PS4 Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom

Remove this Banner Ad

10106270.jpg

Oh my god oh my god oh my god.

Excited for it.

Neve finished the first one, but I did really enjoy it.

A great addition to the playstation exclusive.

My only problem with the first ni no kuni was that the creatures were very unimaginative.

My only problem with the first ni no kuni was that the creatures were very unimaginative.
Do you just mean the names? Because I thought most of them were pretty cool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also coming to PC.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2017/01/26/12-things-you-need-to-know-about-ni-no-kuni-2-revenant-kingdom

A bunch of other interesting tidbits in there, along with some basic character/plot details. Important stuff:
“Sometimes with RPGs it can be daunting to play the sequel if you haven’t played the previous game,” he said. “To prevent that problem, we have created a new world with new characters. By avoiding having a direct connection with the first game, it should be more accessible to new players. That principal influenced the way we shaped the game.”
The focus of Revenant Kingdom is the land of Ni No Kuni, as opposed to being primarily focused on the fantasy world but with frequent trips back to Oliver's world, as was the case in the PS3 game.
Level-5 is introducing a kingdom building element, which will likely be pretty meaty.
For Revenant Kingdom, Familiars appear to be out altogether, and in their place are adorable little sprites called Higgledies. (...) The key change as far as combat is concerned is that you now only fight using Evan, Roland or Tani, with the Higgledies commanded through a pop-up menu.
This means the basic foundation of combat has been completely redesigned, and the changes appear geared to take fights further in a real-time direction. Indeed, while you still run into enemies on the field map to trigger battles, once you’re in a dungeon you simply approach and fight them like any other action game.

This works neatly with the Higgledies, who are commanded using L1. You can spot an enemy in the distance and command them to go and attack. Or you can choose from a number of over the top special attacks. You can even command them to leap on the backs of bosses to distract them and give you an opening to attack.

Higgledies come in several different varieties, and each seems to have an elemental affinity. Red Higgledies, for instance, harness the power of fire, with a swirling, flaming tornado special attack, while white ones are – I believe – snow or cold aligned, and have a huge hammer attack.

Up to four types of Higgledies can be equipped at a time and swapped between. Like the Familiar system from White Witch, using Higgledies against enemies that are weak to their elemental power will be a key part of combat.

Evan, Roland and Tani’s spells, meanwhile, are accessed using R1. As you'd expect, each character utilises a different weapon type and has a unique set of special attacks, and you can swap between them at will during combat. Hopefully it all amounts to a system that’s more elegant and fun than Wrath of the White Witch, without sacrificing too much in the way of depth.

Higgledies aren’t just a tool within combat, but factor into progression as well. Green Higgledies, for instance, harness the power of wind, and can activate certain points in the environment to create a bouncepad to vault Evan and team up to a higher, previously inaccessible area. It’s likely that several of the Higgledies have abilities like this.
“The first game was not intentionally made for kids,” Hino-san told me during our interview, “but because the protagonist was a child and the story unfolded from his viewpoint, it seemed that way to many players. Ni No Kuni 2 adds a more mature perspective.”
Yes, while the current build is sitting at 30fps, Hino-san made a point of saying that the final game will run at 60 frames per second – even on a standard PS4.

Wait there's no familiars? That's seems like a hugely s**t decision, tbh.
Agreed. Collecting and training the little scamps was a big part of the appeal for me. Guess we'll see as more comes out about the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back