Most insular club in the league

Remove this Banner Ad

BuffDog

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Just a random Thursday thought bubble really.

Some clubs in the AFL are particularly open and approachable in their philosophy and dealings.

For example, Hawthorn has found sustained success from being very open to trading and getting deals done.

North Melbourne are very open with the media, usually allowing unprecedented access in broadcasts and Brisbane have done this too recently with Luke Hodges’ in game interviews. Though these typically smaller clubs often have to be open to increase their exposure at every opportunity.

Are there any clubs that are the opposite? In terms of limiting media dealings and/or perhaps traditionally preferring to draft instead of trade.

The North Korea of the AFL if you like - though I’d be very suprised if any club was pursuing their own nuclear weapons program.

You could probably make a fair case for my own club.

Just a random Thursday thought bubble really.

Some clubs in the AFL are particularly open and approachable in their philosophy and dealings.

For example, Hawthorn has found sustained success from being very open to trading and getting deals done.

North Melbourne are very open with the media, usually allowing unprecedented access in broadcasts and Brisbane have done this too recently with Luke Hodges’ in game interviews. Though these typically smaller clubs often have to be open to increase their exposure at every opportunity.

Are there any clubs that are the opposite? In terms of limiting media dealings and/or perhaps traditionally preferring to draft instead of trade.

The North Korea of the AFL if you like - though I’d be very suprised if any club was pursuing their own nuclear weapons program.

You could probably make a fair case for my own club.
Western Bulldogs are notoriously private when it comes to the media. Our version of training updates are random photos of people kicking. A lot of the coaching staff outright refuse interviews. Even just look at the relationship between Bevo and Damien Barrett for an idea of how much some of those involved with our club like dealing with the media

The only answer is Port Adelaide. It's not really that their anti-social, they genuinely dont give a rats arse if you're not part if the tribe.

Hawthorn's weekly medical reports spring to mind.

We've had blokes on 'back in 1 -2 weeks' that we have been in that position for 15 years !!
Back in the day the suprise inclusion was supposed to give a tactical advantage. Peter Knights having smoko on a friday morning at his day job, reading the paper thinking jezz, i thought vander wasn't going to play tomorrow. His hammy has come good. Shouda stayed of the juice last night.

In today's game any club who fluffs injury predictions for a competative advantage isn't very confident in itself.

Adelaide I’ve found is up there. They’ve essentially shut out the SA media in favour of basically running as their own media outlet. I think Rucci penned a couple of columns about it in the Addy.

To be fair though their coach seems as engaging as a brick, their co-captain can’t string two words together and the whole organisation is rather bland. Not worth pushing out there too much.

While I have little to say on the AFL side of things, as the captain and spokesperson for the Mt Buller Demons I would like to point out that recent accusations of our club being the most insular in the Sweet FA league are unfounded and frankly, decidedly false.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...st-wonders-at-snow-dome.1217146/post-60654228
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...-the-stadium-in-the-sky.1216077/post-60403256

We as a playing group and club welcome the media, our supporters and indeed our opposition to engage with our staff at all levels. Please follow the following link if you wish to engage with us and indeed become a part of the league.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...son-27-team-thread-never-on-page-two.1211337/
Thanks in advance

1557431595919.png

Headless

Apparently we own all of the WA media and use them as propaganda arms.

Open and transparent
100% you do. Poor Fremantle barely get a look in, let alone any of the other sixteen teams.

You do it well though so all the more power to you.

The only answer is Port Adelaide. It's not really that their anti-social, they genuinely dont give a rats arse if you're not part if the tribe.
Our neighbours have a long history of jobs for the boys....

They as above didn't wanna communicate with the Chief Football Writer.

They lied about injury reports....

How is it Port? We've opened up the club significantly, especially under the KT and Kochie era

To be fair though their coach seems as engaging as a brick, their co-captain can’t string two words together and the whole organisation is rather bland. Not worth pushing out there too much.
This is funny!
So true......... Sooo true

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our neighbours have a long history of jobs for the boys....

They as above didn't wanna communicate with the Chief Football Writer.

They lied about injury reports....

How is it Port? We've opened up the club significantly, especially under the KT and Kochie era
It wasn't really meant to be a criticism, just an observation. The upside is no other club is as protective of it's own.

I agree it's changing and I think that's professionalism morphing the clubs into a best practice model to some extent.

It wasn't really meant to be a criticism, just an observation. The upside is no other club is as protective of it's own.

I agree it's changing and I think that's professionalism morphing the clubs into a best practice model to some extent.
I agree it was 100% us. But our neighbours took that over once Keith `Norwood' Thomas came in.

Thats as big as Collingwood putting John Elliot as President.

Last edited:
Adelaide I’ve found is up there. They’ve essentially shut out the SA media in favour of basically running as their own media outlet. I think Rucci penned a couple of columns about it in the Addy.

But at the same time they have two particular players that are basically over everything media wise in Adelaide - Tex and Jenkins.

Mind you they are both terrible, but it doesn't stop the dickheads over here from eating up every word.

I agree it was 100% us. But our neighbours took that over once Keith `Noewood' Thomas came in.

Thats as big as Collingwood putting John Elliot as President.
It was very interesting seeing Pittard interviewed Wednesday night. You could sense the hurt at being pushed out, even though he maintained a professional facade. I think he was shocked at the club doing that, and in times gone by they wouldn't have.

Again that's not a criticism, list management has to be pragmatic and cold at times.

Perhaps your right about the Crows. My view is our club is entitled to protect player privacy, such as not disclosing Hoppers glandular fever in 2016, and in not mentioning Mumford until they had to this week for competitive advantage. For tgat reason I woukdn't criticise other ckubs for doing the same.

I also wish we didn't make players/staff available to the nuffie Vic press who only want to write rubbish that will be well received in Victoria. I think the CBA requires it with the players, and a new club has to market itself aggressively unfortunately.

Port Adelaide changed from this some point post-2004. Realised defining themselves as Whatever-the-Crows-Aren't and SA's Collingwood wasn't going to cut it.

Port Adelaide changed from this some point post-2004. Realised defining themselves as Whatever-the-Crows-Aren't and SA's Collingwood wasn't going to cut it.
I don't think that's right. The Port culture is much older than the Crows. I cant see they were ever a factor in how they defined themselves.

It is changing though. I've noticed on visits the younger generation don't really have the same depth of polarisation in SA.

I don't think that's right. The Port culture is much older than the Crows. I cant see they were ever a factor in how they defined themselves.

I mean the people running Port Adelaide changed. Looked at Carlton and saw how far arrogance but little else gets you on and off the field today. Port Adelaide's 45-year-old supporters didn't change, no.

Last edited:
But at the same time they have two particular players that are basically over everything media wise in Adelaide - Tex and Jenkins.

Mind you they are both terrible, but it doesn't stop the dickheads over here from eating up every word.

Jenkins has had a gaff here and there (Dangerfield comment) but he honestly isn't that bad.
Tex is primed for a Triple M morning breakfast slot so he can PHWOOOOOAR all morning

Melbourne are oldest club in the game. For a club so old, they are weird how insular they seem. They should be biggest club in the game but barely rate a mention when rivalries are talked about with other clubs from Victoria. That can only be achieved by being so insular. Most other clubs around that length of longevity got up each others noses and created rivalries. How Melbourne lack rivalries shows how insular they have been over such a long time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back