Movie and TV Show scenes you like

Remove this Banner Ad

This is my favourite scene from any movie that I have ever seen. It's from a little known film called 'The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds' staring Joanne Woodward and directed by her husband Paul Newman. It came out in 1972 when I was 20. It's based upon a play written by Paul Zindel. Some of you might have read his novels The Pigman or My Darling, My Hamburger in high school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Effect_of_Gamma_Rays_on_Man-in-the-Moon_Marigolds_(film)

Context?

Read the plot summary in the link.

I saw it in the local cinema where I was going to college. Even though Matilda has had a really rough childhood, she always sees what is good in life. I wish I were so optimistic. The scenes with the elderly woman and how she's treated hits home too closely now. It's on YouTube:

It's probably been mentioned, but nearly 10 years on and I still cry like a little baby at the last 5 minutes of the Scrubs finale. (pretending season 9 doesn't exist of course).

Humorless Doctor Who fans hate the story with a passion, but I love the 1979 Tom Baker story 'The Horns Of Nimon', especially the scenes with Soldeed, the evil but fawning and sycophantic priest who rules a very strange race of people who worship the powerful Nimon, a fearsome horned beast.

The late Graham Crowden who played Soldeed did such a great job portraying this large ham character, overacting to amazing levels. Particularly funny was when he would enter the Nimon's complex to speak to it and would call it like a pet - 'Lord Nimon, Lord Niiiiimon ...' or his many encounters with the Doctor's feisty assistant Romana, whom he calls a 'meddlesome hussy' in one scene.

There is plenty of pantomime-like acting from the other actors in this serial, both experienced and inexperienced. One of the young actresses in Horns of Nimon, Janet Ellis, only looks about 15 in the episode, but is actually married with a baby daughter and aged in her early 20s at the time of filming. And who did her infant daughter grow up to be? Early 2000s pop star Sophie Ellis-Bextor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's going back a long way, is a bit obscure and probably before the time of many of the people on the board, but I always remember a scene from 'The Henderson Kids II' in 1987, where Vinnie (played by Alex Papps) tries to chat up Tam Henderson (played by Nadine Garner). When Tam isn't all that responsive at first to his clumsy attempts, Vinnie says that he's sorry about her Mum. Tam asks him 'What about her', and in an amazing display of tact, subtlety and sensitivity he responds by saying, 'Being dead, and all that.'

Even though I was a kid when I saw this, I just remember cringing and thinking, 'Oh no.'

Harry, let's face it. And I'm not being funny, I mean no disrespect, but you're a campaigner. You're a campaigner now, you've always been a campaigner. And the only thing that's gonna change is you're gonna become an even bigger campaigner. Maybe have some more campaigner kids.

Leave my kids ******* out of it. What have they done? You ******* retract that bit about my campaigner ******* kids!

I retract that bit about your campaigner ******* kids.

Insulting my ******* kids! That's going overboard, mate!

I retracted it, didn't I? Still leaves you being a campaigner.

Yeah, I ******* got that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back