News New Contracts - Boak, Mead, DBJ

Remove this Banner Ad

If Lachie Jones can stay fit I'd like him to take DBJs spot.
I don't disagree with this but these general defenders that can push in to midfield types are actually pretty versatile and we don't know how games will play out. We also don't know which games we might need "two Lachie Jones"s for.

Burton, Houston and Bonner are all above DBJ yet I'd say there is a chance that any of them could be needed in the midfield next year with Amon gone - we may not know how this will play out til after the 2023 season starts. Jase Burgoyne and Lachie Jones are both younger and their form may fluctuate. Then on top of that there is injuries - Bonner and Jones have both missed games.

DBJ should be a strong asset on a good list. He shouldn't be played as best 22 as often as he is, shouldn't be one of our highest paid and yes 3 years is a year too long, but I'm glad we have him next season.

The inflated rating of DBJ shows that Hinkley and Davies are dimwits. DBJ is more hack than good. This is a good bloke contract because it can't be based on football ability alone. DBJ being a DVC is insulting to the Port squads of bygone eras. It's these types of inflated judgements on players and staff that continues this club's failings.

He was an AA just a couple of seasons ago. Probably doesnt command a high salary.

Its honestly not that bad. You need blokes like DBJ on your list.
Maybe as depth.
Too much of a ball burner to keep in the backlines.
If we are so desperate to keep him, then play him as that pressure forward Hinckley seems to covet, because he does hunt the ball rrasonably well, which would allow SPP to play more midfield minutes.

And would eliminate the need to play Jake Neade. McEntee.

2025 for DBJ? This is a Lobbe/Pittard tier contract
A Hinkley tier contract IMO.

The crazy part is, a lot of us have known this all preseason before games started. Now he's playing, and losing marking contests to Murphy at will, it's just embarrassing. DBJ is part of the problem and should be in the process of being phased out. Not given a long term deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back