No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have far more ability to be able to go with Melbourne in most facets of the game. Can't see us allowing Melbourne to walk it out of defence or stoppage like they were allowed last night

There was a moment in the third quarter last night when the penny dropped for Melbourne. You could see in their demeanour that they realised, actually, this is pretty easy. And they began to treat Geelong with contempt. As enjoyable as it was to see the Cats being owned and disrespected in a final, Melbourne would want to forget that attitude immediately.

I haven't updated the figures, but I recall doing the sums a few months ago and Geelong have played in prelims (or better) on average every second season in the last 35 odd years, converting those appearances into just 3 premierships (roughly 17% of prelim appearances go onto a flag).

I've got no idea what an average conversion rate from prelims is, and that may be the standard, but be pretty frustrating being a cats fan.

What are we in recent history? 1 from 4? 25%

2 from 5 feels a lot nicer!
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that the average conversion rate across the league of prelim appearances to flags is exactly 25%.

I’m sure it’s been covered in earlier pages, but how’s Melbourne’s charmed injury luck.

May goes off with a hammy and looks done for the GF…. Then comes back on.

Meanwhile our players do injuries in the dying minutes.

I reckon an injury run like Melbourne this year happens once in a lifetime and you better make the most of it.

While it generally was a Berejiklian like performance from Chris Scott at his presser last night, with some beautiful “I don’t want to say but…” monologues of “not excuses but reasons” and subtle references to other clubs…..but it was very magnanimous and out of character to give a shout out to the Bulldogs having to endure circumstances during the finals preparations they should never happen again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually thought it was obvious Geelong were struggling late in the season. Our meltdown covered their tracks a bit, but the loss to GWS at home was a disaster, as was blowing a 40+ point lead to Melbourne and they narrowly beat St Kilda and North.

They were physically cooked, and Scott more or less said it last night. There was a hint of that with us - I just saw some of the last quarter against Port and our mids were labouring badly - but hopefully we’ve turned the corner.

Slightly concerned we’re just too banged up. All of Bont, Treloar, Dunkley and Libba have looked sore for a while. Get over the line though, and we’ve got weeks to get right.

wow the cats are old
MelbourneAttributeGeelong
187.1cmHeight189.3cm
85.7kgWeight89.3kg
24yr 10mthAge28yr 3mth
97.8Games161.0

While it generally was a Berejiklian like performance from Chris Scott at his presser last night, with some beautiful “I don’t want to say but…” monologues of “not excuses but reasons” and subtle references to other clubs…..but it was very magnanimous and out of character to give a shout out to the Bulldogs having to endure circumstances during the finals preparations they should never happen again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
its a fair call from Scott, and makes me concerned our game might blow out if we get down early.

I reckon an injury run like Melbourne this year happens once in a lifetime and you better make the most of it.
I think the injury excuse is a bit overstated. They have a strong gamestyle that has buy in from all their players and has made some very ordinary players look better than they are. I think they'd cover for those injuries about as well as we did if they came.

The mute button or channel changer will be our friend 🙂
I usually switch off once the siren goes. If it’s not the Dogs, that’s the end of footy for me for the year. Not interested in reviews or replays.
C'mon guys, it's no different to Johnno and Darce when we beat GWS in 2016. I personally love seeing the passion of the past players come out.

I think the injury excuse is a bit overstated. They have a strong gamestyle that has buy in from all their players and has made some very ordinary players look better than they are. I think they'd cover for those injuries about as well as we did if they came.
I agree with this and certainly don’t begrudge them, just find the contrast of their luck with it vs ours quite different

Probably, but a clean bill of health helps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt Melbourne were super impressive last night, but jeez they got a bit lairy and happy with themselves in that last quarter.

If that's their only hit out in a month (and the previous game was another pretty soft kill ; Brisbane away from the Gabba), reckon we'd give them a real shock as a super hardened unit after our month.

Just got to find a way tonight.

No doubt Melbourne were super impressive last night, but jeez they got a bit lairy and happy with themselves in that last quarter.

If that's their only hit out in a month (and the previous game was another pretty soft kill ; Brisbane away from the Gabba), reckon we'd give them a real shock as a super hardened unit after our month.

Petracca, Oliver and gawn sat most of the 4th quarter on the bench. After not much football, not sure if that means they'll be super fresh or under done

They didn't have much trouble switching on at the beginning of that match though. I think Oliver G posted that they were rated "super elite" in terms of pressure. I'd expect the same in the first quarter in two weeks.

Bit of an Adelaide 2017 feel. However, I do think the dees team is right to be confident whoever they play in the GF. That was impressive last night, no matter what you think of Geelong.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that the average conversion rate across the league of prelim appearances to flags is exactly 25%.
I'm sure some teams would love to equal the statistical average of converting prelim appearances into premierships 25% of the time but GWS, Freo, saints and Dees are running at zero percent in the same period.

Hawks on the other hand convert prelims into premierships 75% of the time in the same period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back