News New Contracts - Boak, Mead, DBJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon if we were so bold as to occasionally place some players forward of the ball, DBJ wouldn't constantly look like the illegitimate genetic mingling of Davy Crockett and a deer in the headlights. Probably a year too many but I'm ok with it if he's on lowish $'s.

Was in 16 1 on 1 contests in total all season.

He lost 37.5% of those 1 on 1s (6) which was worse than

Bonner - 35.3%
Clurey - 33.8%
Burton - 26.7%
Aliir - 24%
Houston - 22.6%
Jonas - 19.6%
Jones - 11.1%

He was hot garbage defensively.
At the risk of being branded his relative again can I put a little perspective on this. He is apparently hot garbage defensively because he lost 6 one on ones in a whole year. If he loses 5 his percentage is lower than Bonner and Clurey. I have no trouble with PM not rating him but selective stats are a fallacy.
He had the 15th most Intercepts in the league and I know he missed at least one game. He is rated elite (top 10% in the league)for Ground Ball Gets, Pressure Acts, Contested Possessions and stoppage clearances.
His kicking % is 70.7% which is below average (the lowest category) his Disposal efficiency is 76.1% which is also below average.
Please note I do not think he had a great year either and I certainly dont what to be seen as his defence counsel however sometimes when someone becomes a whipping boy a few relevant facts need to be conveyed.
Onwards and upwards.

The club’s post says until 2025. That’s only three more years.

"Byrne-Jones’ new contract will see him extend his time at Alberton until at least the end of 2026"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the risk of being branded his relative again can I put a little perspective on this. He is apparently hot garbage defensively because he lost 6 one on ones in a whole year. If he loses 5 his percentage is lower than Bonner and Clurey. I have no trouble with PM not rating him but selective stats are a fallacy.
He had the 15th most Intercepts in the league and I know he missed at least one game. He is rated elite (top 10% in the league)for Ground Ball Gets, Pressure Acts, Contested Possessions and stoppage clearances.
His kicking % is 70.7% which is below average (the lowest category) his Disposal efficiency is 76.1% which is also below average.
Please note I do not think he had a great year either and I certainly dont what to be seen as his defence counsel however sometimes when someone becomes a whipping boy a few relevant facts need to be conveyed.
Onwards and upwards.
Two well below average years (way down on his 2020 form) and he is given a 3 year extension I have a big problem with that.

DBJ isnt as bad as what everyone here makes out, but 3 years seems a year too many. Also probably would have given Mead a 1 year deal.

DBJ isnt as bad as what everyone here makes out, but 3 years seems a year too many. Also probably would have given Mead a 1 year deal.
I am with you on this. I reckon from round one, our defence was under the hammer due to the breakdown of our system. He is the mop-up boy down back and was always under pressure, resulting in plenty of mistakes. IMO he got better as the year progressed, but was always only as good as the team ... which in reality was very average in 2023.

Pretty harsh to judge him and make him the whipping-boy for what was a poor team year.

I am with you on this. I reckon from round one, our defence was under the hammer due to the breakdown of our system. He is the mop-up boy down back and was always under pressure, resulting in plenty of mistakes. IMO he got better as the year progressed, but was always only as good as the team ... which in reality was very average in 2023.

Pretty harsh to judge him and make him the whipping-boy for what was a poor team year.
Why on earth would any coach with a brain put the worlds biggest panic merchant the mop-up boy down back

That'd be like having Pittard as our mop up b-...

Carry on.

Why on earth would any coach with a brain put the worlds biggest panic merchant the mop-up boy down back

That'd be like having Pittard as our mop up b-...

Carry on.
Geez, people here are just so over-the-top harsh. He is just the easy scapegoat. His last 3 or 4 games saw him start to get back into form. Comparing him to Pittard is just being lazy. Pittard was always crap, whereas DBJ had a bad start to the first half of the year ... as did everyone.

Geez, people here are just so over-the-top harsh. He is just the easy scapegoat. His last 3 or 4 games saw him start to get back into form. Comparing him to Pittard is just being lazy. Pittard was always crap, whereas DBJ had a bad start to the first half of the year ... as did everyone.
Do not tell me you're including the easily kills in any of your 'getting back into form'

The s**t on someone's shoes could have gotten a touch in those games.

Onwards and upwards.

I’ve long said Dbj is an elite ground level defender, horrible aerial defender, and plays the game at high speed which results in him just being a drop the ball on the boot hack and hope player.

Has things he’s elite at, and things that cost us.

Do not tell me you're including the easily kills in any of your 'getting back into form'

The s**t on someone's shoes could have gotten a touch in those games.
I dont give a crap who we played ... IMO he got into better form as the year progressed. He had some rubbish games through the year and became the easy whipping-boy.

Reality is, it could really have been any one of 10+ players that could have been chosen. It was a crap year all round for the entire club.

I dont give a crap who we played ... IMO he got into better form as the year progressed. He had some rubbish games through the year and became the easy whipping-boy.

Reality is, it could really have been any one of 10+ players that could have been chosen. It was a crap year all round for the entire club.
And yet he's getting a 3 year extension like he's had some remarkable season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back