Streaming New Star Trek series announced; Patrick Stewart to reprise his role as Jean-Luc Picard

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Even in his 20's he looked and sounded exactly the same. This is his TV debut, from Coronation Street. In 1967.

Amazing footage, his voice is iconic. Could recognise it anywhere. What a career he’s had. Magnificent.

Haven’t started this current season yet but will do so shortly, maybe binge watch it when all episodes are done.

I laughed at the callback to Star Trek: The Voyage Home in the scene on the bus. That was the same guy, too, only much older. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but in the street where Giunan's bar was is Floyd's Barbershop, from the classic OS episode The City on the Edge of Forever. Another good episode.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caught up with the first 4 episodes, the set up has been excellent. Really enjoying this, and the nod to the Star Trek 4 bus scene was great.

2 things stood out to me in the 4th episode, Watcher. The way Seven drove out of the car park in the police car, I thought why is she being so reckless and drawing attention to themselves. No wonder there such a pursuit afterwards, but I guess that was needed as the main action set piece of the episode. It was nonsensical otherwise.

The younger version of Guinan was interesting - I recall the Times Arrow two parter from TNG. Around season 4 or 5 if Im not mistaken. Whoopi Goldberg appeared as Guinan in the 1800s in San Francisco (could've been LA, might be wrong). Her appearance was the same, as her species live for many hundreds of years and age very differently. She met Picard then. I wondered why does she appear as a younger version of herself when this period is set in 2024? And why doesn't she recognise Picard? I must have missed some key dialogue or something, or maybe it is yet to be explained.

Caught up with the first 4 episodes, the set up has been excellent. Really enjoying this, and the nod to the Star Trek 4 bus scene was great.

2 things stood out to me in the 4th episode, Watcher. The way Seven drove out of the car park in the police car, I thought why is she being so reckless and drawing attention to themselves. No wonder there such a pursuit afterwards, but I guess that was needed as the main action set piece of the episode. It was nonsensical otherwise.

The younger version of Guinan was interesting - I recall the Times Arrow two parter from TNG. Around season 4 or 5 if Im not mistaken. Whoopi Goldberg appeared as Guinan in the 1800s in San Francisco (could've been LA, might be wrong). Her appearance was the same, as her species live for many hundreds of years and age very differently. She met Picard then. I wondered why does she appear as a younger version of herself when this period is set in 2024? And why doesn't she recognise Picard? I must have missed some key dialogue or something, or maybe it is yet to be explained.

When she asked who he was and he told her he was Picard I thought she recognised him, but maybe not.

When she asked who he was and he told her he was Picard I thought she recognised him, but maybe not.

Yes he eventually said his name towards the end of the conversation. Given he's considerably older than their first meeting, that could account for why she didn't recognise him I guess. Was more so wondering why was her appearance different etc. Not saying its a massive issue or plothole or anything, it just struck me as odd given what was previously established. Continuity error perhaps.

Yes he eventually said his name towards the end of the conversation. Given he's considerably older than their first meeting, that could account for why she didn't recognise him I guess. Was more so wondering why was her appearance different etc. Not saying its a massive issue or plothole or anything, it just struck me as odd given what was previously established. Continuity error perhaps.

Yeah to be honest probably a cost saver on not using de-aging tech and maybe Whoopi was only available for one ep.

I'm really on the fence so far with the series, some of it I'm enjoying but ST does time travel storylines a lot and imo they often suffer the same problem of prequels, they end up tying together too many events that were originally separate, organic and random.

Two predictions, Seven stays behind and Agnes becomes the Borg queen. You know a series/movie I really would have enjoyed if done right would have been the Borg origins, not the queen but the original Borg. Some advanced race adding more and more bio tech and AI until eventually they lose control. Could be a real tragedy watching some benin even helpful race going down the path that will eventually lead them to eradicate and enslave trillions.

The reason their 1893 meeting wasn’t mentioned in “Watcher” is because those events didn’t happen due to the change in the timeline. Terry Matalas explained to Inverse that “This Guinan wouldn’t remember Picard because in this alternate timeline, the TNG episode ‘Time’s Arrow’ never happened.” Matalas has confirmed with TrekMovie that the way they are treating time travel is that even though they arrived before Q’s divergence in time, they are not in the Prime timeline; they are still in the altered “Confederation” timeline.

I think they heard about that episode after they released the episode of Picard and found a convenient answer.

Ultimately if you didn't like it you still won't and if you didn't care you still don't.

Personally thought the bus scene was really cheap and their efforts to discus modern day issues by leaving the allegory behind and directly discussing modern day issues is lazy.

They only have 21 producers working on it though, can't expect someone to come up with something creative.

I’m still trying to figure this out - how can the events of 1893 be made redundant when the timeline wasn’t changed until 2024? Wouldn’t the timeline have been the same up until that point in 2024 that causes the “confederation” timeline (April 15 supposedly, let’s see what happens in the coming episodes).

But it doesn’t make sense based off that explanation. Good ol time travel and the issues it can cause hey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back