Autopsy Geelong leaves Sydney with 2 points - who wants to watch the replay...

Remove this Banner Ad

Can definitely outsmart and out-position most oppo kpfs but can get done on brute strength. That's half the beauty of our backline last year. So much flexibility, each with a different set of skills.
I think people tend to look at Henry’s size and think he can’t take the bigger key forwards. His record shows very few occasions where they have got a hold of him. One against King stands out and I can’t remember any others really.

Melbourne without Oliver in Geelong is an easier game than Richmond at the G. You rate them very highly but they've lost or been run close by plenty of average sides.
Bulldogs (our bunnies) not really a tougher assignment than Adelaide, especially when we got them.
Fremantle away not as tough as Port away - that one I'll give you.
Completely disagree. Objective measures say the complete opposite.

I think people tend to look at Henry’s size and think he can’t take the bigger key forwards. His record shows very few occasions where they have got a hold of him. One against King stands out and I can’t remember any others really.
Has the stickiest hands in the team too, as we saw last week in the rain against Melbourne.
Well, maybe with Stengle.

Has the stickiest hands in the team too, as we saw last week in the rain against Melbourne.
Well, maybe with Stengle.
And the most athletic, despite what Seeds says. :D

Completely disagree. Objective measures say the complete opposite.
"It's not who you play but when you play them" ;)

Sydney a perfect example. Melbourne without Oliver another. Port in round 13 vs round 2.

2.5 wins separate 4th and 13th.

I'm glad you rated the Demons, Bulldogs, Crows and Bombers wins so highly though (4th, 5th, 6th and 8th!). It must mean you remain bullish on our chances.

"It's not who you play but when you play them" ;)

Sydney a perfect example. Melbourne without Oliver another. Port in round 13 vs round 2.

2.5 wins separate 4th and 13th.

I'm glad you rated the Demons, Bulldogs, Crows and Bombers wins so highly though (4th, 5th, 6th and 8th!). It must mean you remain bullish on our chances.
I would be bullish if we could keep a stable team on the park!

We will win the next couple but then run into the Lions at the Gabba which is hard to see us winning in current form. However, if we win that I could see us taking some momentum into the tough stretch against Port and Collingwood.

But given the way things have gone so far this season, I’m expecting more bad luck, more unexpected losses (expected unexpected losses, yes that’s a thing) and either just scraping into the eight or just missing out. Either way not having enough good form under our belt to make finals.

I would be bullish if we could keep a stable team on the park!

We will win the next couple but then run into the Lions at the Gabba which is hard to see us winning in current form. However, if we win that I could see us taking some momentum into the tough stretch against Port and Collingwood.

But given the way things have gone so far this season, I’m expecting more bad luck, more unexpected losses (expected unexpected losses, yes that’s a thing) and either just scraping into the eight or just missing out. Either way not having enough good form under our belt to make finals.
One of St Kilda or Essendon will stumble and the other sides outside of the top 8 won't be good enough to take advantage. We will be. 12-1-10 will do it. We'll win the remainder of our home games including upsetting Port with our full strength side having continuity by then.

Take it to the bank!

Any extra games a bonus but one or two are required to actually give the squad self belief they could do anything in finals.

No matter what happens from here, we stay in 9th. That draw actually may be helpful, come season's end

I did not see the whole game but when I did he looked lost
He did several times, few times he looked like he wasn’t sure if he was to go with a leading forward or hang back. I would say he did one good defensive spoil for the game which was great but his game was average.
That’s not all his fault with the lack of pressure on the ball carrier

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smith, Holmes, Close and Atkins combined for FOUR score involvements (one each).

Bruhn, Duncan, Rohan, Dangerfield, Stanley, Stengle, Tuohy, Hawkins or Miers had four or more each.

Atkins at least was a contested possession and tackling machine, so no worries there. The other three dropped their colours, especially when two of them were matched up against wingers that absolutely ran rampant all night (Gulden and Campbell: 16 score involvements between them).

Less helpful than a win.

We didn't even deserve the draw, and should have lost by about 10 goals. Kept our percentage too, and have North next week, so should help.

Players on the ground knew it when they went for the draw instead of the win in the dying seconds. Absolute luck that we got even 2 points out of it

The rest of the round, Essendon v Port (Port should win), Carlton v Hawthorn and St Kilda v WC. No teams below us can leapfrog us, and only teams above us can win - so we'll still be in 9th come next round.

In Round 17:

We then play North - should win
Crows play Bombers - Crows should win
Melb play Saints - Dees should win

Puts us back in the 8 next round with 7 rounds to go

Melbourne without Oliver in Geelong is an easier game than Richmond at the G. You rate them very highly but they've lost or been run close by plenty of average sides.
Bulldogs (our bunnies) not really a tougher assignment than Adelaide, especially when we got them.
Fremantle away not as tough as Port away - that one I'll give you.
Our intensity in the Melb game was a lot better than last night.
We were swarming them.
There was none of that last night. Just lazy slipped tackles and fumbles.

We are very inconsistent.

Our intensity in the Melb game was a lot better than last night.
We were swarming them.
There was none of that last night. Just lazy slipped tackles and fumbles.

We are very inconsistent.
Agreed. Although I thought in the second half it did improve. We looked sluggish but determined. First half was abysmal.

You make a good point though, the games we have beaten those top 8 sides we brought great heat around the footy and made a strong contest out of everything. Much better two way running as well. The ones we've dropped against the chasing pack we have been lethargic and lost as far as where to run or what to do. Hard to call it anything other than being passengers while we watch the opposition dictate the game.

Marks were a lot scarcer in the Melbourne game, because it was pissing down rain.

Interestingly, we finished with more marks inside 50 against Melbourne than we did last night, 12 vs 11, and in total only 2 marks less against Melbourne than we had last night, 71 vs 73

We weren't tight enough on Sydney over the first 3/4s last night - before 3 quarter time they had something like 60 odd marks but only 3 contested marks; we allowed them to move by foot too easily until we locked in on them

Yeah the one against King is the one that sticks in my mind. Could be more of a theoretical weakness given so few teams have a double combo up front like that.

He dominated Naughton the other year until Naughton was subbed off at halftime - 4 disposals, 1 mark & 1 behind in a half

Interestingly Naughton was all good to go the following week where he kicked 4 goals...

He finished runner up in our B&F in 2021 in a breakout year playing as a key defender - something that seems to have been forgotten

Remove this Banner Ad

Back