General Bombers Talk More talk of changing the logo. Post your thoughts here.

What should we do with the logo?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Letter from the President: Brand research project​

President Dave Barham provides an update on the club's brand research project.
By essendonfc.com.au - 1 hr ago

To all our Fans and Members,

The Essendon Football Club has a proud history as one of the oldest clubs in the AFL and we have a strong recognisable brand.

We are conducting a preliminary research project which centres around the Essendon brand and its elements.

The research project is in its early phase. Members and supporters have been and will continue to be canvassed as part of this process, in addition to the engagement of multiple Essendon Football Club stakeholders.

We have a proud history of more than 150 years and a deep connection to our members and supporters. This is and will always be respected and embraced.

There is no immediate action to change the club logo or any elements of the club brand. This is a longer-term project with significant work to be completed.

We proudly recognise that our future legacy begins with our proud history.

We will always be called the Bombers.

- Dave Barham

There are enough cool looking design elements in there to rework and modernise.

I don’t even mind having a shade of grey in there, just not that one, it’s so drab.

I cannot stand the stealth bomber logo, just makes me think of the saga.
Gotta change it! It's also just a s**t logo. Looks cheap!
I think the stealth bomber works well. It has the traits of a jet fighter which, lets face it, are more dynamic than the classic B52 etc.
Plus it looks like the plane is about to crash!
To me it looks like it is swooping down and at me. The perspective is quite dynamic.
There are enough cool looking design elements in there to rework and modernise.

I don’t even mind having a shade of grey in there, just not that one, it’s so drab.
Agreed, I think that the aggressive complicated typestyle and fussiness in the detail of the plane that could benefit from a reset. Most 'brands' have pulled out the faux bevels etc in their later incarnations .

Ok, interesting. What is it that you want the logo to do/communicate? And what do you see in the 2022 (150th year) logo that achieves that?
I'd say a heritage shield would fit a 150 year old football club better and our current logo would better fit a Japanese baseball club in the 90's but that's just me.

I'd say a heritage shield would fit a 150 year old football club better and our current logo would better fit a Japanese baseball club in the 90's but that's just me.

Honestly after the last 15 years maybe we should be a Japanese baseball club. Football is clearly not our go.

That new 2023 jumper that's been leaked has the 90s plane logo on it, so I guess we're stuck with it again
Good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't respond to the Gunners thing because my thoughts on that would be obvious.

Demons aren't real things, so I have no issue with that, just as I wouldn't if someone were the Trolls.

I'm happy to stop posting in this thread until the next opportunity in a year or two.

welcome back

I'm uncomfortable with the logo but I can live with it. But hopefully we never 'update' it to a new tool of death bomber plane or worse, liaise with the military in updating it, like the Winnipeg Jets did with their logo

welcome back

I'm uncomfortable with the logo but I can live with it. But hopefully we never 'update' it to a new tool of death bomber plane or worse, liaise with the military in updating it, like the Winnipeg Jets did with their logo

If you are uncomfortable with a picture of a plane pick another team

Change the logo only because it’s dated but being pragmatic the name Bombers is more offensive than a picture of a plane. None of which I want changed by the way.
How is it even offensive?

It is a proud name referencing WWII. Offensive to the Germans and Japanese maybe.

Nah, I’ve wanted them to update the logo for literal decades so I’m not too fussed.

But why exactly is a bomber plane considered offensive? Is it just military association in general? Or a specific time when bomber planes were used?.. changes in public sentiment to a specific war?… I’m kinda confused as to the reasoning.

Back