get.

It is obviously not working. For the sake of the poor woman who is on the end of his vile behaviour it is time Slats spent some time off the streets. Mostly for her sake, but it may be the wake-up call this abusive prick requires.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His always had mental health issues, he went off the rails in his 30s as well and battled it for years before coming good and joining the 9 commentary team.

His always had mental health issues, he went off the rails in his 30s as well and battled it for years before coming good and joining the 9 commentary team.
Got kissed on the d**k a bit too much in Wagga - similar to Carey - which played havoc with what he thought he was entitled to get away with based on what I’ve heard from a couple of cricket mates who are from that area, and he’s never quite been able to deal with it once he was pulled back to reality

I hope he can sort himself out

Throw the book at the campaigner.

This is not his first rodeo here, and these are not technical breaches of a VRO. They're serious charges.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back