News New Irish Recruit - Oisin Mullin...2022 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Rugby (by which I mean union) involves different types of kicks (drop, place, spiral, and punt kick, etc) which are all different techniques to the Australian games punt and torp. Being adept at union and league kicking did not help Hunt or Folau.

Whatever the case, I like look of this new Irish prospect. I suppose he will now have a year or two in the VFL to learn.
watch the recent All Irish finals, they kick very differently to both. It looks like they don't recent strike hard through the ball.

Rugby (by which I mean union) involves different types of kicks (drop, place, spiral, and punt kick, etc) which are all different techniques to the Australian games punt and torp. Being adept at union and league kicking did not help Hunt or Folau.

Whatever the case, I like look of this new Irish prospect. I suppose he will now have a year or two in the VFL to learn.
Hunt was a pretty good kick to be fair, he just lacked any other actual football ability

watch the recent All Irish finals, they kick very differently to both. It looks like they don't recent strike hard through the ball.
It's interesting. Tuohy can obviously kick the skin off a Sherrin and O'Connor is a decent user by foot. Okunbor never really seemed comfortable. Seems like each individual takes to it differently.

Rugby Union players converting to AFL have an advantage as they know how to kick and catch an oval ball. The disadvantage is they are used to facing the opposition due to the off side laws.
Gaelic football is similar to the no off side AFL but the disadvantage is that they have to learn how to kick and handle a Sherrin.

It's interesting. Tuohy can obviously kick the skin off a Sherrin and O'Connor is a decent user by foot. Okunbor never really seemed comfortable. Seems like each individual takes to it differently.

Okunbor was also not an elite junior talent in the Gaelic. O’Connor and Mullin much stronger pedigree in the local game. Okunbor was a punt on his athletic potential.

Rugby Union players converting to AFL have an advantage as they know how to kick and catch an oval ball. The disadvantage is they are used to facing the opposition due to the off side laws.
Gaelic football is similar to the no off side AFL but the disadvantage is that they have to learn how to kick and handle a Sherrin.
Has there ever been a convert from Union to AFL? Mike Pyke comes to mind. Can't think of any others.

I don't think we really know if he is coming, do we?

But if he does, 178cms isn't a problem for a powerful running defender.

AMcTW is only 171.
Bachar Houli 181.
Caleb Daniel 170.
Jayden Short 178.
Nick Hind 180.
Blake Hardwick 181.
Jarman Impey 178.
Adam Saad 178.
Roarke Smith 181.

That's just a few blokes classed as general defenders. Doesn't even touch on mids or forwards who are on the shorter side.

If he comes, height won't be what stops him.

Officially official.

Geelong has signed young Irish star Oisin Mullin from Mayo as category B rookie.

The 21-year-old has already established himself as one of the premier defenders in Gaelic football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a signing by the cats.
for all you with questions marks - just don’t. He’s an athletic freak.
A proven big game player.
Has pretty much no weaknesses in his game in Gaelic football.
I’d say he’s the most talented Irish player to ever go to the AFL.
The only thing that will potentially trip him up is homesickness and missing out the opportunity to be a part of history with Mayo in the coming seasons. It’s proved too big a lure for Conor McKenna in the end too.
ability wise - there are no question marks IMO.

The only thing that will potentially trip him up is homesickness and missing out the opportunity to be a part of history with Mayo in the coming seasons. It’s proved too big a lure for Conor McKenna in the end too.

Thanks for the insight, sounds a promising prospect.

It seems he will be a speedy HBF in our game, does that seem right to you?

Put me at the front of the queue. He hasn't actually played the game yet. I couldn't care less about how athletic they are, I do care about whether they are good footballers.

Ability wise - there are enormous question marks.

Thanks for the insight, sounds a promising prospect.

It seems he will be a speedy HBF in our game, does that seem right to you?
Yes that would be correct. Something like Conor McKenna but probably more physical. I think a lot of Australians think all the Irish lads are all the same standard. To provide some context - if there was a draft in Gaelic Football, Oisin would have been a number one pick. Mark o connor would probably have been a top 5 pick when he was 18 in a theoretical Gaelic football draft.
Okunbor was different - nowhere near the same level as a Gaelic player as Mark or Oisin.

I don't know how to feel as a Mayo and Cats fan. God Mayo need to lift the curse but I do love the cats so much!!

Actually think this kid will be good. Good in contested marking (from his highlights) which is a little unique in the Irish lads that come over to our game.

Looks like he has the skills to be what Jordan Clark should have been.

Actually think this kid will be good. Good in contested marking (from his highlights) which is a little unique in the Irish lads that come over to our game.

Looks like he has the skills to be what Jordan Clark should have been.
Nail on the head. He looks like he's a stronger, thicker version of Clark, who is good in the contest. What a great pickup. Good work by Wells and co, to grab Stengle and now Mullin. Probably the equivalent of two top 20 picks in this year draft. If they get Schlenslog as a rookie, then Wells would have also grabbed a top 30 player too for nothing (but a list spot - obviously).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back