Welcome Michael Voss - The Real Boss!

Remove this Banner Ad

Look I think Weiters should be the captain, but what an inspiring story it would be if Cripps fought hard and got back to his best, and we see Voss and crippa hold the cup up together. Can imagine it already
I'll bet that the person he impacts most (if its at all possible) is Walsh. Fourth in the Brownlow at 21 and a little bull of a player, I think Vossy will propel him into greatness.

How awesome are these pics

FAAZB8rVEAATEMr
With pictures like these they just put a smile to my face...

This is such a big off season, it's not just the senior coach change - we have a massive overhaul and now we have a united front with lots of people who want to make CFC great again.

A new President - Sayers
A new CEO - Cook
A new Football Director - Williams
... and now a new Senior Coach - Voss

What's not to like? :D

Carlton need to be patient and not being caught by perception

Coaching records

Clarkson-58% 4 flags

Hardwick 56% 3 flags

Chris Scott 72% 1 flag

Longmire 63% 1 flag

Beveridge 57% 1 flag (could be 2 sat night)

that says to me if you have an excellent coaching record doesn’t mean you will win a lot of flags

History says in the last 15 years 55-60% is pretty successful

I like many upon hearing the name Voss as favourite early this week felt underwhelmed.
The perception that I and many other AFL supporters held of Voss would be that of a failed coach from his time at Brisbane and has been rejected from multiple senior coach applications since. So how good could he really be?

However upon hearing Voss speak yesterday in all of these interviews, in particular the one from 3aw, not only does he communicate well but his principles, strategy and approach really do suggest he has the right mindset, attitude and ability to maximise the potential of our playing group and set the right structures in place for a team to succeed in finals footy. Whilst talk is cheap, Voss seems like he knows what he needs to do and how to get there, now we need to see him and the club put it into action over the next few years. Get the right assistants around him with Cook and we’ll hopefully be on our way.

The other factor is that Voss may not be the panel’s first choice or our first choice as supporters. It was evidently Clarkson and potentially some others as the supporters’ preference. That’s all good and well but it’s not always the first choice that is the best, look at Malthouse or Pagan for example. I bet Beveridge or Clarkson weren’t an obvious choice to be senior coaches at the time they earned their first roles. In the 2015 draft, McKay was supposedly the third best key forward behind Schache and Weideman. There’s countless examples in NFL quarterbacks (Brady, Rodgers, Wilson) where the best go late and early picks bust. Clarkson was never available despite our best attempts and we selected Voss as the next best.

Voss also falls into a special and rare case of the failed senior coaches as none have really followed a similar career path in my opinion:
-Champion captain/player
-Senior role with insufficient experience or support. Arguably set up to fail.
-7 years as a senior assistant with a relatively successful club working on his deficiencies, learning new approaches, relationship building and gathering IP

Considering the amount of checks, references and work being done behind the scenes by the panel including the likes of Cook and Parkin, I’m backing Voss to be our man.

A Brownlow medallist who couldn’t even beat a drug cheat

If he as learnt from his mistakes last time the he should be much better. You learn more from ******* up than just getting it right first go, so let’s hope it’s a lot better

on a side note, Crazy Vossy brought in heaps of old talent to try and top up for a flag. Clarkson did the same to Hawthorn, it just at the Lions Mathews has the flags and hope off before the end.

Don't care who the coach is really, I'm not that invested in who they decide to prop up in front of the microphones.
The 3 year contract is to get him in the door, before he starts getting pushed out in 1.5 years if things aren't looking so hot. Good luck.

Don't care who the coach is really, I'm not that invested in who they decide to prop up in front of the microphones.
The 3 year contract is to get him in the door, before he starts getting pushed out in 1.5 years if things aren't looking so hot. Good luck.
Thank you for your contribution to the Welcome to our new coach thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton need to be patient and not being caught by perception

Coaching records

Clarkson-58% 4 flags

Hardwick 56% 3 flags

Chris Scott 72% 1 flag

Longmire 63% 1 flag

Beveridge 57% 1 flag (could be 2 sat night)

that says to me if you have an excellent coaching record doesn’t mean you will win a lot of flags

History says in the last 15 years 55-60% is pretty successful

I'm surprised that Beveridge is so low

I guess both GFs have been from outside the 4

It'd be absolutely hilarious if we win a flag under his watch, recruited the year after Nathan Buckley got the sack at Collingwood due to failing to win a flag under his watch.
hird? nup...buckley? nup...voss? oh yeah..........

This is it, I can feel it. This guy commands respect. If anyone doubts him he could put on a video and say check this out you soft utensils!

Ps, I love that he played 289 games. Shows the difference between a champion and someone who puts themselves first.

New standards and culture on the way I feel.

*I'm sorry, I know the above will ruffle a few feathers, but how can you look back objectively over the past 20 years and say we played with heart and high standards?

Be interested now to see if things change form here. What the pattern has been last decade with our coaches has been a good first year, which is their best, then gets worse from there until the players stopped working hard for them and they are sacked. Best years with Malthouse, Bolton and Teague were the first, the latter's case the 6-5 finish then got worse, just less worse with Teague. Only exception to that was Ratten, who tended to keep getting better for a few years.

I like many upon hearing the name Voss as favourite early this week felt underwhelmed.
The perception that I and many other AFL supporters held of Voss would be that of a failed coach from his time at Brisbane and has been rejected from multiple senior coach applications since. So how good could he really be?

However upon hearing Voss speak yesterday in all of these interviews, in particular the one from 3aw, not only does he communicate well but his principles, strategy and approach really do suggest he has the right mindset, attitude and ability to maximise the potential of our playing group and set the right structures in place for a team to succeed in finals footy. Whilst talk is cheap, Voss seems like he knows what he needs to do and how to get there, now we need to see him and the club put it into action over the next few years. Get the right assistants around him with Cook and we’ll hopefully be on our way.

The other factor is that Voss may not be the panel’s first choice or our first choice as supporters. It was evidently Clarkson and potentially some others as the supporters’ preference. That’s all good and well but it’s not always the first choice that is the best, look at Malthouse or Pagan for example. I bet Beveridge or Clarkson weren’t an obvious choice to be senior coaches at the time they earned their first roles. In the 2015 draft, McKay was supposedly the third best key forward behind Schache and Weideman. There’s countless examples in NFL quarterbacks (Brady, Rodgers, Wilson) where the best go late and early picks bust. Clarkson was never available despite our best attempts and we selected Voss as the next best.

Voss also falls into a special and rare case of the failed senior coaches as none have really followed a similar career path in my opinion:
-Champion captain/player
-Senior role with insufficient experience or support. Arguably set up to fail.
-7 years as a senior assistant with a relatively successful club working on his deficiencies, learning new approaches, relationship building and gathering IP

Considering the amount of checks, references and work being done behind the scenes by the panel including the likes of Cook and Parkin, I’m backing Voss to be our man.

This saved me some typing. Fully agree. I was slow to fully take to Voss being appointed but he has convinced me with his interviews. Hoping we'll see him speak freely and be true to himself.

I think it's pretty obvious that Voss pulled off a Bradbury to get over the line, and as much as people may like to think otherwise, chances are that if any of Clarkson, Lyon, B/C Scott, Bucks or Pyke were willing, then they would have got the gig. From my point of view, I'd prefer Voss over all but Clarkson, Pyke and Bucks from that group, and he'd probably be reasonably close to the latter two, so I'm pretty happy with it. Very happy to have avoided Lyon and the Scotts.

Voss sounds far more articulate these days than in his younger coaching years, which is pleasing. He genuinely used to come across as a bit short on the old IQ scale, imo.

I like the fact that he has stuck at it and applied for the gig several times. I like that he was a Carlton supporter growing up, and most importantly, I like that he has worked hard on his people skills and relationship-building skills - in my view, these are the most important elements for any coach. It's all about communication - leading, building trust in each other and the direction and getting everyone to give everything they've got for that purpose; creating the right environment and culture, which in my view, is a work hard, play hard environment. He's aware that the culture needs improving, which is great. In some ways, it seems like it can't be difficult to improve us, given that we seem to have tolerated some very poor standards. On the flip side, maybe it's a massive challenge and that's why DT couldn't get there. Time will tell.

Finally, I absolutely loved Voss as a player and celebrated with the Lions boys after the 2001 flag, when they knocked off the Bombers. Chatted to quite a few of them that night, including Voss and the Scott brothers. They all thought I was a mad Lions fan (I looked the part), but really, I was just a mad anti-Bombers fan :)

EDIT: Still holding out hope that we might convince Hodge to leave relaxed, sunny Queensland! Two of the all-time great leaders. Very aware that it's highly unlikely.

Last edited:
This saved me some typing. Fully agree. I was slow to fully take to Voss being appointed but he has convinced me with his interviews. Hoping we'll see him speak freely and be true to himself.

They all sound good in their initial interviews. Carlton just grind them down until they just talk in the same clichés when they are at a loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back