Coach NMFC Senior Coach Rhyce Shaw - Ben Buckley announces NMFC & Shaw will part ways immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

Our brand under Rhyce - The Shinboner way :thumbsupemoji:

North Melbourne became a ferocious tackling side under Shaw, attacking the ball and man with an intent that saw rivals taken aback.

It was a statement of intent rather than a short-term emotional response.

“It is what we are going to be recognised for. It’s going to be our brand,” Rawlings said.

“Rhyce has been open, we put it on show in the second half of last year.

“It’s who we are and what we want to be so it’s how we train it and how we present it no matter what is thrown at it. We think it stands up in September so it’s why we are going to play that way.”

Last edited:

Main thing is - Rhyce is getting involved. Being up close an personal during drills can only be a good thing.

Hands on = positive :thumbsu:

Number 5 wont be far away.

Time is of the essence at Roos under Rhyce Shaw
By Peter Ryan
November 16, 2019 — 1.51pm
New North Melbourne coach Rhyce Shaw has made punctuality a non-negotiable at the Kangaroos as they prepare for the 2020 season.

A countdown clock now hovers over the training track at Arden Street to remind players how long before they are due on the track.

Any player not on the ground on time will not be allowed to train, affecting their chances of selection.

A similar rule has been instituted in relation to meetings with no-one allowed to open a closed door to make a late entry to team catch-ups.

If you are not there on time you miss out.

The simple rules mean people who struggle to be on time will soon change their ways and there will be no surprises either if there are ramifications for tardiness.

Although such disciplinary measures can carry danger, the group has bought into Shaw's strong commitment to being on time as they understand it is just one component of the broad range of qualities he brings to coaching.

His reputation as a relationship builder who respects his players as people has been well established and his work in the off season has been instrumental in keeping the club functioning smoothly.

As emerging forward Nick Larkey said on Friday, the 38-year-old rookie coach has the right balance between "being liked and being respected".

Shaw, who was twice named assistant coach of the year during his time at Sydney, has also emphasised his desire for the AFL and VFL programs to be aligned in all areas to make it easier for players making the transition from the VFL to the AFL.

With first to fourth years having been on the track for two weeks already the Kangaroos will welcome back to training club stalwarts Ben Cunnington, Shaun Higgins, Todd Goldstein and skipper Jack Ziebell.

The Kangaroos new CEO Ben Amarfio will begin shortly while former West Coast list manager Brady Rawlings will start as the Kangaroos' football manager next month when his 'gardening leave' expires soon after the national draft.

The club is still on the lookout for a new list manager after the departure of Michael McMahon.

North Melbourne will hit the national draft without a first-round draft pick after they made a pick swap during the trade period with Melbourne that saw them land picks 26, 50 and a future first round pick in exchange for pick 8.

Last edited:
As much as I loved Scott, I think I enjoyed watching the boys more under Shaw with his brand of football more then I ever did under Scotts brand.
Definitely very optimistic for 2020.

Loving those standards too. Reckon everyone will buy in to it. Seems to have everyones respect.

Seems a bit absolutist. If there's a traffic accident there isn't much one can do.
The one thing with these standards are, will they be enforced over all on the list?

I doubt if JZ was five seconds late out of the rooms, he would be kept off the track.
Yeah but "try as much as humanly possible to be punctual" doesn't make for as good an article does it?
Im sure there's reasonable exceptions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Snowflakes out, hardness in.

Yes, but I'll need to see something more than punctuality "hardness"

I wasn't aware that the players were slack about that in the first place.

Perhaps it's just something for the media.

Seems a bit absolutist. If there's a traffic accident there isn't much one can do.

I like it. If there’s a traffic accident then that’s a fair excuse but doesn’t mean the rule shouldn’t apply. Just that you miss the session/meeting. It’s then up to you to do something else with your time to prove you shouldn’t miss the match. Do a gym session, do some injury prevention work, go over opposition footage for the upcoming game etc.

Yes, but I'll need to see something more than punctuality "hardness"

I wasn't aware that the players were slack about that in the first place.

Perhaps it's just something for the media.
Or clearly stating expectations, rather than the unspoken club conventions.

The one thing with these standards are, will they be enforced over all on the list?

I doubt if JZ was five seconds late out of the rooms, he would be kept off the track.

I reckon JZ would not be allowed in. Most people know that you will only make yourself look weak if you don't carry through with your threats. I'd back Shaw to hold the line in this case. JZ won't be making that mistake...

Last edited:
I reckon JZ would not be allowed in. Most people know that you will only make yourself look weak if you don't carry hrough with your threats. I'd back Shaw to hold the line in this case. JZ won't be making that mistake...

Our previous coach being a case in point.

Yep, I get angrier and angrier with every snippet I hear about his methods. There's a good chance history will recall his time here as "the lost years".
History? Try the now. Bard's methods in his final years are being exposed in real time for what they are - lazy, incompetent and ineffectual.

Shaw saw the shambles from the inside and he is now fixing the low hanging fruit like skills training..any training.

You have to applaud these efforts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back