News New Irish Recruit - Oisin Mullin...2022 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Put me at the front of the queue. He hasn't actually played the game yet. I couldn't care less about how athletic they are, I do care about whether they are good footballers.

Ability wise - there are enormous question marks.
Fair enough, but have a little hope. It's an astute signing by the club.

Fair enough, but have a little hope. It's an astute signing by the club.

Seems to tick a lot of the boxes for a Category B Rookie - let's hope his attributes translate well into AFL.
Lot of work to do but I think quality Gaelic players and Basketballers can do well in our game.

Love this signing! Oisin Mullin is a prize recruit, listen to this YT video jump to 15:40
The cats recruiting staff deserve a big pat on the back for this one. Best of luck Oisin and welcome to Geelong!

Two things....

He's coming to Australia for the sunny weather... :D

And supposedly there's alot of sideways movement of the ball in their game and Mullins was the antidote for that and loved taking it straight down the field...

Irony that he ends up in Geelong. Lucky for us.

Two things....

He's coming to Australia for the sunny weather... :D

And supposedly there's alot of sideways movement of the ball in their game and Mullins was the antidote for that and loved taking it straight down the field...

Irony that he ends up in Geelong. Lucky for us.

I was going to say the same thing... antidote to boring sideways football - uh oh!

Love this signing! Oisin Mullin is a prize recruit, listen to this YT video jump to 15:40
The cats recruiting staff deserve a big pat on the back for this one. Best of luck Oisin and welcome to Geelong!

So wait, Mayo makes the finals and loses every year off the back of solid defence and sideways ball movement. This kid is a point of difference in always wanting to drive forward directly off half back using his pace and skills and is seeking a change to somewhere with better weather?

Holy hell we are Mayo and Oisín is Jordan Clark. It is uncanny.

Okunbor was also not an elite junior talent in the Gaelic. O’Connor and Mullin much stronger pedigree in the local game. Okunbor was a punt on his athletic potential.

That's a good point and I think it's something that AFL clubs are probably a bit more wary of now in terms of their recruitment from gaelic football.
Raw athleticism can carry you a long way at juvenile level, but it can often paper over the cracks of a skills deficit, which will manifest itself as you develop at senior level.
Seems to tick a lot of the boxes for a Category B Rookie - let's hope his attributes translate well into AFL.
Lot of work to do but I think quality Gaelic players and Basketballers can do well in our game.

I'm sure Zach Tuohy and Mark O'Connor would agree. 🙂

So wait, Mayo makes the finals and loses every year off the back of solid defence and sideways ball movement. This kid is a point of difference in always wanting to drive forward directly off half back using his pace and skills and is seeking a change to somewhere with better weather?

Holy hell we are Mayo and Oisín is Jordan Clark. It is uncanny.
Except Oisin is willing to play an unfamiliar sport in order to have a professional career on the other side of the world. Clark is willing to play in his preferred position in his second favourite sport in his home state...

Put me at the front of the queue. He hasn't actually played the game yet. I couldn't care less about how athletic they are, I do care about whether they are good footballers.

AND GET OFF MY LAWN

Go Catters

Tend to agree, people are posting as if we just signed prime Chris Judd, the guy hasnt actually touched a Sherrin in his life and has plenty of strides to make to actually make it as even an average standard AFL footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, he was one those pure gym rat sort of players. Just a notch below Bird as a highly skilled and talented, big white guy.

I saw him play for the St. Johns Redmen a few times, he was incredibly athletic even then.

He's being talked up as the 2nd coming to David Wojcinski. Let's hope the output warrants the hype.

If I could bring back any player from our Premiership teams it would be Wojo..

I come in peace...As a Mayoman I am gutted we are losing Oisin and as a Saints fan I would have loved to have him. He has undoubted athletic ability and the mentoring that he will get from Zach and Mark is not to be underestimated. He has also known this day was coming since before Covid and therefore should be more comfortable in the decision and the commitment required to be an AFL player. He's a category B rookie ...if it works out great for the Cats and Oisin ..if not it's not like you have given up a top draft pick. Enjoy the ride and look forward to seeing his progress...

My fellow Geelong fans.
I wanted to see some more footage of Mullin, since there really is just the same game highlights on Youtube.
I tell no lie when I just randomly clicked on a few random moments so far on the below link of a full game Mullin played a year ago.
The small amount that I have seen has left me with zero doubt that this kid can be a very very high quality damaging player.

Click to the 43 MINUTE MARK of the link and watch him just look like a machine/Chris Judd for a second.
Surely he would do this many times aswell, I've literally just flicked to a few plays and been called to post about it already (imagine if I watched the entire game).

I'm more pumped about this kid than the first draft pick we will get in the mid-20s

Someone mention Wojo and I see similarities for sure + Mullin doesn't seem to mind the physical stuff.

Checkout these times:

30 mins
43 minute mark.... GOLD.
1h 1mins
1hr 10mins

Last edited:
My fellow Geelong fans.
I wanted to see some more footage of Mullin, since there really is just the same game highlights on Youtube.
I tell no lie when I just randomly clicked on a few random moments so far on the below link of a full game Mullin played a year ago.
The small amount that I have seen has left me with zero doubt that this kid can be a very very high quality damaging player.

Click to the 43 MINUTE MARK of the link and watch him just look like a machine/Chris Judd for a second.
Surely he would do this many times aswell, I've literally just flicked to a few plays and been called to post about it already (imagine if I watched the entire game).

I'm more pumped about this kid than the first draft pick we will get in the mid-20s

43 Minute mark.... GOLD.

Look Oisin is a star.
but that footage is from a junior club match, at a level that he is miles above. It’s one of the unique things about Gaelic football, elite players still play with their Local clubs.
he would be the only player on the park playing at intercounty level in this game. This is like Tom Stewart heading back to the Barwon District league in 2021 after a few years in the AFL and sticking out like a sore thumb as the best player on the park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back