Mofra's Bottom 50 for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Frankly I'm outraged at JJ going higher than murphy. Deserves to make the list but I'm sure I can remember at least one positive contribution for the year.
It's frankly an outrage that anyone sits higher than Murphy this year. And then Mofra gave him the wet lettuce leaf treatment anyway.
You might be right, he was a very effective 23rd man on occasions, up until they let him onto the ground
Can't tell if you're talking about JJ or Murphy. Applies to both.

It's frankly an outrage that anyone sits higher than Murphy this year. And then Mofra gave him the wet lettuce leaf treatment anyway.

Can't tell if you're talking about JJ or Murphy. Applies to both.
Or CB19

Player #5 - Marc Murphy
View attachment 1290992
Pictured: Marc Murphy (right) assures former Carlton coach David Teague that he's fit to play

Marc Murphy is one of Carlton's many number 1 draft picks who have helped them climb all the way from cellar dwellers to 'just missing the finals' on multiple occasions.
He is a former club captain, although strangely for Carlton Marc has no court convictions and is of good character.

Marc's football journey began way back in 2005, where he declined the option to play at the Brisbane Lions (where he was eligible as a Father-Son pick) in lieu of getting picked by Carlton. In dating terms, he turned down Susan Boyle to date Gina Rinehardt. Over the years Marc was a fine player for Carlton, even being adjudged the best player in the competition the Coaches Association way back in 2011 which was only 7 years into Essendon's winless finals streak.

In 2013 he took over the Carlton captaincy from Mark Moran and held it until 2018. He then had a decent 2019 and an okish 2020 although it was obvious he was cooked by the end of the year. How cooked? "Even Geelong didn't offer him a contract" cooked.
Carlton decided that sentimentality was more important than on-field performance and gave Marc another year in 2021. The plan seemed to be nurse him to 300 games, although given Carlton's history with numbers I'm surprised they didn't just call him a 300 gamer and be done with it.

Carlton did manage to tape him together enough to roll him out for 14 games of such mediocrity that even his most ardent supporters were starting to question the club direction (which had otherwise been so strong for the past 20+ years). Jon Patton's attempts to "chalk up the big 300" were more dignified. Eventually Marc made it to round 22 where he wound back the clock, in that he somehow had 24 touches and Carlton lost by 95 points.

Now, I don't begrudge Carlton for finally giving their fans something to cheer about other than their bi-annual new coaching appointment to usher in 'a new era'. List managers these days seem to all watch Moneyball before making list decisions but I applaud Carlton for going against the grain and choosing a different film:
View attachment 1291000
Pictured: Sure beats their last Hollywood inspired strategy, based on Goodfellas

Marc Murphy will always be remembered for leading Carlton for years from a period of darkness to one of mild gloom. He spent so many years carrying a bunch of spuds that the Federal Government have granted him water rights.
There have been a few hiccups during his career, like in 2017 when Jake Carlisle sledged Marc Murphy about his wife and Marc took exception to it. Murphy refused to shake Jake Carlisle's hand at the end of the game, and Jake was reportedly so upset he was heard 'loudly sniffing' in the toilet cubicle afterwards.

Fun fact: Marc's dad John is a Fitzroy legend who played 214 games for the Roys, before playing for South Melbourne and North Melbourne. Fitzroy would merge with the Bears to become the Brisbane Lions, South Melbourne would become the Sydney Swans, and North Melbourne proudly stood alone to win the wooden spoon in 2021.

Marc, congratulations on a fine career. Adios and welcome to the Bottom 50 for 2021.

Surprised he didn’t go number one tbh.

Nice summary of his otherwise decent career, but this year was a trainwreck on all fronts.

To add to that:

- Teague gifts him essentially a season’s worth of games. He (deservedly) gets dropped once and sooks it up in the media.
- Plays rubbish in the reserves, short steps on a couple of occasions (there is footage floating around) and somehow gets recalled the following week.
- Gets to 300 games, in Round 22, says thank you to Teague and the club by deciding not to play the following week.
- The team gets belted in his final game. Zero *s are given by his teammates, who proceed to ignore him after the final siren. This is the same club that chaired off (an opposition) Bryce Gibbs in his final game after being belted by the wooden spooners.

I know it’s not classy shitposting a 300 game veteran of your own club but FMD this guy is a fraud.

Its true , here is a shot of him almost getting a contested possession against top Geelong forward........never mind.

kdp_8249.jpg
A couple of ways to tell that isn't a final

St Kilda are there
Rohan has the ball

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pouts.....
we were there in 2020..

Guess who we beat?
Does anyone even count 2020 as a genuine year?

I mean these things would never happen normally
Geelong, Port and Brisbane all choked in finals
Dangerfield and Rohan disappeared when the heat went on
Collingwood got smashed in the finals
Norf travelled around the country like someone without a home

Player #3 - Jared Polec
1638756000729.png
Pictured: William Phelps Eno, the inventor of the one-way sign and Jared Polak's greatest career influence

Jared Polec is North's biggest profile signing in recent memory.

A former pick 5 for the Brisbane Lions, Jared then got homesick and went to Port Adelaide in 2014. Brisbane Improved after he left.
Jared Polec's wife then got homesick, and demanded Jared move to Melbourne (I assume her name is Brooke). Jared then left Port Adelaide (who improved after he left) and signed a lucrative 5 year deal with North Melbourne.

Jared played all 22 games with North in his first season at Arden St. Then after only 13 games last year, he had a big preseason and was selected in their round 1 side for 2021. He actually played the first 3 games of the season, but after his side's 128 mauling at the hands of the Bulldogs (in which he managed 7 disposals and no tackles) he was dropped.
Jared did make it back late in the season for two more games, registering 14 disposals. In total. He was then delisted and put onto the rookie list so North could be 'flexible' with list spots. Remember, this is one of the highest paid players at a club that won the spoon and is signing DFAs from expansion clubs to fill their list.

It's hard to see where it all went so wrong. Oh wait, it isn't. AFL in the modern era requires two way running, and while Jared may run faster than Rudi Giuliani's hair dye with ball in hand (an increasingly rare occurrence), when it comes time to defend he musters all the energy of a hungover pot-head sloth, on sedatives. The Olympics 100m final showcased more two-way running. In 'Roast me' form, this sums up Polec's penchant for defensive workrate well:
1638756737370.png

Modern wingman just need to help their defenders out and Jared's not even on a first name basis with most of them. Some north supporters have tried to argue that it's not in his DNA as he's "an attacking wingman", but we'll test this theory shall we?

How many goals and assists would you expect an "attacking wingman" to chalk up in a regular season? In Jared's case.... zero goals, one assist. $700k doesn't seem to buy you much these days but Sydney's property market represents better value for money. You could probably buy an assistance monkey for 1/10th of that (just don't buy one from David Glascott). 395 other AFL players managed to kick a goal this year, and that's only counting players who played 5 or more games. At least he cracked the top 437 for assists. Half of the other players on the '1 assist' list don't even have their own Wikipedia page.

To top it all off Jared is 29 years old and in a team so young that the half time oranges are called 'smiley faces' so the kids will actually eat them.
Polec is now the most expensive rookie in the history of the AFL. Even still, it's not the worst thing about his signing - that was last year when a picture of Polec playing in a scratch match for Collingwood did the rounds in the media:

1638758589519.png
Pictured: The irony of Collingwood playing someone they aren't paying, while not being able to play Treloar who they are paying for.

Anyway I hope Jared gets back to playing good football next year. Welcome to the pointy end of the Bottom 50 for 2021.

Somehow, .... that was expected.

Still godo effort. Well written and some definite laughs. Especially that he is beignpaid many multiples of my wages to do ..... not very much

Man, I remember when losing Polec felt like a big loss.
It sort of was, he was pretty good for us. But even then it was pretty obvious that he only ever viewed football as a job rather than a passion. And it turns out when you move somebody with that attitude away from home and away from the club he grew up supporting, and give him a guaranteed five year deal on 'set them up for life' type money at a club that doesn't look anywhere near winning a flag any time soon, thus taking away their only extrinsic motivators to perform, their performance dips as a result. Who could've possibly guessed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back