Player Watch Mid-Season Pick #13 (2021) - Jed McEntee

Remove this Banner Ad

One disposal and one tackle against the worst team in the competition in 58% gametime. Have the Jedheads proven us all wrong yet?

Hope his head is okay. Also hope he comes back through the SANFL and doesn't leave.
One disposal while playing for the team that was racking up touches for fun - every non-sub had double digit possessions.

He's a permanent forward and couldn't manage a single score in a team that had about 25 scoring shots by the time he was subbed off.

It's just mind-blowing.

I cannot think of a player like McEntee.

Legitimately no one knows what he actually does on the footy field. Our only source of information is from the club telling us that he does all this off ball work that no one can see.

It's bizarre. You could actually see what Sam Gray and Jake Neade try to do. With McEntee to this day I have no freaking clue.

after a somewhat promising pre season, that was his worst ever performance. It's not that he did anything wrong, he just literally did nothing for 2.5 quarters.

Ah good old Jed.

I can absolutely see why he's in the team - and his defensive pressure and running does create chances for others.

But when he has games like the Eagles game, where he just doesn't do anything with the ball, it makes you wonder - does that level of pressure dictate a position in the side?

In preseason, he looked great, so certainly earnt his place in the side. And I think just from an expectation point of view, any player that gets injured/concussed/whatever whilst doing a brave act comes straight back into the side for me.

He's not really keeping anyone else out of the side, which is the other key thing for me. I like Frank, but he seems to run out of steam, which is one of McEntee's biggest strengths.

Ah good old Jed.

I can absolutely see why he's in the team - and his defensive pressure and running does create chances for others.

But when he has games like the Eagles game, where he just doesn't do anything with the ball, it makes you wonder - does that level of pressure dictate a position in the side?

In preseason, he looked great, so certainly earnt his place in the side. And I think just from an expectation point of view, any player that gets injured/concussed/whatever whilst doing a brave act comes straight back into the side for me.

He's not really keeping anyone else out of the side, which is the other key thing for me. I like Frank, but he seems to run out of steam, which is one of McEntee's biggest strengths.
I agree, that is the problem. IMO, we should be looking at someone like Anasta. He has all of MeEntee's pressure game, but looks to have more scoring potential, with a way higher ceiling. It would also bring so much excitement to the team and supporters!

Jake Neade had a similar run of games where he wasn't having an impact but I feel like I could always remember seeing Jake Neade out there doing his best and trying to impose himself. I can't even remember what number Jed wears. Hope his noggin is okay but he needs to build some confidence in the SANFL.

I cannot think of a player like McEntee.

Legitimately no one knows what he actually does on the footy field. Our only source of information is from the club telling us that he does all this off ball work that no one can see.

It's bizarre. You could actually see what Sam Gray and Jake Neade try to do. With McEntee to this day I have no freaking clue.
Perceived Pressure Acts

There is zero McEntee can do that MG can't do better
That's just daft - MG cannot do the running that McEntee does. He chases everything and that puts pressure on opposition players. It won't count as a stat, and you may argue about the effectiveness/value of his running - but the coaching unit clearly feel it's valuable.

Considering we scored with 40/57 of our inside 50 entries, it's probably not the best game to see his effectiveness.

Like I said, i'm not convinced his pressure and running game is enough to warrant a place in the side, but to suggest MG can do that is just silly.

Regardless of what may be the longer term answer - I don't think you can drop a player coming off the back of an injury that was a result of a courageous effort. It sends the wrong message to those fighting for their place in the side. I'd be making it very clear that if you get injured doing something brave, you come straight back in when you're ready. It doesn't guarantee you a place in the team beyond that, but you get your spot back - no questions asked.

That's just daft - MG cannot do the running that McEntee does. He chases everything and that puts pressure on opposition players. It won't count as a stat, and you may argue about the effectiveness/value of his running - but the coaching unit clearly feel it's valuable.

Considering we scored with 40/57 of our inside 50 entries, it's probably not the best game to see his effectiveness.

Like I said, i'm not convinced his pressure and running game is enough to warrant a place in the side, but to suggest MG can do that is just silly.

Regardless of what may be the longer term answer - I don't think you can drop a player coming off the back of an injury that was a result of a courageous effort. It sends the wrong message to those fighting for their place in the side. I'd be making it very clear that if you get injured doing something brave, you come straight back in when you're ready. It doesn't guarantee you a place in the team beyond that, but you get your spot back - no questions asked.

I'm pretty confident that MG can chase and pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty confident that MG can chase and pressure.
Regardless of anything to do with McEntee, I'd love MG to reach his potential, but still have zero confidence he can kick straight under pressure. Then again, neither can Dixon, Marshall or Finlayson at the moment, so **** it.

The point is that any AFL player with a reasonable amount of aerobic fitness can do it.
Its the absolute bare minimum.
The question is - what else can he do?
That's like saying any AFL player can kick a football. Yes, they can all kick a footy, but there is differing levels.

To be very very clear - I'm not justifying his spot in the team, but the coaching staff obviously value his pressure game. I completely agree that MG brings a truckload of extra benefits over McEntee, but it's a call by the coaches that they need a pressure forward over a utility type forward.

If I want someone to chase down every ball and opposition player, I'll be picking McEntee over MG. Whether you value that skill over what MG brings is a different discussion, and i'd likely agree with you.

Its all about the perceived pressure acts people

actual stats and goals dont matter

Kicked our second goal last week from a nice snap and was entirely responsible for the creation of the third with a tackle (which was a clear holding the ball and should've resulted in his second goal, but Evans kicked it anyway).

Kicked our second goal last week from a nice snap and was entirely responsible for the creation of the third with a tackle (which was a clear holding the ball and should've resulted in his second goal, but Evans kicked it anyway).
Yep i do remember that. First goal was a bit fortuitous being in a good spot, second goal was a good bit of work i admit

After that i forgot he was out there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back