Most overrated player in the AFL currently?

Remove this Banner Ad

As many posters pointed out (and Lloyd to be fair) he needed to add more his game than playing for frees. He did not.

Still young though.

Yep.

The AFL media machine hypes them up, some players do the work required, others drink their own bathwater and get spat out.

Last time he kicked under 45 goals in a season was 12 years ago 10 of those years over 50 as well…. I’ll take that.
When your best goal tally is 8 that automatically disqualified you from being a forward great as your peak is atrocious.

Dusty kicked 6 playing 50% forward. He’s a better forward than Hawkins when up there 🤣

Also has a better 1v1 % win rate

Like I've been saying all along, it's Lachie Neale.

'Nathan Buckley‘s choice words for a fellow Brownlow medallist
AFL legend Nathan Buckley took aim at former Brownlow Medal winner Lachie Neale in a scathing takedown of his current form.'

Like I've been saying all along, it's Lachie Neale.

'Nathan Buckley‘s choice words for a fellow Brownlow medallist
AFL legend Nathan Buckley took aim at former Brownlow Medal winner Lachie Neale in a scathing takedown of his current form.'

You are probably right. Mind you I think almost the entire Lions list and Fagan is overrated. They are nowhere near close to winning a flag with that group. Would love Carlton to play them in the finals, even at the Gabba. I would be very confident

What do you want a small forward to do? Crash packs? Front and centre/crumb off the marking contest is 9/10ths of the role for *s sake.
I see Rioli and LeCras as the two models for what a modern small forward could be. Not suggesting they were the best or first to do what they did, just that they both embodied those two different visions in an exceptional way.

Rioli was evasive, impactful, ground level wizard, who terrifies the opposition with his tackling and work in close, or LeCras with absolutely elite endurance, running patterns and nous.

Both brilliant marks in different ways, elite skills, who didn't just need to kick goals to have an impact. Rioli as a pressure forward, LeCras as a facilitator on the HFF. Breust reminded me a little of LeCras with his smart leading patterns, set shot goal kicking and medium forward style marking, without having quite as complete of a game.

Luke Breust, biggest seagull of all time

But credit to him, he’s made a career off it
I notice you've gone from calling a Breust a "frontrunner" during our 3peat years to now calling him a "seagull".

"Frontrunner" no longer applies since we dropped down the ladder and he's consistently kicking goals for one of the worst teams in the AFL. :D

I can understand why a clueless, casual observer might describe Breust as a "seagull" based on his crafty way of snaffling scoring opportunies. However, being a "seagull" (AKA roving the pack and snapping easy goals) is just one aspect of his game.

If you mean he skirts the tough stuff and hangs outside on the fringes looking for cheapies, then you couldn't be more wrong.

He has always been one of the leading forwards for contested possessions, tackles and pressure acts. Way better in this respect than many of the other leading goal kickers. Also a very team-oriented forward who looks to give the ball off to teammates in better position. He rarely, if ever, tries to be a hero and snap goals from boundary line.

I'm guessing that as a Pies fan, you prefer the "non seagull" types like Jamie Elliott who fly for speckies and produce the flashy highlights... The flash-in-the-pan types like Andrew Krakouer who light it up for one season... Or the "non-seagulls" like Leon Davis who kick the goal of the year and shiit their pants in September.

You got no time for a smart, efficient, consistent forward like Breust who excels at all the fundamentals, but has a fairly mundane highlights reel. That's cool. Whatever floats your boat. Just know that Breust has won more premierships (3) than Collingwood (2) over the last 65 years.

Won't be long before he goes past Peter Daicos on the all-time goals list.

Non key forwards:

1031..Gary Ablett Sr..... Hall of Fame (586 at HF + 445 at FF)
970... Jack Titus........... Hall of Fame
915... Leigh Matthews... AFL Legend
778... Kevin Bartlett...... AFL Legend
707... Dick Lee............. Hall of Fame
640... Eddie Betts
574... Richard Osborne
574... Stephen Milne
558... Brad Johnson...... Hall of Fame
549... Peter Daicos........ Hall of Fame
523... Luke Breust
521... Mick O'Loughlin.... Hall of Fame
518... Brent Harvey........ Hall of Fame
516... Stevie Johnson
496... Bill Hutchison....... AFL Legend
483... Jeff Farmer
479... Paul Hudson

523 goals in an era of low scoring with zone defences and crowded, flooded forward lines.
Since his debut in 2011, the average score has dropped from 92 to low 80's (83 since 2018)
You have to go all the way back to 1960's for a lower scoring era than this.

His consistency is best illustrated by the number of times he has kicked over 40 goals in a season.
Eight times. One of only 30 players in league history to have done that. Only one other modern day small forward: Milne

The AFL's current superstar small forwards Toby Greene and Charlie Cameron have done it 4 times each..
Sydney's star duo, Papley and Heeney have done it once apiece. They better get a wriggle on if they want to catch Breust.

Seasons of 40+ goals (non KPF in red)

14.. Titus, Franklin, Lockett, Wade, Coventry
13… Matthews
12.. Dunstall, Hawkins
11… Ablett sr, Lloyd, Richo, J.Riewoldt, Hall, Kernahan
10… D.Lee, Kennedy, Rocca
9.... N.Riewoldt, Moriarty
8.... Breust, Milne, Bartlett, Roughead, Tex, J.Cameron, Pavlich, Fev, Carey, Quinlan, McKenna
7.... Betts, B.Johnson, Tredrea, Modra, Darling, Lynch, Bradshaw, Loewe, Beasley, BT, Moncrieff, Pannam, Vallence
6…. S.Johnson, O'Loughlin, Paul Hudson, Osborne, ... and a dozen or so KPF's (Dermie, Hudson, Coleman, etc)

2.... Didak
1.... De Goey, McRae
0.... Elliott, Neon Leon

I think there is a strong case to be made that Luke Breust is one of the most unassuming, UNDERRATED players ever.

Last edited:
Breust might be one of the worst names I’ve seen mentioned in this thread

3 x flags which he was crucial in

500+ goals as a small forward

Kicked 40+ goals 8 times in his career

Been brilliant in an all time great team

Been brilliant in a bottom 4-6 team.

One of the best front and centre players to ever play the game.

He is a threat on the lead as a medium small forward, elite ground ball player. And always played within a system, never been a main focus point. Just consistently impacts winning.

Also Daicos does not belong in this thread, if you want to argue he’s a little overrated fine (I disagree but sure).

But he is inarguably a top 10 player in the league this season and a lot closer to one than he is 10. He is a long long way from the most overrated

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mad bad take. Guys played like 50% ruck this year and averages 20 hitouts. Still his like top handful of rucks for average: score lauches, goals from rucks, assists. Hes also elite in hta rate. From his 20 hitouts he averages 6.3 to advantage. Witts is leading the comp with 12.4 from 39, so nearly the same rate.

He needs to improve his output with marking and finding the pill but hes influencing more than others do with more ball.
Couldn’t agree more about Sam Draper. May never be a player. Doesn’t know how to read the play. Doesn’t impact the game enough. Only 37 marks this season and 35 in 2022; quite pathetic for a man standing 205cm. In Gary Dempsey’s best season he took 245 marks. Not sure who the ruck coach is at Essendon, but this guy needs serious guidance if he is going to progress to being a good player, from a very ordinary albeit an overrated one!

Jake Lever up there. Dumb, dumb footballer. Wtf was he doing in the last play the other night? Was it last year against the Lions in the same game he had another brain fart with the game on the line? He does look good on occasion without an opponent though....

Jake Lever up there. Dumb, dumb footballer. Wtf was he doing in the last play the other night? Was it last year against the Lions in the same game he had another brain fart with the game on the line? He does look good on occasion without an opponent though....
He's always been a dumb footballer. I've said this for a long time. He shouldn't even be in the leadership group with some of his decisions.

You are probably right. Mind you I think almost the entire Lions list and Fagan is overrated. They are nowhere near close to winning a flag with that group. Would love Carlton to play them in the finals, even at the Gabba. I would be very confident
Got your wish.

Feeling confident?

Jake Stringer.. 95% is unfit/uninterested/injured. 5% of the time, usually when contract is up, is close to elite. Much rather have a battler who try his guts out.

Ryan Burton and Xavier Durrsma.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back