Michael Voss Sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this is a bit of a nudge to a few other coaches that teams haven't improved overly that much in the last few seasons ;)

Carrying on like a pack of sooks on the Lions board, spent the last 5 years watching rubbish football, obviously upset they dont get to watch another 5.

You only say that cos you've been banned from there for posting like a flog. Which you are still doing evidently.

Are you including the financial side of things as well? Fevola and the rest of your trades crippled your club purely from a financial side of things, and Brisbane is still paying for it till this day needing money from the AFL.

Brisbane overpaid for Fevola in terms of draft picks, players and maybe salary, but not the other experienced players they brought in. Brisbane would have struggled financially anyway, given the entry of the Gold Coast into the competition for 2010 and the increased competition for sponsors and other sources of revenue.

Like any other club they had to pay a minimum of 95% of the salary cap. In 2010 that was $7.95 million per club. So the Lions would have had to pay at least $7,552,500 of the cap that year anyway. I doubt an extra $397,500 for Fevola or other players would have crippled the Lions. In any case, whatever went to Fevola in his contract was freed up by Michael Voss' contract finally being paid out.

seems a bit strange to do it after the lions have shown some much improved signs over the last couple of months... probably thought he had done enough to earn another season in charge, but no finals next year would've been done and dusted, and despite the improvement i still can't see them being in the best 8 teams next year either (although a lot changes from year to year).... of course they may also have someone lined up, and given the season is still running it would be unfair to name that guy now (assuming he is a current coach).

it is one of the issues when you bring a club champion on board as coach. the fans find it very hard to separate the champion player from the coach. apparently the president (?) copped loads of flak at a charity function yesterday, but ultimately if michael voss wasn't a brisbane club legend he would've been given the ass 2 years ago (at least). the obvious comparisons to another club don't need to be said.

Have to think there is someone ready to go and they had to make a move. otherwise wouldn't you let Vossy see out the last 3 weeks and make a dignified exit. he could retire citing "family reasons" whatever. there seems no reason to make this move unless someone else is signed up and ready to go (and an offer he couldn't refuse from Melbourne and the AFL was coming)

Roos with his Fitzroy connections and his credentials seems like the perfect fit if the AFL as a business was writing the script, what a romantic notion but I just don't understand the timing?

if they had someone lined up who wasn't a current coach, would they not just announce them straight away. seems much more practical and a way of allaying fans?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to think there is someone ready to go and they had to make a move. otherwise wouldn't you let Vossy see out the last 3 weeks and make a dignified exit.

Voss was told by the Lions board that his contract wouldn't be extended beyond this season.

It was Voss who chose to stand down as Lions' coach immediately.

Voss was told by the Lions board that his contract wouldn't be extended beyond this season.

It was Voss who chose to stand down as Lions' coach immediately.
If this is true it speaks volumes about Voss as a man and his connection with the playing group no wonder his contract wasn't going to be extended.

haha u mad your hero Voss has been given the ass?

I am actually. It saddens me that people that call themselves supporters can dance on the grave of a club legend. Essendon fans may be slightly delusional, but at least that delusion is coming from loyalty to their favourite son. People like you are ones who don't buy a membership or turn up to games unless we're winning flags.

So glad we do not have to tolerate you on our board anymore.

Poor decision to let him go, any new coach wont be able to increase the rate of improvement in the playing group, he was developing the young list well, not much else he could do. I just hope the powers that be expected a top 8 finish based on the NAB Cup finals and had that play part in their decision.

If this is true it speaks volumes about Voss as a man and his connection with the playing group no wonder his contract wasn't going to be extended.

Cracked the shits and walked out. He knew what the criteria was at the start of the season and he didn't meet them. Simple. First time in a long time the board acted with Clubs best interest at hand, not Michael Voss'

Actually I think Voss would be perfect for Melbourne. He has learnt from his mistakes and I believe after the stuff up he went the right way in a rebuild at the lions. Would be good for both

Remove this Banner Ad

Back