Welcome Michael Voss - The Real Boss!

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember when Voss the Boss slayed Essington in the 2001 Grand Final than doubled up in the next 2 years over The Filth ?

If he doesn't have Navy Blue blood running through his veins, I will go He.

Gonna watch those Lions flags on Kayo this weekend (got nothing else to do plus no Premier League on)

I'm Excited for 2022 and beyond, Big Kev style

I 'member!

Blown away by how well he's spoken so far, seems a different person to the one I (mis?)remembered from Brisbane. The talk about forming a group identity in particular is great to hear.
That was nearly 10 years ago tbf, I'm sure we've all changed in 10 years.

I was fortunate enough to have been around the Lions from 99-02 and Vossy is probably one of the most inspirational leaders I've seen. He lead by example and also direction which is rare.

If he had a major fault it was that he struggled a bit with teammates/players that weren't as driven as he was, he just couldn't seem to fathom that some players didn't want it as bad as he did and he had little tolerance for it. I'm sure some of that crept into his coaching too.

10yrs on I expect he's learnt a bit. I certainly feel like we'll have a far more competitive/driven team this coming season at least.

If interested, watch the AFL ondemand doco on Leigh Matthews. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I watched the Brisbane dynasty program. Akermanis seemed like he was auditioning for a movie, was very weird.😂

I was fortunate enough to have been around the Lions from 99-02 and Vossy is probably one of the most inspirational leaders I've seen. He lead by example and also direction which is rare.

If he had a major fault it was that he struggled a bit with teammates/players that weren't as driven as he was, he just couldn't seem to fathom that some players didn't want it as bad as he did and he had little tolerance for it. I'm sure some of that crept into his coaching too.

10yrs on I expect he's learnt a bit. I certainly feel like we'll have a far more competitive/driven team this coming season at least.
This gives me more confidence than not TBH. One thing we can be sure of, is no players will get away with less than total effort. And shouldn't be any tail wagging the dog.

Great insight, thanks for sharing! I can totally see that being a trait of his, from the limited viewing of media clips like those above.

My insight is far more casual in nature, but potentially equally revealing - I was at a past AFL player's 40th in Adelaide a few years ago, Vossy and some of the other Port Adelaide coaching crew were there. I have never been involved in footy in any way (proper football is my game, at a low competitive level), so didn't have the yarns to share like the rest of the attendees did (we're talking incredible stories of preseason shame and premiership glory).

Vossy was just a legend. He was so laid back with thongs and baggy jeans on, but quietly commanded the attention and respect of everyone around - in the most genuine and good natured way possible. He wasn't fixated on footy, and was able to cover a lot of conversational ground in a balanced way - giving others space to talk, listening and being present, then contributing meaningfully and with exuberance. Just a really engaging person in real life.

IMO the panel made a fantastic choice. I think the players will run through walls for him from very early in the piece, and will continue to do so provided he holds true to the lessons he suggests he has learned from his time away from the senior gig.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Voss. However, the playing group were extremely excited about Bolton when he first started. The players waxed lyrical about Teague when he took the reigns.

I'm hoping the players' excitement is more on reflection on what they understand now from past experience and what they believe they perceive was missing beforehand.

I'm more confident that administration under Cook will help navigate the team professionally as a collective, particularly during the testing times that will inevitably happen.

Great insight, thanks for sharing! I can totally see that being a trait of his, from the limited viewing of media clips like those above.

My insight is far more casual in nature, but potentially equally revealing - I was at a past AFL player's 40th in Adelaide a few years ago, Vossy and some of the other Port Adelaide coaching crew were there. I have never been involved in footy in any way (proper football is my game, at a low competitive level), so didn't have the yarns to share like the rest of the attendees did (we're talking incredible stories of preseason shame and premiership glory).

Vossy was just a legend. He was so laid back with thongs and baggy jeans on, but quietly commanded the attention and respect of everyone around - in the most genuine and good natured way possible. He wasn't fixated on footy, and was able to cover a lot of conversational ground in a balanced way - giving others space to talk, listening and being present, then contributing meaningfully and with exuberance. Just a really engaging person in real life.

IMO the panel made a fantastic choice. I think the players will run through walls for him from very early in the piece, and will continue to do so provided he holds true to the lessons he suggests he has learned from his time away from the senior gig.
Thongs and baggy jeans... :O

I'm cautiously optimistic about Voss. However, the playing group were extremely excited about Bolton when he first started. The players waxed lyrical about Teague when he took the reigns.

I'm hoping the players' excitement is more on reflection on what they understand now from past experience and what they believe they perceive was missing beforehand.

I'm more confident that administration under Cook will help navigate the team professionally as a collective, particularly during the testing times that will inevitably happen.
excellent comment

seriously asking, why didn't Carlton sound out Ross Lyon as a Director of Coaching or Senior Assistant after Voss was appointed?
Surely he would add tremendous insight, experience and help to a still relatively inexperienced coach (at senior level)?
Why does Carlton always let these people go to other clubs?
Why's he looking likely to go to Geelong and not the navy blues?!?!?!?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

seriously asking, why didn't Carlton sound out Ross Lyon as a Director of Coaching or Senior Assistant after Voss was appointed?
Surely he would add tremendous insight, experience and help to a still relatively inexperienced coach (at senior level)?
Why does Carlton always let these people go to other clubs?
Why's he looking likely to go to Geelong and not the navy blues?!?!?!?

Who says we didn't? Maybe Ross wasn't interested after we overlooked him for Voss? The help that Voss has got is plenty, good assistants around him, something Teague didn't have.

New Coach now getting into very very early parts of pre-season.
Thinking ahead to round one tried to pencil in some type of team he might have against Richmond assuming Docherty and Marchbank still recovering and not ready for round one. Cunningham I pencil in at half forward but I not sure if he is in same position as Marchy and might be back later.

Plowman Lewis Young A Saad
Z Williams Weitering Kemp
Cerra Stocker O'Brien
Cunningham H McKay J Silvagni
J Martin C Curnow J Motlop
Pittonet P Cripps S Walsh

Bench: Dow, TDK, Fisher, M Kennedy

Emergencies: E Curnow (medical sub), Newman, C Durdin, M McGovern

I feel like I have forgotten someone too but will only work that out once I look over our full list.

Good luck Vossy. Think we can get a win in round one to start off on a decent footing into an interesting season where game plan and roles
will change and probably the team will find it's feet more in later half of season than the first half.

Edit: I found that someone I forgot. Josh Honey will probably be half forward and Cunners probably not due back until a month or two into the season anyway.
oops, also forgot free agent Hewitt from Swans. Probably O'Brien or Kennedy miss out and become emergency or we only go with one ruck in the 22 and TDK tries to do 99% of rucking himself, which risky against 30 year old rucks in a lot of teams.

Last edited:
New Coach now getting into very very early parts of pre-season.
Thinking ahead to round one tried to pencil in some type of team he might have against Richmond assuming Docherty and Marchbank still recovering and not ready for round one. Cunningham I pencil in at half forward but I not sure if he is in same position as Marchy and might be back later.

I dont think we have that info/assessment yet do we? Doc back training in dec. Marchbank SHOULD be right to go

100% agree and I think cook will play an important role in making sure player/coach relationships don’t get too out of hand that we need to look for another replacement in a couple of years.

Unless Voss is a disaster and I doubt he will be, we need to stick with him for the long haul. At least 8 years. Part of success is getting the players to do what they don't want to do and that's not going to happen if they know the coach could go. Voss wants you to do something, don't like it? Too bad, he's not going anywhere.

One of the things Teague would have had against him and all our coaches in their last season. This is one of the penny's that needs to drop at Carlton that hasn't for the last 20 years. This is one of the problems with changing the coach all the time. The players can't be pushed hard enough if they know the coach will get the flick.

All coaches if they are any good are going to push players further than they want to go, demand they do things they don't want to do and confront them and make them uncomfortable at times. This works at good clubs but doesn't work at Carlton because of how some of our players have been developed and them knowing that they can get away with being sub par but not the coach.

Unless Voss is a disaster and I doubt he will be, we need to stick with him for the long haul. At least 8 years. Part of success is getting the players to do what they don't want to do and that's not going to happen if they know the coach could go. Voss wants you to do something, don't like it? Too bad, he's not going anywhere.

One of the things Teague would have had against him and all our coaches in their last season. This is one of the penny's that needs to drop at Carlton that hasn't for the last 20 years. This is one of the problems with changing the coach all the time. The players can't be pushed hard enough if they know the coach will get the flick.

All coaches if they are any good are going to push players further than they want to go, demand they do things they don't want to do and confront them and make them uncomfortable at times. This works at good clubs but doesn't work at Carlton because of how some of our players have been developed and them knowing that they can get away with being sub par but not the coach.
No truer words at Carlton.

All good stuff...but you cant have a coach that doesn't perform thinking he is eternally safe either. Its a tough gig and a real conundrum for a club that has long forgotten what success is.
Yes they have to back him in, but he has to do something we haven't seen in 25 years. Instill a winning attitude and expectation instead of a hopeful one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back