Vintage Bay Mofra's Bottom 50 for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Player #5 - Ryan Griffen

r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Pictured: Ryan was honoured to play in the traditional AFL 'cyclops round'

Ryan Griffen is a GWS player from country SA with eyes so close together that there just has to be some sort of family tree convergence in his recent family history.

Tired of playing in losing preliminary finals, Ryan famously requested a trade to the GWS Giants where he has since played in two more losing preliminary finals while his departure led the Bulldogs to snap a 7-game losing preliminary finals streak, ironically against the GWS Giants. The football gods are either vindictive bastards or divine poets - perhaps both.

Anyway Ryan was a former pick #3 who left the Melbourne football bubble and just never quite lived up to expectations. This year he continued the slide from team champion to 'icing on the cake' to 'symptomatic of GWS' list management blunders' as they now face the prospect of of annually losing their developed guns like Adams, Treloar and Shiel and replacing them with 'past their best' players such as Delideo, Stevie J and of course good ol' Ryan. The gaping chasm between the hope in which he arrived at GWS and what actually occurred is so great that if his teammates were smart enough they'd nickname him Aung San Suu Kyi.

Ryan spent far more time forward this year as he just can't run like he used to so was down in almost every statistical measure, although he did manage a goal per game. He saved arguably his worst performance for the year in his one final which GWS lost (they played without him the week beforehand and won, although that was against a depleted Swans unit). He looked rusty and reactive and was soundly beaten by Collingwood's third string defence. Collingwood actually had some injuries towards the back of last year - you'd think the media or Collingwood fans here would have mentioned it but it seemed to fly completely under he radar.
All in all he had 8 disposals, kicked one goal and was largely unsighted in a sad end to a career that burned so brightly for many, many years. His years at GWS are, in retrospect, a bigger waste of time than every single second spent on 'revamping' AFLX.

He will of course be more known for cutting and running and going pig-hunting when things got a bit hard at his former club which I can assure you in 2014 meant he didn't actually have to leave the (pre-gentrified) suburb of Footscray.
GWS have taken in so many ex-Bulldogs it's amazing they haven't replicated Footscray's decades of stunning VFL success:
B0coTK2CUAANGZN.jpg

Pictured: Poor Sam Reid didn't even make it to the photo despite being a feel-good story of perseverance and persistence

This year they at least re-gain Shane Mumford who adds aggression around the ball and much needed white line fever.
GWS of course lost some high-draft pick kids who performed well last year for the 3rd 4th 5th year in a row. They should probably hire some ex-Guantanamo Bay guards as people with experience in keeping young men wearing orange in an barely hospitable shithole (but it's near a beach!)

Ryan plans to live the quiet life upon retirement on a property an hour away from Melbourne which is a pretty good place for him - a guy who never liked to attention associated with football and was always a country boy at heart.
Good luck with retirement Ryan, welcome to the Bottom 50 for 2018.

If Jordan Murdoch is getting rated for bad finals and being poor under pressure then Sam Menegola has to be no1

Lol love it when the stats pages get added into this thread. You know you've got some bites :D

The weird part is it's over 2 players who won't even make the list. :drunk:

It's actually a worse finals record than Gary Rohan (9 disposal average across 14 finals appearances).
That's pretty damning.

So you're saying Rohan was actually an upgrade? :rainbow:

Player #8 - Joe Daniher

CCY84MrWgAAb7Y8.png

Pictured: I take it back. Some pharmaceutical experimentation might be in order here

Joe Daniher has been talked up as a potential star of the competition for some time and was an AA selection in 2017. He also won mark of the year that year.

Joe's 2018 was a disaster in almost every sense of the word. I'll sum it up in one word: Clanger.

JD (as he is probably known) averaged 5 clangers per game, the second highest in the competition after Nat Fyfe. Nat Fyfe plays in the midfield, often disposing of the ball under pressure and averages 28.7 disposals per game. JD averages under 14 touches per game as a ruck/forward.

Joe's highlights include a 22 disposal game with 10 clangers against Collingwood (Essendon lost), a 14 disposal game against Freo with 7 clangers (Essendon lost) and an 11 disposal game against Hawthorn with 5 clangers (Essendon lost). Sense a pattern? Daniher was a total liability on-field this season which makes a nice change at Essendon as normally their famous names are only a liability off-field.

The guy struggles to kick the pill (that's slang for ball - have to specify that when we're talking about Windy Hill Tullamarine) to the point where he's even tried snapping at goal from a set shot. He still managed about a goal per game this year (and slightly more than one behind per game), and one hit-out per game which makes the 'ruck/forward' description a little dubious. Unless you name is Con and you had relations with a goat, you need to do something more than once to earn yourself a title like that.

Daniher is of course a famous name, his dad having played more than 100 games for both Essendon and Sydney. He had three uncles also play for the bombers back in the 'salary cap is a mere suggestion' days of the VFL so he chose to be picked up by the Bombers as a father son pick in the first round of the 2012 draft.
It was a simpler time in the VFL days - players could grab a beer after the game, there was no such thing a social media, and football club and bowls club could co-exist peacefully.
Unfortunately we didn't get to see Joe after round 7 this year as, like his former coach in Paris, he had groin trouble.

He also strangely has the teeth of someone who smokes:
CJni1prUEAAbzfX.jpg

Pictured: That god-awful ugly thing (in the top left corner ruins this photo)

Which this secret footage also corroborates:
dae5d4aedf5562c682ee7cb4d8c00e63.jpg

Pictured: The only smoking hot ass associated with the name 'Daniher'

On the plus side though Essendon 'won' trade week again which served them so well in 2018, and the 13 consecutive years before that.

Anyway Joe you've been friendly to chat with at music festivals so good luck with your recovery and a bounce-back next season. Welcome to the Bottom 50 for 2018.
tl;dr injured player was injured

Ummmm actually the benefit of hindsight tells us every bad game joe ever had was because of OP

Or being burdened by a really, really s**t outbreak of facial hair......

Ummmm actually the benefit of hindsight tells us every bad game joe ever had was because of OP
lol so every bad game he ever had was because he was injured for it, but he wasn't injured enough to never have a good game? Bombers logic ftw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So who’s left? Boyd, Tex, Billings, Goddard? I feel like there will be a surprise in there somewhere... Tippett is still on our roster after all...

Player #6 - Jordan Murdoch

Jordan at least gets... three years? What the hell are the Suns doing? I understand player contracts these days are about as strong as a Politician's promise but their list manager, which Google reliably informs me is Mr P. Vacant, really needs to have a strong talking to.

Anyway Jordan, enjoy the Gold Coast sun, surf and complete lack of accountability. Welcome to the Bottom 50 for 2018.
Was this organised by the Learner Driver that the Dockers have just appointed List Manager?

So who’s left? Boyd, Tex, Billings, Goddard? I feel like there will be a surprise in there somewhere... Tippett is still on our roster after all...

Buddy "the parked cars jumped out in front of me officer" Franklin should be still to come, recruited to win a premiership but just goes missing in the finals (some reoccurring mystery injury keeps appearing each time)

Dude, you find one Carlton fan with smedts in their user name and you might have a point. It's, what, $10 to upgrade to premium and change your name to Gregson_ the_Great or something.

With analysis like that, you could be the Blues’ list manager.

I took on this username at around the time he debuted. Like the cats, I took a chance on a talented kid and am willing to own it.

The Blues of course - as with most of your “buy high, sell low” drafting - had 5 years of DD, thought “I like the look of that” and happily assisted us to manage our salary cap.

Not referable.

Buddy "the parked cars jumped out in front of me officer" Franklin should be still to come, recruited to win a premiership but just goes missing in the finals (some reoccurring mystery injury keeps appearing each time)
1F3D8522-342C-405E-9BD8-0BEDB37C2309.gif

Player #5 - Ryan Griffen
They should probably hire some ex-Guantanamo Bay guards as people with experience in keeping young men wearing orange in an barely hospitable shithole

hqdefault.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back