Most insular club in the league

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure about the clubs, but Victoria is by far the most insular state in Australia.

Wish Fremantle just shut up shop like Western Bulldogs does, particularly with Damien Barrett. Barrich for Channel 7 is a fleece, and Bazil tries so hard to get a lot from Ross. WA media is notoriously bad

Depends on the context.
If by insular you mean not recognising the achievements of other clubs then no you're not correct.

If you mean very single minded, one eyed etc, when it comes to the team the Port supporters follow then yes, but that is a good thing not a bad one.

I distinctly remember a relatively recent Hinkley-coached season where Fox Footy was getting all this 'inner sanctum' access at the Power games, whether it was letting the cameras in during their pre match preparations, miking up players/coaches listening to Hinkley in the huddle or whatever, it seemed like they were doing something every game. Naturally, Fox Footy loved it and you can see why they'd do it (it may have been around 2013ish when they just started climbing up the ladder after several lean years), but personally, it seemed a little desperate.

Having lived in both it really isn’t.

West Coast dominate WA media in a way that no one Victorian side does. The acknowledgment of interstate sides for both is on pretty much an even keel. It’s the Dockers that get shafted really.

West Coast dominates the WA media while no Victorian team dominates the Victoria media, sure. It's the bolded part that is wrong.

Having lived in both it really isn’t.

West Coast dominate WA media in a way that no one Victorian side does. The acknowledgment of interstate sides for both is on pretty much an even keel. It’s the Dockers that get shafted really.
I lived in Adelaide for a while and barely got much interstate news back then as well. Crows dominate the news but not as much as we do here. That said both there's never been a huge disparity in success between the two SA clubs and Port also have a huge history in SA.

Our Injury reports suck. We lost Fivey due to it and Nic Nats return date is still late 2017 (from his first reco).

Channel 7 gives weekly updates on Nicnat. For 12 months. Not sure what more you want

Information from the club about players who aren't Naitanui. Luke Partington dropped off the face of the earth so thoroughly in 2017 we began to suspect he'd been taken to Guantanamo Bay. Ryan Burrows last year was practically a mythical creature. We aren't sure if Masten's injured or not, what was wrong with Hickey for the last few weeks, Schofield was apparently too sick earlier in the year to play for the Eagles but suited up just fine for the Beagles, the injury lists are updated on a semiannual basis and some players aren't even on it when they're obviously injured. Would you like me to go on? I don't care what Channel 7 does, I look directly to the club for info about the players and they don't freaking publish anything. OR update height and weight measurements.

Information from the club about players who aren't Naitanui. Luke Partington dropped off the face of the earth so thoroughly in 2017 we began to suspect he'd been taken to Guantanamo Bay. Ryan Burrows last year was practically a mythical creature. We aren't sure if Masten's injured or not, what was wrong with Hickey for the last few weeks, Schofield was apparently too sick earlier in the year to play for the Eagles but suited up just fine for the Beagles, the injury lists are updated on a semiannual basis and some players aren't even on it when they're obviously injured. Would you like me to go on? I don't care what Channel 7 does, I look directly to the club for info about the players and they don't freaking publish anything. OR update height and weight measurements.
Fair point. Was a cheeky comment.
All we get from the S&C is 4-5 weeks. Then the next week it’s 4 weeks. Or TBC. No idea about timelines

Just a random Thursday thought bubble really.

Some clubs in the AFL are particularly open and approachable in their philosophy and dealings.

For example, Hawthorn has found sustained success from being very open to trading and getting deals done.

North Melbourne are very open with the media, usually allowing unprecedented access in broadcasts and Brisbane have done this too recently with Luke Hodges’ in game interviews. Though these typically smaller clubs often have to be open to increase their exposure at every opportunity.

Are there any clubs that are the opposite? In terms of limiting media dealings and/or perhaps traditionally preferring to draft instead of trade.

The North Korea of the AFL if you like - though I’d be very suprised if any club was pursuing their own nuclear weapons program.

You could probably make a fair case for my own club.
West Coast.

They've been getting better, but it's a product of very conservative management and a built in membership base.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast dominates the WA media while no Victorian team dominates the Victoria media, sure. It's the bolded part that is wrong.
The bolded part is 100% right.

West Coast supporters just have the most ridiculous victim mentality.

Essendon was until recently very insular. Perhaps best captured by the hiring of James Hird who, because he was a club legend, didn't need to go through the usual interview process before being offered the most important job at the club. That same year the club hired Bomber Thompson as an assistant, overlooking some questionable personal details, because he was also an Essendon hero.

There was a belief back then in Essendon exceptionalism. That Essendon people were somehow better than those from other clubs. The club was the very definition of insular throughout that period. Quite ironic really that it was a Richmond club champion that created the only successful period for the club in the past fifty years.

No one Vic team dominates the Vic papers/tv news, but you’d have to divvy it up as 50% Rich/Coll, 40% other Vic teams, 10% interstate.

The herald sun in particular is super Richmond-centric. North, WB and St K get less of a mention than Freo does in WA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back