Universal Love No booing Jackson Trengove

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched it live. I got the sense Jackson deliberately left the ground on his own to see what sort of reaction he’d get. I think he got exactly the response he was looking for....
And deservedly. In a move on quick world. This to me is one case where its a touch hard to move on.

Be weird seeing that post as a dogs supporter. His heart is clearly still 100% with Port.

Part of me still hopes that after he’s done at the Dogs we give him another year at Port as backup and his first game for us at home he slots a goal. Crowd would go mental.

Love the sentiment but if that happens shoot me.

If Jacko was willing to be a backup ruck/kpd on like 250-300k instead of 700k, he'd probs still be here. He also would have played when Ryder got injured instead of screwing our whole structure up by moving Hoff and Dixon around.

If Jacko was willing to be a backup ruck/kpd on like 250-300k instead of 700k, he'd probs still be here. He also would have played when Ryder got injured instead of screwing our whole structure up by moving Hoff and Dixon around.

He made the right decision for his family and future after football.

From the comments on that Insta post...

127290f1-b6ba-4322-bf22-1b02de298683.png

Yeah I thought that but I guess he had his family to consider.
Hope he doesn’t become the Bulldogs whipping boy.
Then if he had stayed perhaps Impey would have too and I’m not sure how I’d feel about that.

Pity there wasn't someone called FriendofBiglands who said SPP could have cleaned you up like Choppy did to Rhett ;)

The situation wasnt really like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then if he had stayed perhaps Impey would have too and I’m not sure how I’d feel about that.
Football wise the club is in a much better spot with them gone. Harsh but true

Impey had to go but we made a mistake thinking Frampton was ready to be our backup ruck.

The situation wasnt really like that.

He had a contract in front of him for quite awhile that he didn't want to sign, did he not?

No mention of his current club at all in that tweet :D Even looking through the rest of his Instagram, back at Port every second photo was him in Port gear and/or doing something with his Port teammates, now it's all just family stuff. You'd barely know what team he plays for. That photo of he and Dixon hugging is the only photo from a Dogs game on there.

I'm not silly enough to think that Jackson's #1 goal as a footballer isn't to win a flag himself, but if, say, he'd done some sort of injury where he'd missed a fair amount of football, and Port were playing the Bulldogs in a GF, I genuinely think he'd secretly still want us to win it. It's like when Brad Ebert was at West Coast and would blow off his teammates to watch Port games on TV. Jacko is still a Port man all over.

Last edited:
There has to be room for nuance.

If a guy leaves because of pressing family reasons (Impey), or because they have no future at the club (Trengove, Lobbe), or for greater opportunities (Young, Ah Chee) or at worst it's mutually beneficial (Pearce), I personally have no problem with them.

But guys who leave taking needless parting shots (Chaplin, Thomas), or because it's all a bit too hard (Burgoyne), or stiff the club with selfish demands (Stevens), or their heart was never in it in the first place (Jacobs), are a completely different kettle of fish.

There is definitely such a thing as going about it the right way.
Agree very strongly with all of that.

Be weird seeing that post as a dogs supporter. His heart is clearly still 100% with Port.

Part of me still hopes that after he’s done at the Dogs we give him another year at Port as backup and his first game for us at home he slots a goal. Crowd would go mental.
Best we could do is give him Summo's spot as the over 28 Leadership player at the Maggies under the current rules.

But while his heart would probably say yes, his family is in Melbourne, as is his partner's, and having 2 sets of grand parents close by to help out with 3 young kids, the head would say no.

Was chatting to my Dad last night about the game on Thursday which he watched on TV. Apparently James Brayshaw was going into bat for Lindsay Thomas pretty hard while the rest of the dickheads were doing their usual scum of the earth routine. Good on him. Obviously Lindsay left North with similar well wishes to the way that Jackson left us. As tribey said, there's definitely a right way of doing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back