Mod. Notice What do you want to see on the Geelong Board in 2017?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps.....

Just a shame that the same effort that goes into smart arse, antagonistic replies and personal insults isn't put into promoting sensible debate and discussion.

Half of it has to do with miscommunication, so much meaning is lost when you communicate through text alone. An innocent statement misread can be the start of some bad blood that just spirals out of control. Think about all of the times something like a joke gets read as an insult or a sarcastic quip is taken literally, in the worst way possible. Once a grudge starts its often hard to end it.

The other half has to do with the near impossibility of distinguishing the posts of a top level troll from an idiot (for the lack of a better word), it a twisted form of Poe's Law. Which ends in long chains of riled up posters attacking a silly comment. When Ideally people should recognize it for what it is and just ignore it. For the most part the mods like to err on the side of caution (my favorite Scott-ism) and assume that any provocation is unintentional.

It's a trade off between censorship and atmosphere. When there is more censorship everyone who remains tends to conform and get along better but the place becomes a circle-jerk

Half of it has to do with miscommunication, so much meaning is lost when you communicate through text alone. An innocent statement misread can be the start of some bad blood that just spirals out of control. Think about all of the times something like a joke gets read as an insult or a sarcastic quip is taken literally, in the worst way possible. Once a grudge starts its often hard to end it.

The other half has to do with the near impossibility of distinguishing the posts of a top level troll from an idiot (for the lack of a better word), it a twisted form of Poe's Law. Which ends in long chains of riled up posters attacking a silly comment. When Ideally people should recognize it for what it is and just ignore it. For the most part the mods like to err on the side of caution (my favorite Scott-ism) and assume that any provocation is unintentional.

It's a trade off between censorship and atmosphere. When there is more censorship everyone who remains tends to conform and get along better but the place becomes a circle-jerk

Yeah, written words can be construed so many different ways, and you don't have the facial cues, tones of voice etc to give the context.

As time goes on I think the idiots and trolls are eventually revealed, but I guess we're all guilty at times of responding to them rather just ignoring them.

Can't be easy being a Mod.

Yeah, written words can be construed so many different ways, and you don't have the facial cues, tones of voice etc to give the context.

As time goes on I think the idiots and trolls are eventually revealed, but I guess we're all guilty at times of responding to them rather just ignoring them.

Can't be easy being a Mod.

It's a long, unpaid and thankless task, I can't believe anyone in there right mind would be stupid enough to volunteer to be one :D

Form an orderly queue behind the sign that reads "Arse kissing". :D

But seriously, I can't advocate the use of the ignore function enough. We need some ignore function testimonials!

Form an orderly queue behind the sign that reads "Arse kissing". :D

But seriously, I can't advocate the use of the ignore function enough. We need some ignore function testimonials!
I can strongly recommend it, I almost gave up on this place a while ago given the sheer volume of crap that was being posted... putting the people that rub you up the wrong way on ignore is a fantastic help.

The vast improvements in the mobile site also help, I used tapatalk which was no good with ignore, now the mobile site works fantastically well (generally) and ignored people are ignored

It can make the thread a bit disjointed at times, but that is still much better than making it rage inducing.

I can strongly recommend it, I almost gave up on this place a while ago given the sheer volume of crap that was being posted... putting the people that rub you up the wrong way on ignore is a fantastic help.

The vast improvements in the mobile site also help, I used tapatalk which was no good with ignore, now the mobile site works fantastically well (generally) and ignored people are ignored

It can make the thread a bit disjointed at times, but that is still much better than making it rage inducing.

Likewise.

Near deleted myself and walked away......not that it would've mattered if I did, but still, this was a good place to discuss all things GFC at one point.

Deteriorated since then, but the ignore function certainly makes it better. Got to follow the post numbers carefully though!

Moral of the story- the ignore function is a wonderful thing :)

A Geelong coloured background for the board. Looks nice on the Blues board. HaroLad would probably be interested in making a design too i'd imagine.

264022_393f5b3ddedf7057cff6d764ae22a345.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps.....

Just a shame that the same effort that goes into smart arse, antagonistic replies and personal insults isn't put into promoting sensible debate and discussion.
From my perspective some of this stems from the fact that a few topics get done to death (Chris Scott's coaching is the best example we have on here right now) or when posters wheel out the same sh!t to simply, I gather, wind others up.

When the same posters trot out the same theories over and over it gets fairly tiresome and that can lend itself to smartarsery.

Sometimes it is best to just step away from the board for a few days. If you return, it must have more pros than cons for you.

If you don't miss it, that might be telling you something as well.

On the bolded, I really think more people should put up their hand up to do a Podcast (there are no right or wrong theories or comments on there anymore than on the board when you post) and it is a good way to meet a few fellow Geelong Board members from the comfort and safety of your couch.

Listening to them certainly gives you a better vibe on the posters who have done them so far and taking part in them is even better as there is a bit of banter beforehand which helps you get to know the people behind the usernames.

If you have Skype and just one opinion you are good to go.

Last edited:

I've used it once. It's incredible. Didn't realise it removes whole threads if they start them. Sanity restored.

I'm all in if everyone wants one.
Posted this exact thing about 2-3 weeks ago over in Mod land. Have been in touch with Chief and will pass on what is required. Will pm you later today my time.

Go Catters

On the bolded, I really think more people should put up their hand up to do a Podcast (there are no right or wrong theories or comments on there anymore than on the board when you post) and it is a good way to meet a few fellow Geelong Board members from the comfort and safety of your couch.

Listening to them certainly gives you a better vibe on the posters who have done them so far and taking part in them is even better as there is a bit of banter beforehand which helps you get to know the people behind the usernames.

Quoted just to try ram this point home.

I am all for volunteers putting their hands up to have a crack. Think of it as just a casual discussion about the club most of us love between mates

Would it be worth having a Bay13 style thread perhaps "The Lamby's Tent" where all off topic posts can go?

Things like hashtag pumping and rantings so threads don't get overrun or derailed as easily, folks that want to do those kinds of things could do so till their hearts content in there

Would it be worth having a Bay13 style thread perhaps "The Lamby's Tent" where all off topic posts can go?

Things like hashtag pumping and rantings so threads don't get overrun or derailed as easily, folks that want to do those kinds of things could do so till their hearts content in there
In theory I agree with you but not all derailments are equal and a small amount of off topic talk just mixes things up at bit. It rarely gets in the way of football discussion. What a couple of pages when our pre and post match threads get between 30 to 50 pages each week

From my perspective some of this stems from the fact that a few topics get done to death (Chris Scott's coaching is the best example we have on here right now) or when posters wheel out the same sh!t to simply, I gather, wind others up.

When the same posters trot out the same theories over and over it gets fairly tiresome and that can lend itself to smartarsery.

Sometimes it is best to just step away from the board for a few days. If you return, it must have more pros than cons for you.

If you don't miss it, that might be telling you something as well.

My job is demanding, and I don't have Skype after re-locating, but when / if things settle I'll look into getting it again and would happily participate.

In theory I agree with you but not all derailments are equal and a small amount of off topic talk just mixes things up at bit. It rarely gets in the way of football discussion. What a couple of pages when our pre and post match threads get between 30 to 50 pages each week
This is essentially the sum of it. I don't mind Boxhead_31's suggestion, and to some extent that's what the Scratching Post is there for. We can't police every post in every thread for being off topic. It's when it gets out of hand that we have to reign it in.

But happy to discuss among the mod group if there's scope for a thread where people can be a bit 'looser' discussing footy-related stuff.

What about a dedicated 'things that don't warrant a thread' thread. Football related of course but with leeway for some OT chat?
Would also limit the amount of threads that result in nearly no replies.

Edit: Also doing the sane thing and no posting in the new Scott thread. Don't want to be sucked back in :)

What about a dedicated 'things that don't warrant a thread' thread. Football related of course but with leeway for some OT chat?

Edit: Also doing the sane thing and no posting in the new Scott thread. Don't want to be sucked back in :)

I'll hold you to that

Edit: I wonder if I put catempire on the ignore list if the thread will go off the thread list

Edit 2: I just found out that you can't put mods on the ignore list

Edit 3: Suggestion for the box: enable us to put mods on the ignore list

Edit 4: Just realised that the only way to never see that thread is if no one posts in it

I'll hold you to that

Edit: I wonder if I put catempire on the ignore list if the thread will go off the thread list

Edit 2: I just found out that you can't put mods on the ignore list

Edit 3: Suggestion for the box: enable us to put mods on the ignore list

Edit 4: Just realised that the only way to never see that thread is if no one posts in it

There is another option available to you which I have just facilitated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back