Past Coach NMFC Senior Coach - David Noble has parted ways with NMFC

Coaches of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 bitter aftertaste in mouth but nonetheless - what's the markers for Noble this year after getting the first taste of real demonstrated form?

Someone made a wisecrack about Clarkson but the club would (I hope) maintain an objective view around all options available to them.

If we serve up 2 months straight of similarly disorganised football will there be a little more heat internally regardless of being tagged as a 'development' year?

LOL its Round 1 and you're sacking the coach ffs.

Round 1 bitter aftertaste in mouth but nonetheless - what's the markers for Noble this year after getting the first taste of real demonstrated form?

Someone made a wisecrack about Clarkson but the club would (I hope) maintain an objective view around all options available to them.

If we serve up 2 months straight of similarly disorganised football will there be a little more heat internally regardless of being tagged as a 'development' year?

I guess if it is the same problems in two months and no apparent changes to game plan etc yeah I’d be worried.

I guess the question is are the players being developed to fit the plan or is the plan fluid?

Regardless of plan and selection there are a few performances yesterday that were unacceptable, it’s how this is treated that will be the most telling for me.

LOL its Round 1 and you're sacking the coach ffs.
I think it is more about what we consider 'success' in the second year to continue down the course. I like Noble and have faith in him to set the club up (maybe not deliver a premiership, but set us on the right path), but we would be derelict in our duty to not look at external options.

Last edited:

barring an absolute disaster with injuries, more wins and competitive for longer periods are a must
Again start of the year I expected more wins now I’m almost convinced that it mightn’t be realistic, definitely competitiveness is a marker. Unfortunately I think many of the improvements mightn’t be quantitative this year

Again start of the year I expected more wins now I’m almost convinced that it mightn’t be realistic, definitely competitiveness is a marker. Unfortunately I think many of the improvements mightn’t be quantitative this year
So we drop round 1 and season over. At least you are consistent

Save your binary baiting sh*t for others.

2 other posters managed to read properly and respond intelligently to the post.

Save your mealy mouthed passive aggressive play both sides s**t for others.

Monday morning after a 20 point Rd1 loss and you post: "Someone made a wisecrack about Clarkson but the club would (I hope) maintain an objective view around all options available to them."

So we drop round 1 and season over. At least you are consistent
Not sure that is what I’m getting at. In terms of season over well im pretty sure we aren’t playing finals so
Development is the primary focus right?

My point is that I think our draw is pretty tough and expecting more wins as a mark of improvement might not be an ultimate gauge on our improvement, if it is well it is one of the games where we had our best chance of a win so I do think we are unlikely to win too many more than last year. Sure we can have an off day but the tasks are going to get harder but it is possible we can get on track with out winning games this year.

I agree with you the competitiveness is more important here and now. I’m just saying it might not be specifically numbers based but there will be performances that can show we’re the improvement is

We've had three coaches in the last four years.

Guys like LDU have had no continuity.

But let's talk about OTHER OPTIONS after Round 1.

Just laughable.

Not sure that is what I’m getting at.

My point is that I think our draw is pretty tough and expecting more wins as a mark of improvement might not be the be all and end all. I agree with you the competitiveness is more important here and now. I’m just saying it might not be specifically numbers based
And you made that point after losing round 1 by 20 points, like the loss to hawthorn has made you reassess everything. We are rebuilding, the club has declared this, not every single post needs to drip with absolute pessimism.

Save your mealy mouthed passive aggressive play both sides sh*t for others.

Monday morning after a 20 point Rd1 loss and you post: "Someone made a wisecrack about Clarkson but the club would (I hope) maintain an objective view around all options available to them."

Nice try. It's a nice sunny day out there so I'll leave the name calling to you to run with solo.

The main question was around visiting benchmarks for the coach now that we've had a first taste of reality.

The Clarkson or other coach point stands. Noble is on a rolling deal, the club would and should have markers on his performance and be aware of contingencies if things went south at the end of the year.

Doesn't mean we utilise them but we should be aware of the opportunity cost of any move we make.

And you made that point after losing round 1 by 20 points, like the loss to hawthorn has made you reassess everything. We are rebuilding, the club has declared this, not every single post needs to drip with absolute pessimism.

Well I edited my post to explain that, but no matter which way you slice it that was a very good chance to win a game and rebuilding sides aren’t going to get too much of them, I can’t expect too many more wins than last year but sure things could click and we sneak a few. However, on current evidence of PS and yesterday it’s really the only assume that one could make

And you made that point after losing round 1 by 20 points, like the loss to hawthorn has made you reassess everything. We are rebuilding, the club has declared this, not every single post needs to drip with absolute pessimism

Well I edited my post to explain that, but no matter which way you slice it that was a very good chance to win a game and rebuilding sides aren’t going to get too much of them, I can’t expect too many more wins than last year but sure things could click and we sneak a few. However, on current evidence of PS and yesterday it’s really the only assume that one could make
1 game in, and you were rambling on before the game even started.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am actually pretty astounded that we are here again.

Last year we took an unbalanced side into round 1. Too short forward, lacked cohesion in a lot of places.

This year we took an unbalanced side into round 1, too tall forward, too short back and lack cohesion in a lot of places.

Déjà vu is bang on the money. It may have looked different but it just felt the same.

Distribution off half back is dicey at best, ball movement forward of centre is diabolical.

Before the season I said we’d be doing well to climb out of the bottom 4, after yesterday I have legit fears of a second spoon.

I mean we will run into some type of form at some point but f*** we seem to make the hard harder.

1 game in, and you were rambling on before the game even started.
Well honestly, based on what has been shown so far do you think it’s realistic to expect more wins? Sure it’s only pre season, only round one….. it actually sucks we have our potential easiest matches in round 1 and 2, there is little time for things to click against a beatable opponent.

So we will need to look elsewhere for markers of improvement.

Again I only can base opinions based on evidence and have stated a number of times yesterday it is based on one game but whatever

We've had three coaches in the last four years.

Guys like LDU have had no continuity.

But let's talk about OTHER OPTIONS after Round 1.

Just laughable.

Noble is not without critique.

Anyone looking at our round 1 side knew that we were going land of the giant’s forward and ruck.

Noble wears that because he is who the buck stops with.

We absolutely could have won yesterday.

It’s on the coaches and the players that we didn’t.

We are in for a lean year in 22.

On the back of a lean year in 21.

Off the back of implosion in 2020.

Last year Noble spoke about the nourishment a win brings. I am disappointed that the opportunity to nourish the fans was not seized more readily. We put ourselves at a disadvantage at selection, knowing rebound would be a potential issue. The disadvantage became incredibly problematic when Buckets went down and they could isolate talls forward.

Noble is not without critique.

Anyone looking at our round 1 side knew that we were going land of the giant’s forward and ruck.

Noble wears that because he is who the buck stops with.

On this, the Dees just won a flag playing Gawn, Jackson, Brown and Tom McDonald.

Of course he isn't without critique.

But jeez, given the instability we've had in coaching, talking about turfing a bloke after one season and one game is just laughable stuff.

On this, the Dees just won a flag playing Gawn, Jackson, Brown and Tom McDonald.

But jeez, given the instability we've had in coaching, talking about turfing a bloke after one season and one game is just laughable stuff.
But he’s not really saying to turf a guy he is simply asking when does he get scrutiny.

Well honestly, based on what has been shown so far do you think it’s realistic to expect more wins? Sure it’s only pre season, only round one….. it actually sucks we have our potential easiest matches in round 1 and 2, there is little time for things to click against a beatable opponent.

So we will need to look elsewhere for markers of improvement.

Again I only can base opinions based on evidence and have stated a number of times yesterday it is based on one game but whatever
Based on what has been shown? As in one game. That's the point. Hardly a sample size to make the assessment we can't improve the win column. As I said, to say you are the ultimate pessimist during a rebuild is an understatement. And you were preppibg for this in your aptly name assorted rambling thread prior to the first bounce.

Yeah they did.

They also have a mature two way running midfield.

I actually have little issue with playing them and working through the teething problems. Would have held it for a game we are likely to loose anyhow.

I’ve set myself for another down year.

My point being if we roll with a more conventional/typical structure we have another runner, we may get better ball movement forward, trap it in a bit longer and win.

And we chose to trial something we’d not done before to find out whether it’d work.

In a year that is likely to be lean an early win would have been gold, it gives supporters something.

I have little doubt we will hit form and get wins at some point. There’s gonna be a bit to wade through yet till we get there.

Based on what has been shown? As in one game. That's the point. Hardly a sample size to make the assessment we can't improve the win column. As I said, to say you are the ultimate pessimist during a rebuild is an understatement. And you were preppibg for this in your aptly name assorted rambling thread prior to the first bounce.

Ok fair enough if you don’t share my thoughts on the matter but observing the pre season games and this one to me, and whilst yes we played two good sides and yes it was pre season we just played a side who weren’t all that great but handled us easily, perhaps it’s my nature and I need to work on that but just going through the fixture list it’s hard to see us winning many more games than we did last year.

Yeah they did.

They also have a mature two way running midfield.

I actually have little issue with playing them and working through the teething problems. Would have held it for a game we are likely to loose anyhow.

I’ve set myself for another down year.

My point being if we roll with a more conventional/typical structure we have another runner, we may get better ball movement forward, trap it in a bit longer and win.

And we chose to trial something we’d not done before to find out whether it’d work.

In a year that is likely to be lean an early win would have been gold, it gives supporters something.

I have little doubt we will hit form and get wins at some point. There’s gonna be a bit to wade through yet till we get there.

Agree on all, I just don't know if the three talls contributed to the loss as much as many think.

They got us 21 points up.

We lost our s**t and our cool in the third quarter and couldn't cope and right ourselves.

Not entirely sure that's CCJ's fault.

barring an absolute disaster with injuries, more wins and competitive for longer periods are a must
Agreed. And on yesterday's showing, 4-5 wins would be hard to achieve, let alone 8 that many of us thought was reallitic. Only one game I know, but given the quality of the opposition, the fact we had a reasonable amount of players to choose from - there are question marks that will need to be answered throughout the season.

Agree on all, I just don't know if the three talls contributed to the loss as much as many think.

They got us 21 points up.

We lost our sh*t and our cool in the third quarter and couldn't cope and right ourselves.

Not entirely sure that's CCJ's fault.

It was 4 talls.

Larkey is 200cms.

But for a bunch of it we looked confused as to what to do next.

Which in and of itself should raise questions about the coaching staff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back