News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

If Tasmania got a team they would actually have supporters though.
Big games I reckon they could fill a 40k arena.

Correct.

Attendances have been low for many reasons (mostly due to getting the scraps of schedules - us being terrible hasn't helped btw for neutrals here), I assure you Hobart/Tasmanian people have checked out from the blatant money grab from both clubs (both us and Hawks should play all home games in Melb) and AFL nonsense.

I will always be North first (I mean that), however I want and will support a Tasmanian team and I believe we deserve it over these bullshit teams in GC and GWS.

sure, but the capital cost of a new stadium could be funded by good crowds at the existing venue(s)

Nah mate.

Bellerive cannot and will never be possible for an AFL quality stadium for a club (if that is what you meant, apologies if not)

It's a beautiful spot sure, beach and bars close by, but a new stadium has to happen of some degree as Bellerive (Blundstone) will not be anywhere near good enough for a Tassie AFL team even if upgraded again.

Wrong location for it's purposes now, it's locked in a pocket of residential with no space to expand, it simply can't work (I should know, I live 5 mins away)

Having spoken to a couple of AFL Presidents/ CEOs over the past couple of weeks, the Mercury article on the previous page is remarkably accurate. Things can still change, but as of now I believe they’ve pretty accurately identified the clubs against Hobart, although I suspect there may be at least one more. Also, at least one of those clubs is still in favour of relocating North (other than Collingwood). One person said the AFL does not currently want to relocate North. Also, some at AFL house are still bitter about North rejecting the relocation offer, including in subsequent conversations with the Hood. North has “had its chance” and the “offer” (by those generous pr!cks of the AFL) will not be made again. It is the view of some that if North was to get in financial strife in the future, then the club is on its own and could be allowed to fold. (Which makes me not want to think too hard about the potential consequences if the whole Clarko thing didn’t eventuate).

A unanimous vote isn’t necessary to get a Tassie team over the line, but Gil very much wants one and wants the team approved as part of his legacy (apparently bastardising and manipulating the sh!t out of the league hasn’t fully satisfied his ego). The stadium is needed but is also a convenient way of kicking the can down the road.

Finally, a caveat given the amount of sh!t Kingy has copped in the other thread: the above is what I have been told. If you think those people are wrong or full of sh!t, go ahead and think that. I’m not going to bother arguing or justifying myself to anyone because, quite frankly, my time is more precious than my ego.

Good night and god bless Tasmania, North Melbourne and dim sims.

Alastair Clarkson news: North Melbourne coach sends message to clubs against Tasmania AFL bid​

New North Melbourne coach Alastair Clarkson says it is “fundamentally wrong” to have an AFL without Tasmania and has a message for clubs who doubt a 19th team would succeed.

Glenn McFarlane

3 min read
August 27, 2022 - 8:00AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Alastair Clarkson has urged clubs to cast aside parochial interests and look at the big picture, insisting a national AFL competition will never be complete without a Tasmanian team.

As the 18 clubs prepare for a historic vote on the prospect of a 19th AFL franchise, the master coach said a stand-alone Tassie team could thrive in a football and financial sense.

Clarkson acted as an adviser to the Tasmanian AFL Taskforce and Tasmanian Government during his year out of coaching and believes a positive outcome would give the AFL a national boost.

“There is something philosophically and fundamentally wrong when a part of the country that has contributed so much to the history of our game has been neglected when the game has gone national,” Clarkson told News Corp.

“Even if you look at our constitution, they (Tasmania) are a part of our founding states. So if they are a part of that, and we have a national competition, they simply have to be in there.

“They are an AFL heartland down there. Together with South Australia, Western Australia and Victoria, that is where the game has evolved and where the strength of the game has been created in those four states. Yet one of those states isn’t represented at AFL level.”

Clarkson said the AFL clubs who expressed doubts about the financial viability of a Tasmanian team had an insular outlook, without considering what an extra club can bring to the table.

“There is not a person in the country who thinks they (Tasmania) shouldn’t be in there,” he said. “The only people (against it) are those who have got a vested interest in trying to protect their own clubs with a view that they are going to drain money out of the game.

“Hey, how about we consider the money they (Tasmania) might create in the game.”

Clarkson cited the negative viewpoint from some clubs about the establishment of the newest franchises in Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney who joined in 2011 and 2012.

“The narrative around GWS and Gold Coast is actually incorrect,” Clarkson said.

“They say they are draining money from the competition. They are not.

“Having those two teams in, in terms of broadcast money for the game, every club and every person involved in the game has benefited.

“The easy angle is to say that they (the new franchises) are getting paid a much greater dividend than the other clubs. (But) you go and see what is happening to those (established) clubs if those two teams are not in the competition.

“I am certain that Tassie would be the same.

“That is what they can do for the game in terms of bringing in revenue, what they can do for their own club in terms of a really special and unique model (in Tasmania), and in how they can structure it in terms of who runs and owns the club.”

He stressed that while Macquarie Point in Hobart would be an ideal location for a new state-of-the-art stadium, in terms of a sporting precinct akin to what has been developed in Adelaide and Perth, he felt as if the AFL was too obsessed with the stadium debate.

“I think we are all getting caught up far too much in the stadium,” he said, with Tasmania already having AFL standards venues in Hobart and Launceston.

“Macquarie Point is a magnificent site that could pioneer how venues and precincts could operate in this country.

Tasmania has launched its final push to be awarded the 19th AFL club, rolling out a new ad campaign that features a young girl running around the state with a footy, joined at times by past and present Tassie AFL greats.

“Whether we look at it in five years’ time and say we can only afford a $300 million stadium or if we actually say no, we are going to build this precinct and we can afford $600 or $700 or $800 million and we could partner up with universities and hospitals and event facilities with a hotel and convention centre, we could do something unbelievably special.”

He said the existing clubs can make a vote for the future of the national competition by rightfully including Tasmania.

“This isn’t about Tasmania,” he said.

“This is for the game and what we can do as an industry for the game.”

Alastair Clarkson news: North Melbourne coach sends message to clubs against Tasmania AFL bid​

New North Melbourne coach Alastair Clarkson says it is “fundamentally wrong” to have an AFL without Tasmania and has a message for clubs who doubt a 19th team would succeed.

Glenn McFarlane

3 min read
August 27, 2022 - 8:00AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Alastair Clarkson has urged clubs to cast aside parochial interests and look at the big picture, insisting a national AFL competition will never be complete without a Tasmanian team.

As the 18 clubs prepare for a historic vote on the prospect of a 19th AFL franchise, the master coach said a stand-alone Tassie team could thrive in a football and financial sense.

Clarkson acted as an adviser to the Tasmanian AFL Taskforce and Tasmanian Government during his year out of coaching and believes a positive outcome would give the AFL a national boost.

“There is something philosophically and fundamentally wrong when a part of the country that has contributed so much to the history of our game has been neglected when the game has gone national,” Clarkson told News Corp.

“Even if you look at our constitution, they (Tasmania) are a part of our founding states. So if they are a part of that, and we have a national competition, they simply have to be in there.

“They are an AFL heartland down there. Together with South Australia, Western Australia and Victoria, that is where the game has evolved and where the strength of the game has been created in those four states. Yet one of those states isn’t represented at AFL level.”

Clarkson said the AFL clubs who expressed doubts about the financial viability of a Tasmanian team had an insular outlook, without considering what an extra club can bring to the table.

“There is not a person in the country who thinks they (Tasmania) shouldn’t be in there,” he said. “The only people (against it) are those who have got a vested interest in trying to protect their own clubs with a view that they are going to drain money out of the game.

“Hey, how about we consider the money they (Tasmania) might create in the game.”

Clarkson cited the negative viewpoint from some clubs about the establishment of the newest franchises in Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney who joined in 2011 and 2012.

“The narrative around GWS and Gold Coast is actually incorrect,” Clarkson said.

“They say they are draining money from the competition. They are not.

“Having those two teams in, in terms of broadcast money for the game, every club and every person involved in the game has benefited.

“The easy angle is to say that they (the new franchises) are getting paid a much greater dividend than the other clubs. (But) you go and see what is happening to those (established) clubs if those two teams are not in the competition.

“I am certain that Tassie would be the same.

“That is what they can do for the game in terms of bringing in revenue, what they can do for their own club in terms of a really special and unique model (in Tasmania), and in how they can structure it in terms of who runs and owns the club.”

He stressed that while Macquarie Point in Hobart would be an ideal location for a new state-of-the-art stadium, in terms of a sporting precinct akin to what has been developed in Adelaide and Perth, he felt as if the AFL was too obsessed with the stadium debate.

“I think we are all getting caught up far too much in the stadium,” he said, with Tasmania already having AFL standards venues in Hobart and Launceston.

“Macquarie Point is a magnificent site that could pioneer how venues and precincts could operate in this country.

Tasmania has launched its final push to be awarded the 19th AFL club, rolling out a new ad campaign that features a young girl running around the state with a footy, joined at times by past and present Tassie AFL greats.

“Whether we look at it in five years’ time and say we can only afford a $300 million stadium or if we actually say no, we are going to build this precinct and we can afford $600 or $700 or $800 million and we could partner up with universities and hospitals and event facilities with a hotel and convention centre, we could do something unbelievably special.”

He said the existing clubs can make a vote for the future of the national competition by rightfully including Tasmania.

“This isn’t about Tasmania,” he said.

“This is for the game and what we can do as an industry for the game.”

Totally agree with him. Tassie pays for itself pretty much and long term will be a resounding success. Bigger is better for the afl and they should be planning to get to 20 games per week for increased broadcast revenue which at the end of the day, the main priority.

Totally agree with him. Tassie pays for itself pretty much and long term will be a resounding success. Bigger is better for the afl and they should be planning to get to 20 games per week for increased broadcast revenue which at the end of the day, the main priority.
Expansion is good, but having 40 teams is over the top in my view.

The economic benefit for the new stadium is based on it being used 44 times a year
The tassie based side will play in hobart 8 times and 3 in launnie with 2 preseason games
I can only assume tassie will need to keep bringing hawks and nmfc to tassie to keep launceston people happy and get 4 games in hobart
Anticipating 13 games in hobart
And tassie gets 13 home ground advantage games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great spot for a stadium.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the rest of the site developments.

Pretty handy having Saul Eslake on the board of directors too, as a long time advocate.

The economic benefit for the new stadium is based on it being used 44 times a year
The tassie based side will play in hobart 8 times and 3 in launnie with 2 preseason games
I can only assume tassie will need to keep bringing hawks and nmfc to tassie to keep launceston people happy and get 4 games in hobart
Anticipating 13 games in hobart
And tassie gets 13 home ground advantage games
Interesting point. So it doesn’t say how they arrive at there being 44 games?

Does anyone else think 23K is not big enough? Would have thought 30K to 35K would be the ideal boutique footy stadium size.

Surely as a North fan you would appreciate.

Mostly full stadium > the one or two occasions a year where the full capacity is required.

I'd move to a 25-30k stadium in a heart beat if we could, even with 40,000 members.

We have a weird obsession with having stadiums big enough for a random capacity once a year where a few thousand people might not be able to attend. Not a great fan POV, but ideally you want to be turning fans away each wee, not having thousands or 10,'s of thousands of empty seats per game.

In fact exclusivity and full stadiums tends to breed more demand for tickets with a better atmosphere, as it does with a lot of grounds in the UK.

Sides like Leeds have a waiting list for season tickets 1.5x their ground capacity and most local people can't watch the games live on TV due to broadcasting rules that protect attendances.

At this point you can lockout a large portion of the away support also and create the cauldron atmosphere. The only one really with a comparable setup at the moment like that is Geelong.

Australia's stadiums in general are far too big for their average use. Despite fairly large average attendances, the amount of empty seats in every AFL game is a really really poor look in terms of global sports. Yes, we pack out some of these stadiums for 7-8 games per season, but it's a minor % for the 176 games played in Melbourne per year.

Last edited:
You’d assume that the stadium design allows for a future increase in capacity if needed. If so, then the 23k capacity makes sense. It’s probably only going to be the games against the biggest drawing clubs that will sell out regularly, or be anywhere near close to a sellout. Games against GC, GWS, Freo and Port etc would be lucky to pull more than the 11-15k range you would imagine.
The Mac Point location makes the stadium a much more attractive proposition than Blundstone.

Interesting point. So it doesn’t say how they arrive at there being 44 games?
It's 44 events, not games.

Cricket will bring a bunch - BBL, WBBL, internationals for men and women.

Concerts, too - a few of those each year.

But that's not really for the AFL to consider - that's all up to the Tasmanian government to decide, if they're building the thing.

Laughable that we can “stump up” $375m to fund a freakin stadium that will be a white elephant and yet the hospital’s have ******* ambulances ramped every ******* day!!!
* the tassie team!
Yeah it's a tough one based on what people are experiencing at the moment in health and housing but I don't think they're mutually exclusive things. Tas Gov has earmarked $11B for health across next few years (spending about $8M a day). Also building new social housing stock in the hundreds each year. I think we need to make sure these things are the priorities but I reckon there's room for AFL aspirations also - this would change our State!

Surely as a North fan you would appreciate.

Mostly full stadium > the one or two occasions a year where the full capacity is required.

I'd move to a 25-30k stadium in a heart beat if we could, even with 40,000 members.

We have a weird obsession with having stadiums big enough for a random capacity once a year where a few thousand people might not be able to attend. Not a great fan POV, but ideally you want to be turning fans away each wee, not having thousands or 10,'s of thousands of empty seats per game.

In fact exclusivity and full stadiums tends to breed more demand for tickets with a better atmosphere, as it does with a lot of grounds in the UK.

Sides like Leeds have a waiting list for season tickets 1.5x their ground capacity and most local people can't watch the games live on TV due to broadcasting rules that protect attendances.

At this point you can lockout a large portion of the away support also and create the cauldron atmosphere. The only one really with a comparable setup at the moment like that is Geelong.

Australia's stadiums in general are far too big for their average use. Despite fairly large average attendances, the amount of empty seats in every AFL game is a really really poor look in terms of global sports. Yes, we pack out some of these stadiums for 7-8 games per season, but it's a minor % for the 176 games played in Melbourne per year.

Good points and agree if it was a stadium for us to play at, it would be great. Does make memberships a premium and better atmosphere etc.

I was more thinking of it's overall/general use as the main, multi-purpose, under cover stadium in Hobart/Tas - other events, concerts. Do you build something for the peak or the average? I was thinking the peak but, yeah, good points to the average. And to your point.... The population of Hobart is circa 250K and Tas just over 500K and thinking that though you'd need just under 10% of the entire Hobart population to fill it each week. Big ask perhaps.

Longer term if 23K is a success it creates a real life business case for a stadium that size in Melbourne for us and others to use. AFL owning Marvel would not want to cannibalise their revenue from there though...

We'll just have to get 60,000 plus members and get 40,000 turning up each week!!

Does anyone else think 23K is not big enough? Would have thought 30K to 35K would be the ideal boutique footy stadium size.
It’s interesting, we did our original “case study” on 25k, so I’m not sure why there’s a capacity difference? Unfortunately I’ve moved to another facilities project, so my involvement now is most likely done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back