News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

Good on BIg Ben Buckley for stating it in a public forum. Fair enough it might not be worth much if you want to take it that way but I appreciate the club putting it out there.

Along with the reserved seat thing being sorted to a degree I think they have done ok in addressing a couple of glaring issues.

Heath may no longer have an account but I reckon he logs on and takes a few notes.

Good on BIg Ben Buckley for stating it in a public forum. Fair enough it might not be worth much if you want to take it that way but I appreciate the club putting it out there.

Along with the reserved seat thing being sorted to a degree I think they have done ok in addressing a couple of glaring issues.

Heath may no longer have an account but I reckon he logs on and takes a few notes.

100% agree. I think membership numbers down and the backlash has forced them to make a statement.

Probably doesn’t mean much (ie. Ben could just resign at anytime or get his appetite back) but it’s enough for me to call the club tomorrow and renew.

Put it in the constitution that the club can't go more than 4. Bet we wont.

Lets dig out the quote where Funky said we weren't interested in more than 3 games. I think it is short-sighted and will do long-term damage. Lets hope we have some on-field success so we can wallpaper over the cracks and call it a success.

You mean this quote?

“We’re comfortable with playing three games in Hobart, we’re very supportive of growing football in Tasmania in partnership with the Tassie government and Football Tasmania and the AFL. But at this point in time we don’t see any need or have any great desire to play any more games.’’

Put it in the constitution that the club can't go more than 4. Bet we wont.

Lets dig out the quote where Funky said we weren't interested in more than 3 games. I think it is short-sighted and will do long-term damage. Lets hope we have some on-field success so we can wallpaper over the cracks and call it a success.

Stop whining and organise getting someone on the board!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not ****ing rocket science!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stop your whining and organise an "Adult's Only" Forum if what you read on Big Footy is not to your satisfaction. :stern look

It ain't Rocket Surgery. :stern look

AFL boss Gillon McLachlan describes Tasmanian team as the ‘elephant in the room’
Jon Ralph, Herald Sun
6 minutes ago
Subscriber only

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan has canvassed club bosses on whether they believe Tasmania needs a stand-alone AFL team.

McLachlan’s open question to the league’s club chief executives on Thursday sparked a strong discussion as the league boss described the question as the elephant in the room.

The debate comes as Gold Coast admits it needs to start over with its list amid questions about its long-term viability given the league continues to pour millions into keeping the club afloat.

North Melbourne has upped its commitment to Tasmania to four games next season, with Hawthorn also playing four games there under a long-running deal.

Both clubs have strong home-ground advantages, with Hawthorn playing in Launceston and the Roos in Hobart.

But neither club is keen to play more than their allocated number of games in Tasmania and believe their future lies in Melbourne.

North Melbourne chairman Ben Buckley as recently as yesterday made clear the Roos would never relocate to Tasmania.

“We have no appetite to play more than four games in Tasmania and we have made that explicitly clear to the AFL,” Buckley said.

“We are committed to growing the game and the development pathways of players in the state, but will not entertain more than four games under my leadership.

“Hawthorn also plays four games in Tasmania, and we feel the model works well and the balance is right. We have no desire to change the model as it stands.”

3aa148e9f63b74906c008557ff6a3b43

North Melbourne drafted Tasmanian Tarryn Thomas from its Next Generation Academy zone. Picture: Michael Klein

McLachlan last month repeated his belief that the Suns will turn around their fortunes in a similar manner to Brisbane, which has established a healthy culture and stemmed the bleeding after a series of player losses to southern states.

But with no likelihood of a 19th team in the near future, any team moving to Tasmania would likely be the result of one the existing 18 teams relocating rather than starting afresh.

An AFL team in Tasmania would need as much as $40 million of revenue to stay afloat.

But one AFL chief executive pointed out on Thursday that given the AFL and state government’s investment into a team, Tasmania might need to find as little as $10-$12 million of extra investment to make it financially viable.

But one AFL chief executive pointed out on Thursday that given the AFL and state government’s investment into a team, Tasmania might need to find as little as $10-$12 million of extra investment to make it financially viable.

I have no particular issue with a Tasmanian team, I'd have happily subsidised them over GC / GWS however I don't think that it is as simple as the above. The current investment by TasGov is based on attracting supporters of Melbourne teams (primarily the home team - ie. NM / HAW) and the ensuing economic benefits to the state in tourism, accommodation etc. I don’t think many of those same flow on benefits exist in the same way for a fully Tasmanian team – although obviously they would still have a reasonable pull for Melbourne based supporters of the away teams… whether that is sustainable in the long term I’m not sure. My gut is that they would struggle for large corporate sponsorship and would need to have a model that relied on very tight stadium capacity and premium seating (ie. gouging the supporters). Whether that is viable today or long term I have no idea.

Simple solution move the suns there, ASAP... which mean’s whoreforn are out and so are north and the money we get......just sayin....

Whining is the first step in the process to action. :stern look

Besides, it isn't easy to get someone who isn't part of the boys club on the board, ask the people here who tried. Unless you are someone who has a significant public profile it is hard to break into the boys club. Is there anyone on the board that hasn't been hand picked and put into the position without having to get publicly elected first?

The club will end up with a lot of proxy votes by default, you will need to basically fill out the AGM with people loyal to you and that isn't going to happen without giving the club a lot of warning that you a threat to whomever is up for election. Last time that happened, the club aggressively campaigned for proxy votes to veto that push for the board spot.

In the short-term, there is nothing we can do to undo what has already been done even if someone makes it through to the board and will unlikely have the power to change anything on their own even if they get on the board. Given the hurdles, whining is an attractive alternative at this stage.

Adding because it wouldn't work anyway doesn't make it any more valid to whine here and do nothing.

Simple solution move the suns there, ASAP... which mean’s whoreforn are out and so are north and the money we get......just saying....
Pretty much this. The answer is staring the AFL straight in the eyes. However as Gil is such an egotistical prick and he was part of the team trying to move us to GC, he wouldn't even contemplate relocating GC. Can you imagine him saying the AFL got it wrong and that a sporting club in Gold Coast just does not work. I know I cant. The AFL will continue supporting GCS even though they know they are just wasting money.

Gil just reminds me of that kid that owns the cricket gear and when he is given out and he doesn't like the decision, he just takes his bat and ball and goes home because he is never wrong.

Caro heading down to Tassie tomorrow

upload_2018-11-29_17-58-26.png

Really? Has this w***er ran it past our club?

Surely he has packed up his family and moved down there now in order to facilitate his great work?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back